(45 Posts)
kim147 Mon 08-Oct-12 08:32:20

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

catgirl1976 Mon 08-Oct-12 08:34:36

A week? shock sad

PeggyCarter Mon 08-Oct-12 08:45:21

shesariver Mon 08-Oct-12 08:48:38

I to get frustrated by the hysterical nonsense some people use to justify to keep their children wrapped up in cotton wool and stifling them, I know of 1 women this week who doesnt let her 4 year old out of her sight, holds her hand in public at all times and tells her its because " a nasty man might come along and steal you"! Really, what message is this little girl going to grow up about men and the world eh!

PeggyCarter Mon 08-Oct-12 08:54:25

hellhasnofurylikeahungrywoman Mon 08-Oct-12 08:56:03

Haven't the numbers for child abduction and murder barely changed in almost 50 years, it's just that are perception of them has changed due to media coverage. The whole 'stranger danger' message is so dangerous, we need to be aware of the dangers but not instil our children with the message that 'bad' people somehow look different to the rest of society.

kim147 Mon 08-Oct-12 08:57:44

MmeLindor Mon 08-Oct-12 08:59:04

2 children a week? I didn't know the stats were that shocking.

I agree, and have been arguing for years that stranger danger is the wrong thing to teach children.

When we were in Germany the police came into Kindergarten to give a talk on child abuse, and they were very clear that they don't teach stranger danger any
more.

puds11 Mon 08-Oct-12 09:04:16

Very good article, aside from this line '^Hope for April has all but gone^' i think that could have been left out.

Other than that a scarily accurate insight into the unspoken fears of the nation.

Qwertyytrewq Mon 08-Oct-12 09:05:02

It says one a week (still one too many) on the NSPCC website.

www.nspcc.org.uk/inform/research/statistics/child_homicide_statistics_wda48747.html

'On average, every week in England and Wales at least one child is killed at the hands of another person.'

'"Killings of children by a natural parent are committed in roughly equal proportions by mothers (47%) and fathers (53%), but where the child is killed by someone other than a [birth] parent, males strongly predominate".'

SeveredEdMcDunnough Mon 08-Oct-12 09:20:47

If the person who's been arrested is responsible for what happened, then she knew him anyway.

SeveredEdMcDunnough Mon 08-Oct-12 09:21:03

So I mean, he wasn't a stranger.

MmeLindor Mon 08-Oct-12 09:22:08

Perhaps the two a week is including Scotland and NI then?

Puds
The police have charged him for murder. They wouldn't do this unless they had evidence. Sad as it is, I think that it is accepted that the poor lass is dead.

Pippa6774 Mon 08-Oct-12 09:51:22

I am astonished that as many as 6 kids a year are abducted and murdered by strangers.They must not make it to the news.I can't think of 1 this year.

Quadrangle Mon 08-Oct-12 09:56:23

Good point actually Pippa6774. I can't think of any either

PickledFanjoCat Mon 08-Oct-12 10:02:05

I was just thinking that too pippa, I suppose it's an average since the 70s.

I know overall it's statistically small but also seems huge sad

Softlysoftly Mon 08-Oct-12 10:04:57

Happy Monday morning sad

MmeLindor Mon 08-Oct-12 10:05:53

I guess that there are some that for one reason or another don't make the headlines.

Compare the hourly updates on Megan Stammers to the complete silence and disinterest in the Rochdale cases. Why is one case publicised and the other not? Depends on the parents making a fuss, and going to papers, I suspect.

Megan's stepdad was posting on Twitter before it made the papers.

shesariver Mon 08-Oct-12 10:06:34

pippa it does say this figure of 6 children is an average since the 1970s - so has been averaged out over 30 odd years - possibly not giving a true figure of today.

SkeletonButterfly Mon 08-Oct-12 10:10:06

When I have worked with primary age children we modify the 'stranger danger' approach to mean anyone who makes them feel scared/uncomfortable and that they aren't to keep secrets no matter what people say to them - and that if anyone gives them 'that' feeling they need to tell someone they trust, like a teacher or parents.
Statistics show that 'strangers' are much less dangerous than people known to the child or their family - like this whole sorry scenario in Wales. sad

PedanticPanda Mon 08-Oct-12 10:19:24

Two children a week? So two poor little kids this werk will be murdered by someone who is supposed to protect them? Why don't we find out about these cases?

CaptainKirksNipples Mon 08-Oct-12 10:25:03

I wasn't aware of the actual statistics, but knew they were close. I was talking to a group of school mums about April, mainly abduction as it was a few days before they charged the man, and they all mentioned having the 'stranger danger' chat with their own kids.

They were horrified when I said statistically speaking they are more likely to be abducted if they get divorced or have a neighbour or a relative or people who stay over.

What they need to explain to kids is who they can trust and give them knowledge of what to do in emergencies. Mine know not to walk home if someone is late to collect them and to go back to the school office. They know if they are lost in a shop to go to someone in the store with a uniform, preferable behind a desk too. They never get lost in a park because we have two rules - stick together and if one of you can't see the other you come to where I am sitting immediately.

I don't terrify them about strangers because I know how many people I have in my family and friends with history sad

mustbetimetochange Mon 08-Oct-12 10:28:47

We don't hear about anything except the tip of the iceberg - because child abuse is so bloody common - there has to be something "different" or "extra" to make it news worthy.

Quadrangle Mon 08-Oct-12 10:31:58

I suppose if something is happening twice a week than it is common enough for it to not make the national news, although i imagine it would make local news. You would think that 6 children a week being abducted and murdered by strangers would be rare enough to make the national news though

Gumby Mon 08-Oct-12 10:34:31

Quad - do you mean a year?

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now