Talk

Advanced search

to consider moving DS (19 months) into a cotbed?

(21 Posts)
ScienceOfSellingYouselfShort Sun 07-Oct-12 20:10:08

Too young? The right age?

He is currently in a cot, I was considering moving him to a junior bed between December and March (his 2nd birthday) but a relative of mine who is moving house has asked if we want his. He wants rid asap (within 3 weeks) or else he'll take it to the recycling centre. I don't have room for a spare cotbed anywhere I have enough 'spare' crap so do I give it a go or wait a while longer to buy one?

dondon33 Sun 07-Oct-12 20:15:57

My 3 DC were in one from around 12 months with big teddies or cushions scattered on the floor below, for a few weeks, in case they fell out.
They are very low to the floor anyway, so falls tend to result in shock rather than injury.

Dordeydoo Sun 07-Oct-12 20:17:34

Try it and see how it works. If need be buy a bed guard do he can't fall out

ScienceOfSellingYouselfShort Sun 07-Oct-12 20:20:44

Cushions on floor and a bed guard sounds like a good idea. The bed is low, him injuring himself isn't my main concern it's getting out of bed first thing in the morning and tearing his room apart before 7am!

Dordeydoo Sun 07-Oct-12 20:23:18

Also found that with the children I nanny the best idea was to take all toys out for a week then start adding them gradually

KitCat26 Sun 07-Oct-12 20:24:28

Take it!
We took the side off DD1's cot by that age, and she was in a full size single by 22mths because we needed the cot for DD2.
We did get an extra long guard rail (got ours from Amazon) which was the same length as her cot, then transfered it onto the single bed when she up sized.

ScienceOfSellingYouselfShort Sun 07-Oct-12 20:31:16

Dordeydoo that seems sensible but it's his habit of taking out every item of clothing he has and throwing them around and looking so darn proud of himself that I'm worried about!

ScienceOfSellingYouselfShort Sun 07-Oct-12 20:32:36

I think I'll go for it, a new fun challenge to face!

Dordeydoo Sun 07-Oct-12 20:38:10

Is there anyway you could child lock the drawers?

SamSmalaidh Sun 07-Oct-12 20:39:44

DS was in a normal single bed from 18 months and was fine, only fell out once I think! I put a gate on the door though and it was lovely when he could get out of bed and play by himself in the morning before calling for me.

hellsbells99 Sun 07-Oct-12 20:46:33

DD1 was in a cotbed by this age as she climbed out of her cot!

LilyCocoplatt Sun 07-Oct-12 20:48:12

My DD had to get the sides taken off her cotbed recently as she was climbing out of the cot and I was worried she would hurt herself, I was worried too about her wreaking destruction on her room but luckily it hasn't happened yet, well apart from when i tried to put her down for a daytime nap she didn't want, but generally she plays with her toys or looks at her books if she is up before me in the morning.

Softlysoftly Sun 07-Oct-12 20:50:44

Doesn't a corned have sides? Hence not just being a toddler/single bed by definition? confused

Softlysoftly Sun 07-Oct-12 20:50:59

Cotbed!

mamij Sun 07-Oct-12 20:54:17

DD1 was in a single at this age as we wanted "her" cot for when DD2 arrived (plus, she was also partial to climbing out of the cot!).

financialwizard Sun 07-Oct-12 20:55:22

My DD2 was in a toddler bed by 16 mths because she was too long for the cot. We had a few months of her coming into our room in the night but now she is settled.

PurpleCrazyHorse Sun 07-Oct-12 20:58:23

DD was in a full size single bed (with drawers so a bit higher up) by 2yo (needed to renovate her room so ditched the cot at the same time). We have a bed guard and just leave toys in her room and I'm happy for her to make a mess. No pens/crayons, just jigsaws and books! We also have a gro clock which she knows means she needs to stay in her room until the sun comes up. I'm going to put a catch on the top of the bathroom door though as she can reach the taps!

Thing3ReallyWantsChocolate Sun 07-Oct-12 21:09:58

We moved DD2 in with DD1 at about this age and as the cotbed needed to be partly taken apart I left the sides off. Nearly every time I checked on her for the first few months she was curled up asleep on the floor, some times over the other side of the room!

DD3 has just had her sides taken off at 2.1 as she was able to climb onto the sides and I didn't want her to fall. I have found her on the floor a few times as well, I nearly stood on her last week when I was getting clothes from their room!

didireallysaythat Sun 07-Oct-12 21:18:02

If you roll up a towel into a sausage you can put it under the mattress's sheet to make a little raised barrier and stop little one rolling out.

maddening Sun 07-Oct-12 21:54:35

If it is a cotbed that you're getting you can have it as a cot if you want before turning it back to a toddler bed

kirrinIsland Sun 07-Oct-12 22:07:35

DD has just gone into a bed at 19 months because she was climbing out of her cot. I removed all tempting toys, put child locks on the wardrobe doors and a gate on the door a it's been fine. I frequently find her sleeping on the floor but she doesn't seem to notice she not in bed anymore!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now