Talk

Advanced search

a bit of a follow on from the boyfriend/birthday thread.

(12 Posts)
SlightlyConfusedAlwaysMad Sun 07-Oct-12 18:57:32

I've been seeing someone for coming up to 3 months but due to work/kids we've only been on one official date but have spent time together around other people (complicated) anyway it's he's birthday next week and he's told me not to buy him anything. I have naturally ignored him and got him a small token gift (under £10). After reading the other thread I'm now starting to worry I should do more.

AIBU to spend less than a tenner on a new boyfriend

gimmecakeandcandy Sun 07-Oct-12 19:12:42

What is the gift?

Yanbu but we need to know what it is!0

SlightlyConfusedAlwaysMad Sun 07-Oct-12 19:16:52

It's a book he collects.

FredFredGeorge Sun 07-Oct-12 19:20:44

He's told you to not to buy him anything - and you have, so that's not great, but at least it's just a token gift so that's probably okay, at least you can explain it that you really would feel uncomfortable getting him nothing.

So I'd say you've done the best option.

Alliwantisaroomsomewhere Sun 07-Oct-12 20:17:18

Are you both planning on doing anything for his birthday?

SlightlyConfusedAlwaysMad Sun 07-Oct-12 20:21:06

No he's busy all week with friends family but we are going out the week after but not for he's birthday iyswim

Alliwantisaroomsomewhere Sun 07-Oct-12 20:39:50

In that case, the gift may not be necessary after all?

MrsTerryPratchett Sun 07-Oct-12 20:43:55

Nice, thoughtful, I think it will be OK.

SlightlyConfusedAlwaysMad Sun 07-Oct-12 20:52:22

I did warn him when he said not to get anything that I wanted too but it would only be something small. Didn't think anything of it till I read the other thread and thought oh shit should I have got something better.

It's a long time since I was in a relationship

Alliwantisaroomsomewhere Sun 07-Oct-12 20:56:08

Well, something small is good. You won't be doing anything wrong in giving it to him. Besides, you know him so you are the best judge, aren't you?

Rather show you care by getting a gift than being tight and not getting anything smile

Hippolyta20 Mon 08-Oct-12 15:32:08

I think you are doing the right thing.

A small thoughtful gift seems appropriate.

Nothing and he may be a bit miffed (even if he said not to get anything) and too much might look over keen at this stage.

It sounds like you are spot on. smile

HorraceTheOtter Mon 08-Oct-12 15:55:42

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now