Advanced search

Aibu to only want to ttc if I'm sure I can have an elcs?

(19 Posts)
Cathycomehome Sun 07-Oct-12 00:10:46

I have two kids with a large age gap, partly because I really meant it when I said I couldn't go through childbirth again after DS1. I had an elective section three months ago with DS2, which was a great experience and helped a lot with past emotions about childbirth.

Anyway, my partner is keen for us to try for dc3, I am pretty keen too, but it's brought up some of the same anxieties again.

Aibu to only be able to ttc if I can have another section, and is it really likely that after one elcs it would be easy to get another?

TidyGOLDDancer Sun 07-Oct-12 00:33:17

Well only you can make that decision really, and I suppose you do need to consider the reasons as to why you feel that way. I mainly say that because I have a friend who was completely set on having an ELCS, but had extensive counselling throughout her pregnancy and ended up being able to have a vaginal birth.

No one can or should judge you whatever you decide, and you certainly shouldn't be subjected to BS about not giving birth naturally (it's all natural IMO).

AgentZigzag Sun 07-Oct-12 00:39:33

I was given the choice to have a c-sect with DD2 just because I'd had one with DD1, and I was very happy with that.

Doesn't matter what other people think of your choice/feelings, it'll all pale into insignificance when you've got DC3 snuggled up with you.

Cathycomehome Sun 07-Oct-12 09:31:35

Thanks, that's quite reassuring Angent Zigzag. I've read things about people being pushed into trying for vbac and I just know I couldn't do that. It might not even happen, obviously, we might not be lucky enough to have another one, but it does worry me. Probably more than it should.

Madmum24 Sun 07-Oct-12 09:35:41

I was offered an elective C/S after my first emergency C/S but i opted to try for VBAC. It resulted in another C/S and my husband whinging for the next 6 months about how i wasted HIS time

SucksToBeScaryMe Sun 07-Oct-12 09:42:51

I feel the same as you OP. I had a ECS with DD due to high blood pressure and Pre-Eclampsia. I am 6wks pregnant and have my heart set on a ELCS. (I always think of the early learning centre when write that)

Yanbu, I feel the same but haven't had a cs, I had a forceps delivery with ds and I'm terrified of that happening again sad so we haven't ttc for number 2.

MelodyPondering Sun 07-Oct-12 09:44:26

You will be allowed another cs. I had one cs and had to fight to be allowed a vbac.

That resulted in another cs and the fight I had to try for a vba2c was immense.

You won't have a problem at all in my experience!

monkeysbignuts Sun 07-Oct-12 10:10:24

I think once you have had one elcs they ask you again if you want another. Its harder to get them to agree to a vbac.
I had a horrendous birth with my first and could have elected to have a c sec but decided to try for a v birth second time round. I managed it and it was a lot easier/less traumatic. My first birth still haunts me now 5 1/2 years on! I am due my third any time now and I am shitting myself again despite the second being easier.

Latara Sun 07-Oct-12 10:14:06


mrsrosieb Sun 07-Oct-12 10:17:43

I used to work as a doctor. When someone has had one LSCS it is far more likely the next child will be delivered that way as otherwise the LSCS scar could open up in labour.

Cathycomehome Sun 07-Oct-12 10:29:13

Thanks for replies, very reassuring! Sorry some other people are anxious too, especially bulletwithbutterflywings.

cjbk1 Sun 07-Oct-12 10:32:50

bullet I was 'allowed' an ELCS on 10th sept after a ventouse delivery it was a good experience

Lilicat1013 Sun 07-Oct-12 11:19:25

I am pregnant at the moment and have had a previous c-section (due to being epileptic, having an ovarian cyst and baby being breech). Obviously I am still epileptic so that is a risk factor but they were very happy for me to choose, there was no pressure either way.

I was asked at my first midwife appointment whether I would like to go for vbac or another c-section with no pressure. I opted for vbac but I got the impression they would have been fine if I said c-section.

Hopefully you will get the same experience.

emsyj Sun 07-Oct-12 12:29:13

YANBU to make your own decisions about your own body - and I think it is standard to be offered an ELCS after you've had a CS previously. I had EMCS with DD and my midwife asked me what I wanted this time - she has never ever ever once tried to influence me either way. Have you been in touch with your hospital to ask for a de-brief to speak to a consultant about having an ELCS next time? A friend of mine who is also expecting DC2 had an EMCS last time after a traumatic induction and wanted to ensure that she could elect for a CS if she went overdue (or was recommended induction for any other reason). She's been able to have face to face discussions with the medical staff at the hospital to straighten all this out in advance. Maybe you can do the same? Give them a call, they might be very receptive and helpful (as my local hospital have been for my friend).

That's good to hear cjbk1 smile
Thanks Cathy [flowers]

parakeet Sun 07-Oct-12 19:56:56

Thanks to the latest set of guidelines from NICE, everyone is supposed to be able to get an elective C-section on request, as long as they are fully informed about the pros and cons.

Anyone who has already had a previous C-section should have no problem whatsoever getting another one. The only possible hitch would be if you are unlucky enough to end up with a rabidly pro-VBAC midwife, who tries to push it on you. Just smile sweetly and say No thank you, I don't want to risk a uterine rupture, thanks all the same. Should do the job.

FryOneGhoulishGhostlyManic Sun 07-Oct-12 20:05:23

I had ELCS with DC1, due to rapidly rising blood pressure, a breech baby and pre-eclampsia.

I was not offered the option of ELCS for DC2, I was only given VBAC as an option. And while it went very well and I'm not unhappy with the outcome of it all, I AM unhappy that at no time was I given information on the pros and cons of each method or the chance for ME to make an informed choice.

It wasn't until I was actually in the delivery room that the possibility of uterine rupture was ever mentioned to me for the first time.

I did complain afterwards that the information provided by midwives needed to be more complete.

SucksToBeScaryMe Sun 07-Oct-12 20:07:24

<makes a note of parakeets last sentence>

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: