Talk

Advanced search

Quick reality check before I do any more complaining

(12 Posts)
SpudtheScarecrow Sun 07-Oct-12 20:00:03

Really don't know now if IABU so:

Ordered a coffee maker from Amazon for DH's birthday. It warned me that it would be dispatched in its box so to be sure to check the relevent box if it was a gift. I did this.

DH answered the door on Friday and was handed said item with no packaging. I emailed to complain and they said it must have been my mistake in not checking the box.

I double checked order history and packing slip, both of which specified that it was a gift order. I responded and told them this, adding also that due to lack of packaging box was a bit dented.

They now have replied to say they are giving me a credit of £3 and sending a replacement. The problem is, I don't really want a replacement - there is nothing wrong with it except a slightly ripped box and a spoiled surprise. I now have to try and wait in for a delivery and pack up the original and take it back to the post. For compensation of £3

But AIBU as I don't actually know what I wanted them to do to resolve it. I just got really cross when they tried to blame me.
Thank you so much if you've made it this far on such a dull post. I just wanted to garner a bit of mumsnet jury opinion before I continue to make a fool of myself pursue the matter.

BeauNeidel Sun 07-Oct-12 20:04:30

Can you call them? They have a brilliant call back service and I have been nothing but pleased with them. Call and speak with someone and say that there is no reason for you to return it so you won't.

Make sure you get their acceptance that you WON'T return it in an email though, as I had a problem (which was sorted same day, although still annoying) when they charged me for an item they said I hadn't returned.

EnjoyGOLDResponsibly Sun 07-Oct-12 20:07:26

In this situation I would want to, I mean really really want to, let it go.

However, I just can't do that, so I would in fact send a righteously indignant e mail stating:

1. You checked the gift box, failure to carry out your instruction = their fault. Don't offer service if not going to action.

2. Having ballsed that up they implied it was your fault when a quick check their side would have established that wasn't the case.

3. At this point a simple apology would have sufficed, but a pointless replacement demanding more of your time and a derisory and unasked for compensation of £3 is just ridiculous.

4. What you want is for them to simply acknowledge you we're right, they were wrong, they should apologise and bloody mean it.

There, that's better xx

Fakebook Sun 07-Oct-12 20:10:31

Do you get to keep BOTH coffee machines?! I'd keep the second one too and give it as a Xmas present.

SpudtheScarecrow Sun 07-Oct-12 20:12:26

Gold, that is it exactly. I now have spent far too much time and energy on it but really don't want to faff about sending it back, and risking not having one for DH to feign surprise at!

Beau I am rubbish on the phone - either strident or pathetic (am hopefully neither in RL) will do that as a last resort tho smile thank you

SpudtheScarecrow Sun 07-Oct-12 20:13:58

That's what I thought at first Fakebook and was dead chuffed DILs were going halves with me so was going to let them have the other. Was really impressed but no, I have to send the first one back.

PropositionJoe Sun 07-Oct-12 20:14:13

I'd just phone and tell them you'll keep the one you've got. It's just more hassle otherwise. And it was a surprise, just not on the right day!

SpudtheScarecrow Sun 07-Oct-12 20:25:21

Thanks for super fast feedback. I have emailed to say I want to keep original and words to the effect of Gold's post.

PropositionJoe Sun 07-Oct-12 21:34:11

Good for you. Now you can cross it off your mental list and enjoy your night.

they're still crap mind

starfishmummy Sun 07-Oct-12 22:03:58

If the second one turns up just refuse to accept it and the courier will send it back to Amazon

EnjoyGOLDResponsibly Sun 07-Oct-12 22:24:51

HTH grin

SpudtheScarecrow Tue 09-Oct-12 22:49:41

Second one turned up today - very well disguised in a large box funnily enough! I asked the nice delivery man to take it back for me so hopefully all resolved. Might send long email them moaning about it all.

Thanks for all your help

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now