Talk

Advanced search

To think that 13/14 year olds don't need to stand outside school having a cigarette at 8am in the morning?

(64 Posts)
Sparklingbrook Mon 08-Oct-12 09:42:25

I happened to drop DS2 at Primary this morning. He usually cycles to school. They must have chosen to smoke there instead of outside their own school.
It just made me sad

WorraLiberty Mon 08-Oct-12 09:43:39

If they're addicted to nicotine then yes, they do need it really.

I couldn't have started the school day without a cigarette at that age - sadly.

GoSakuramachi Mon 08-Oct-12 09:45:13

teenagers in smoking shocker! Who knew?

Sparklingbrook Mon 08-Oct-12 09:45:48

I don't want to be horrible. Girls in their school uniform having a fag before school just doesn't sit right with me.

I have a 13 year old DS they seem so much older.....

tiggytape Mon 08-Oct-12 09:46:18

If they're smoking in school uniform, I would report it to their school.
They may well be addicted but it isn't acceptable for them to hang around a younger child's school smoking. Your DS was with you this morning but is unaccompanied other times and it must be intimidating for primary school children to walk through or past a group of older children smoking.

Sparklingbrook Mon 08-Oct-12 09:46:50

It's not the smoking. It's the fact they were stood in their school uniforms at 8am doing it Go. Unfortunately teenagers do smoke for some unknown reason.

Sparklingbrook Mon 08-Oct-12 09:47:40

That's what I thought too Tiggy. DS2 was a bit confused

GoSakuramachi Mon 08-Oct-12 09:49:09

what do their clothes or the time matter?

Sparklingbrook Mon 08-Oct-12 09:50:49

It was the way they looked. School uniforms make you look young, and then they had a cigarette in their hand. It looked bizarre, and 8am? Really?

halcyondays Mon 08-Oct-12 09:52:52

Is it any better if they do it at four o'clock in jeans and a top?confused
It's bad for their health whatever time of day it is.
I guess they do it outside the primary school instead of their own school because they don't want their teachers to see them.

Sparklingbrook Mon 08-Oct-12 09:54:45

Not better halcyon but more understandable. Perhaps they should drink cider outside school at 8am too.

I wasn't thinking of their health, just off their poor parents who are probably blissfully unaware. And how are they funding it?

OutragedAtThePriceOfFreddos Mon 08-Oct-12 09:54:56

YANBU. When I was 13/14 and needed my fag before school, we used to go and hide behind the garages. Silly girls really should have found somewhere less conspicuous to smoke.

In all seriousness, it is horrible seeing children in smoking, and it somehow does look worse in school uniform. There's not much you can do about it though unless you want to phone the school they come from and tell them what you saw. This happened to girls I went to school with, bit all it did was make us hide it.

Sparklingbrook Mon 08-Oct-12 09:57:42

They must go into school reeking like an ashtray. confused

I am not one for complaining, but I may mention it to the primary school next time I am in. They could at least come out and move them on.

WorraLiberty Mon 08-Oct-12 10:01:28

Why don't you ask them to move on?

Are they blocking the gate?

Sparklingbrook Mon 08-Oct-12 10:03:31

This is the first time I have taken DS2 in the car since the start of term so no idea if they are there every day. I literally stopped and ejected him when I saw them.

They aren't in the way other than stood on the pavement. They need to be careful their friends' Mums don't see them.

Whitecherry Mon 08-Oct-12 10:07:18

What are they now? £7 a packet?

HorraceTheOtter Mon 08-Oct-12 10:07:49

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

Sparklingbrook Mon 08-Oct-12 10:08:12

Are they? £7? Blimey.

HorraceTheOtter Mon 08-Oct-12 10:09:04

Sparklingbrook Mon 08-Oct-12 10:09:28

Oh Horrace I am sure they are all in top sets grin sad

BigFatLegsInWoolyTIghts Mon 08-Oct-12 10:10:54

Tell school. The little ones don't need to see that!

BigFatLegsInWoolyTIghts Mon 08-Oct-12 10:11:36

I smoke now and then and I would NEVER smoke in front of kids. Not ever. It's just not on....and if they see KIDS doing it they'll think "Oooh they look cool!"

HorraceTheOtter Mon 08-Oct-12 10:25:01

Sparklingbrook Mon 08-Oct-12 10:34:28

Smoking was rife at my school. There was a special lot of toilets where everyone went but I didn't get sucked in (pardon the pun). And my Dad would have chopped my hands off anyway....

That was a long time ago, and I really thought things had changed and that maybe it wouldn't be seen as cool now.

DizzyHoneyBee Mon 08-Oct-12 10:37:55

They will smoke, but they shouldn't be doing it outside the primary school gates.
Talk to the primary school head about getting them moved.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now