Advertisement

loader

Talk

Advanced search

To give dd mmr at this stage?

(18 Posts)
mollysmum82 Mon 08-Oct-12 12:17:12

Dd didn't have the full mmr at 13 months, she had separate measels and rubella instead. This was because:

She was severely allergic to eggs

She had been in hospital every month for the first year of her life with breathing problems, she spent a lot of time in neonatal, she had severe eczema, i had bad pnd and to be honest i just couldn't face her having more complications

I taught many autustic children who's parents were convinced it was due to the mmr

But now she's approaching preschool age I'm having a rethink. She's a lot less 'sickly' now and I do worry she's not protected against mumps. Do you know if the mmr vaccine is considered safer at preschool age than at 13 months? Wwyd? Many thanks

MsVestibule Mon 08-Oct-12 12:25:53

WWID? I'd be asking the opinion of my GP/nurse rather than a load of people on MN who probably won't have the relevant medical expertise.

As far as I am concerned the MMR vaccination is safe, full stop. The supposed risks of the vaccination have been thoroughly debunked many times over and I trust the opinions of scientists vs poorly-informed parents. I'd have her vaccinated.

clpsmum Mon 08-Oct-12 12:29:49

I have three ds, ds 1 had NMR one year later he got mumps, ds2 also had MMR he had a reaction to it then we discovered he had autism. Draw your own conclusions I personally hold MMR partially responsible. Ds3 not had MMR at all. It's such a personal decision and one that only you can make xxx

TM08 Mon 08-Oct-12 12:33:08

My brother contracted scarlet fever after his MMR at 2, and then again at his booster at 5. His tongue became grossly swollen and he could hardly breathe.

The first instance, the doctors put it down to coincidence, claiming it had nothing to do with MMR - that's the only reason my mum gave him the booster.

Definitely speak to your HV/GP though. Although it might be harmless to the vast majority of people, there are still a lot of people who it doesn't agree with.

If she has had 2 out of the 3 singles why not just give her the mumps vaccine?

mollysmum82 Mon 08-Oct-12 12:41:04

Mumps vaccine isn't available any more unfortunately. Thanks everyone for your replies

Is that definately true though?? My DS had the singles and rumours were rife then that the measles vaccine had run out. It hadn't..............have you checked this out seriously.

MsVestibule Mon 08-Oct-12 12:46:40

I don't know if it's available on the NHS or not, but if that is definitely the case, have you looked into getting it done privately?

vodkaanddietirnbru Mon 08-Oct-12 12:47:03

the single mumps has not been available for some time as Merck stopped making it

KenLeeeeeee Mon 08-Oct-12 12:47:28

I really don't think you're going to get reliable answers from a bunch of internet weirdos forum, but it's a good idea to speak to your GP. I had a conundrum over ds2's jabs because I was convinced that he hadn't had his MMR (due to a series of clerical fuck-ups at our old doctors) but all the paperwork said he HAD had it. The new dr (when we moved house) said that it was best for him to have it again anyway because you can't really over-vaccinate.

I don't know if that helps at all! Sorry.

vodkaanddietirnbru Mon 08-Oct-12 12:51:32

single mumps is not privately as the company who made it stopped production of the single vaccine in favour of the MMR vaccine

jellybeans Mon 08-Oct-12 12:54:12

My DTs were 2 when they had their first MMR. I think you should give it to her. We trust these same professionals when our children are ill, well that was what I concluded. I couldn't see why pediatricians would recommend it if it was dangerous etc. Out of my 5 DC only one had a mild reaction of diarrhea for a few months. Can't be sure it was MMR but she was rigid and screaming for hours afterwards. She was prone to extreme tantrums though!

FrustratedSycamorePants Mon 08-Oct-12 12:54:33

My dd has autism. (Not the type where they regress) I put off her booster until I had taken advice from more than one doctor. And after the following ideas/opinions were given to me, as dd already had autusm the booster wouldn't make any difference. There is no proof/studies that show the single jabs to be safer. The alternative of no jabs has consequences. And the doctor who said there was a link is no longer practicing (struck off).

Bummer!! I have to say, given the choice of MMR or no vaccine then I would go for the MMR. Shame it's another choice being taken away though.

EugenesAxe Mon 08-Oct-12 13:03:46

It's hard to know but personally I wouldn't have an issue. My DS has had both jabs and he is 2yr 9m - they told me there's no evidence to suggest you need to wait for the second, so he had it about - I dunno - 6 months after the first that he had at a year old? In terms of reactions - he had a measles rash and rubella rash after the first, and temperature spikes with both of those. Second time absolutely nothing (because obviously, his body had produced the antibodies in response to the first).

At the moment he doesn't have autism but he may develop it I suppose. I've ALWAYS thought the now completely disproved 'research' has sowed the seeds of doubt and then the fact that autism often shows up around the time the jabs are given, are what has made a lot of people link the two.

mollysmum82 Mon 08-Oct-12 21:06:57

Thanks so much for your replies everyone. I'm so sorry to those posters who's children have been badly affected by the mmr. Its so hard to know what to do.

trixymalixy Mon 08-Oct-12 21:12:51

Hi, my kids are both allergic to eggs. I put off giving them the MMR until they were over two as I thought their immune system would cope with it a bit better if they were bigger. They were both fine with it in the end.

The thing that gave me the push to do it was DS being hospitalised with asthma for a week after a virus that the rest of the family shook off quite easily. I felt that contracting measles, mumps or rubella would be more of a risk for him that children who were completely healthy and decided to give him the MMR.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now