Talk

Advanced search

To risk dds secondary education on a brand new free school?

(35 Posts)
Whistlingwaves Sat 06-Oct-12 21:42:23

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

WorraLiberty Sat 06-Oct-12 21:44:27

Well since school number 1 sounds totally shit, I'd certainly give the new school a go if I were you.

SuffolkNWhat Sat 06-Oct-12 21:47:51

YouMayLogOut Sat 06-Oct-12 21:51:29

YANBU

Whistlingwaves Sat 06-Oct-12 21:54:20

Whistlingwaves Sat 06-Oct-12 21:58:46

Rosebud05 Sat 06-Oct-12 22:12:10

There's your answer, then.

Whistlingwaves Sat 06-Oct-12 22:30:34

Bumpstart Sat 06-Oct-12 22:36:04

Is there a 3rd school you could look at? If you have eliminated one, it is useful to see if you still have a choice.

Ps that Maths teacher should be struck off.

pouffepants Sat 06-Oct-12 22:38:03

I have EXACTLY the same problem. Except ours hasn't even opened or has premises yet. How the hell do I know whether to chose something, based on a scant website? My dd has sn too.

sashh Sun 07-Oct-12 07:30:58

Forget the results and reputation, how would YOUR chiild cope at school 1?

SuffolkNWhat Sun 07-Oct-12 09:01:34

bochead Sun 07-Oct-12 09:04:25

Does your DD have a statement. A well worded statement and the free school would be my option, though I'm such a cow that I'd be writing to my MP to complain that school 1 seemed to be scewing their admissions process such that the new school was in danger of becoming the local SEN dumping ground.

Fecklessdizzy Sun 07-Oct-12 09:11:23

Is there a third option in case the Free School folds? ( I was reading about one that went under through lack of funds a fortnight before the start of term )

It does sound like a much better place for your DD but I think you need a Plan B as low student numbers might be a problem for them ( I seem to remember it was that which did for the school in the paper )

Funnylittleturkishdelight Sun 07-Oct-12 09:14:09

1) math teacher was a NOB
2) are there any other options?

Based on the senco (who will dictate the attitude towards sen in the school, and will be the most important person in her life at school) the free school is the obvious choice; the only worry is- she might leave.

YouSmegHead Sun 07-Oct-12 09:14:59

All the stuff you've heard about school one means nothing if they are hopeless when youve spoken to them. They should be showing you how good they are, do basically what you've seen is them on their best behavior shock

I would go with school two in a heartbeat.

Whistlingwaves Sun 07-Oct-12 10:06:44

Whistlingwaves Sun 07-Oct-12 10:08:08

Whistlingwaves Sun 07-Oct-12 12:22:19

RedHelenB Sun 07-Oct-12 12:31:57

-There surely will be more than one maths teacher in school 1? Some people DO find maths easy & he could well be a good teacher , you really can't judge on one conversation. BUT you do get a gut feeling for a place - which did dd prefer?

RedHelenB Sun 07-Oct-12 12:32:48

Be very careful too of school 2 & all its promises - they may well not come to fruition.,

marriedinwhite Sun 07-Oct-12 12:55:03

where are you OP? Are you in London?

Whistlingwaves Sun 07-Oct-12 12:58:32

Whistlingwaves Sun 07-Oct-12 12:59:28

5madthings Sun 07-Oct-12 13:15:55

As much as i dont like free schools it sounds like that would be the best for your dd.

Or school three could you apply for a place on the basis of her special needs and that being the best school for her?

I sympathise we are just moving our ds1 to a different high school as the one he is currently at has issues. Fwiw my ds1 is top sets in everything but the school we have now chosen actually has an award winning sn needs and dyslexic unit, but it also provides well across the board and will.push ds1 which is not happening in his current school. I think a school that has a good attitude towards special needs says a lot about a school. The new school encourages all children to work to their potential. It also has a good value added score. Actually look at the value added scores if you can. You should be able to see a break down that will show yoi how children with special needs fare in school one, obviously you wont be able to do this for school two.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now