Talk

Advanced search

To be disgusted about the idea of an Anne Summer's baby shower?

(45 Posts)
TM08 Sun 07-Oct-12 23:27:50

I've just received an email inviting me to an old friend's baby shower. She wants it to be Anne Summers themed.

I am sickened by this tbh. I've never been to a baby shower before, but i just assumed it would be baby-related and presents should be blankets, bottles, baby clothes etc - not lube and vibrators.

I'm a bit of a prude anyway, so would decline even if this was a normal party. But I can see five people have already agreed to go. AIBU to think this is totally inappropriate?

MummifiedBonkeyMollocks Sun 07-Oct-12 23:29:07

Meh!
Each to their own!

slatternlymother Sun 07-Oct-12 23:29:11

If it's what she wants, why not? It's not hurting anyone.

I wouldn't go if I were you though; you sound like you'd be clutching your twinset and pearls the whole time wink

WorraLiberty Sun 07-Oct-12 23:29:56

I think it's hilarious to be honest but then I've never been one for the whole baby shower thing anyway grin

Clearly she's not either, which is why she's thought of an alternative one.

I'd just see it for the funny side whether I went or not.

Whitecherry Sun 07-Oct-12 23:30:19

It's just a party! Maybe a baby shower alone is too boring!

DoMeDon Sun 07-Oct-12 23:30:24

She wants people to celebrate her upcoming child by giving her dildos, am I getting that right? Are you sure she's not just celebrating and having an Anne Summers party? That would make more sense to me but still makes me queasy and I'm a bit of a go-er grin

BabylonPI Sun 07-Oct-12 23:30:35

Ew very odd! Not my cuppa, but each to their own!!!

MummifiedBonkeyMollocks Sun 07-Oct-12 23:30:37

Now if she were having a Greggs and Fruit shoots party I would be horrified!

SundaeGirl Sun 07-Oct-12 23:31:02

YABU. I don't much like Ann Summers but, honestly, your talk of 'appropriate' is very priggish. Presumably no-one under 16yo has been invited? Is it just pregnancy should be sex-free? Motherhood?

AnyFucker Sun 07-Oct-12 23:31:22

ugh

I wouldn't be scandalised, tbh, I would simply think it was just a bit too "try-hard"

and swerve it

WorraLiberty Sun 07-Oct-12 23:31:41

Now if she were having a Greggs and Fruit shoots party I would be horrified!

Really?

I'd be there straight away! grin

McHappyPants2012 Sun 07-Oct-12 23:31:54

without sex there would be no baby, and ann summer party is tame

MummifiedBonkeyMollocks Sun 07-Oct-12 23:32:16

grin

I prefer a Maccy D's personally wink

Mypopcornface Sun 07-Oct-12 23:32:25

What does she want? new lingerie for when she ca have sex again?
It would be more appropriated for a hen's night...
Decline and send a mothercare's voucher....or a pack of nappies

TM08 Sun 07-Oct-12 23:36:27

I think 'prude' might have been the wrong word. smile I'm just quite shy and go red whenever talking about sex related stuff, so I couldn't imagine doing this in a room full of people i barely know.

But baby showers are for talking about the baby etc, aren't they? How could you comfortably discuss a new baby while ogling a platter of vibrators? Or if she's wanting to avoid baby talk, and make it a night about her, why merge it with a baby shower at all? Why not just have an Anne Summer's party?

The mind boggles. She has had two kids already - both baby shower-less - and has had lots of Anne Summers parties, so i just don't 'get' it. I think it's a bit icky. But then I'm basing my perception of baby showers on American shows/movies' portrayals. All tea, biscuits, lots of baby talk and baby pressies etc, so maybe the UK has a different approach. I probably am BU.

WorraLiberty Sun 07-Oct-12 23:38:26

I think she's being ironic

She clearly doesn't like baby showers (can't blame her there) so she's holding an Anne Summers instead.

Teeb Sun 07-Oct-12 23:39:24

How do you think the baby came about in the first place?

AnyFucker Sun 07-Oct-12 23:39:52

the best way to be "ironic" re baby showers is to just not bother at all, IMO grin

DoMeDon Sun 07-Oct-12 23:40:34

A baby shower indicates some focus on a baby (not the baby making process) - I don't think YABU to think it's ick - it is. Sounds like she just enjoys looking at naff underwear and playing 'shecksy' games - agree with Any it's a bit try too hard.

McHappyPants2012 Sun 07-Oct-12 23:41:06

ann

AnyFucker Sun 07-Oct-12 23:41:07

the baby came about by having sex, which may or may not have included the utilisation of naff nylon thongs and large pink plastic pretend penises

WorraLiberty Sun 07-Oct-12 23:42:15

There's no irony whatsoever in deciding to give something a miss! grin

Personally I would have gone with a takeaway party where everyone orders a chinese dish of their choice and we all pig out accordingly.

AnyFucker Sun 07-Oct-12 23:43:15

1) sex leading to conception of a baby

2) Anne Summers juvenile (I'm mad and uninhibiited, meeeee) try-hard silliness

the two do not necessarily go together

AnyFucker Sun 07-Oct-12 23:43:54

I would attend a pig-out Chinese baby shower smile

Viviennemary Sun 07-Oct-12 23:44:21

Personally I am disgusted at the idea of an Anne summer's anything.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now