Talk

Advanced search

to buy an innotab 2 for a nearly 7 year old?

(19 Posts)
ChinchChaser Mon 08-Oct-12 09:59:53

Ds 6 spotted a real ipad on display in supermarket and had to be prised away from the touch screen so i thought buying something age appropriate for christmas may be an idea but all the reviews are for 3 and 4 year olds. He will be nearly 7 by christmas, not clued up technology wise has an old nintendo ds that he plays simple games on but hates to lose and cant really read yet. Reason im considering something like this as ds is not really a toy fan unless its vehicles or Dr Who and rarely plays with his toys. Will a 7 year old be too old for innotab? cant find anything between young child and adult, dont want to spend alot as he is very rough with things and would likely get broken.

BigFatLegsInWoolyTIghts Mon 08-Oct-12 10:03:49

I think he'd be better with an ipod touch tbh. Most kids of 7 and 8 have DSis and ipod touches. He will get bored with innotab I should think.

BigFatLegsInWoolyTIghts Mon 08-Oct-12 10:04:41

Oh I see he can't really read yet...well then in that case get him the innotab....it will help him along with reading won't it.

ChiefOwl Mon 08-Oct-12 10:08:48

I would get an iPod touch....

BigFatLegsInWoolyTIghts Mon 08-Oct-12 10:09:52

Well I thought that...but if he can't read...maybe they have games that are good for kids who are a bit younger though and they would suit? ipod touches are supposed to be very good.....I asked on here and was told that people's kids in the main adore them.

ChinchChaser Mon 08-Oct-12 10:22:44

thanks, his reading is apparently at the level it should be at school but mostly its by memory if i ask him to read something somewhere other than a school book he cant. Ideally i want something not too expensive that he can play some games on, listen to music and has a camera and is kid tough (he frequently drops his ds)

dancemom Mon 08-Oct-12 10:28:33

The Innotab doesnt have a camera. I got my dd one the Christmas before last. She likes it for car journeys etc but she has just turned 7 and i wouldnt buy her one st this age. I have got her an IPod Touch with built in camera for Christmas.

The Innotab has games etc that would help with reading, you can load music onto it and even movies and is very sturdy.

ChinchChaser Mon 08-Oct-12 11:09:46

hi dancemom its the innopad 2 i was looking as the new one has a camera, the games do look very babyish though thomas the tank etc ds is more a dr who fan, i will keep looking...

ChiefOwl Mon 08-Oct-12 11:18:48

Could you get a family iPad? I have to say they are brilliant. My dc are 7 and 4 and we all share it. Dd does have an iPod touch though and a ds. Ds uses my phone or my old ds

cestlavielife Mon 08-Oct-12 11:23:04

ipad with sturdy case like gumdrop or griffin or otterbox -will be used for longer

TheSitChewAceChien Mon 08-Oct-12 11:31:49

I've just bought one for my non reading DS (5)
It seems quite good so far, brilliant for learning phonics.

I've downloaded a few Peppa Pig episodes on it because he's taking it on the plane next week.
You can also get Wallace and Gromit, Horrible Histories...

If you decide to get one Smyths have them for £59.99 delivered.
They're coming in and out of stock, so if they're showing out of stock, check back often smile

apostropheuse Mon 08-Oct-12 11:34:53

I believe the new Innotab has got a camera.

I just got my grandson (4) the original innotab for his birthday and he loves it. I believe when you go online to download games/apps you type in the child's age group and can buy cheap age-appropriate stuff that way. It comes with some things on it, but I bought a cartridge for it. My daughter bought a couple of e-books and three games for about £10, so it's pretty reasonable.

apostropheuse Mon 08-Oct-12 11:35:46

Oh, incidentally, the e-books highlight the words and a voice reads along with the child. They can also highlight a word that they don't understand and they're given an explanation.

Exexe Mon 08-Oct-12 11:36:44

You can buy tablets fairly cheaply. Theres one on Amazon for about £48 that may be good for a child.

www.amazon.co.uk/ePad-Android-Tablet-Touchscreen-Capability/dp/B006YO4OQM/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1349692402&sr=8-1

Beanbagz Mon 08-Oct-12 11:38:27

I would wait a couple of weeks and there are rumours that Apple are going to announce an iPad mini.

Or there's the Kindle Fire?

BigFatLegsInWoolyTIghts Mon 08-Oct-12 11:42:04

Oooh ipad mini! Whats a Kindle Fire?

TimrousBeastie Mon 08-Oct-12 11:44:48

My son (6) got a innotab for christmas last year and I think he's only picked it up a handful of times. So based on that I wouldn't recommend them.This yearI am thinking about getting him and my daughter (9) an ipod touch. The fact that the games are cheaper and can be put onto both devices is going massively in there favour-fed up of fights over ds games.

monkeysbignuts Mon 08-Oct-12 12:15:58

I wouldn't bother with the innotab for that age. Our 5 year old has one and to be honest he is a bit grown up for it, our 3 year old enjoys it more.
Get a cheap tablet that is durable and down load apps instead.

Beanbagz Mon 08-Oct-12 13:23:06

Kindle Fire

Email, Google, games and Kindle books/magazines. Think you can also watch Love Film on it too though you'd want to set the Parental Controls.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now