Talk

Advanced search

to think throwing an apple core into a hedge does not deserve £150 fine?

(44 Posts)
kim147 Sat 06-Oct-12 19:42:15

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

LFCisTarkaDahl Sat 06-Oct-12 19:43:50

I think that's completely wrong and that's exactly where apple cores should go.

SammyTheSwedishSquirrel Sat 06-Oct-12 19:44:21

<tots up the number of £150 fines applicable here due to ancient apple tree overhanging street and hedge and runs away screaming>

deleted203 Sat 06-Oct-12 19:45:50

Christ! That's just money grubbing. I throw apple cores into ditches on country walks, because of course they rot down. You're not littering.

picnicbasketcase Sat 06-Oct-12 19:46:03

Bloody stupid. Maybe a fine of £10 or something for littering just to get the point across that people shouldn't really chuck stuff in hedges (although I quite agree its not even harmful anyway) but £150 is way over the top.

aldiwhore Sat 06-Oct-12 19:47:25

Nuts. The council were BVU. Grr. Leaving the thread now before I get all ranty. smile

MrsTerryPratchett Sat 06-Oct-12 19:48:01

Much better to have them in a hedgerow than in a landfill. It is their job to rot and that.

EasyToEatTiger Sat 06-Oct-12 19:48:05

Oh dear. I do that. I don't throw coke cans or crisp packets away, but I do throw apple cores out. I know our birds love them, and they don't last for long. It's stupid and the council ought to be hung out to dry.

vodkaanddietirnbru Sat 06-Oct-12 19:48:13

it helps to feed the birds too! It would be different if it was a crisp bag or a wrapper that wouldn't degrade.

Woman fined for throwing Wotsit - another silly one

Hesterton Sat 06-Oct-12 19:48:31

I suppose the issue is how do you then stop others who throw rubbish out of cars from claiming it was an apple core?

And I know it's a bit daft, but throwing anything out of a moving car is a potential accident.

(Although I admit I have done the apple core thing hundreds of time, on country roads when noone is walking anywhere near).

kim147 Sat 06-Oct-12 19:49:37

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

BartletForTeamGB Sat 06-Oct-12 19:54:01

"Mr Falls was initially given a £50 fine which he said he forgot to pay."

WinklyFriedChicken Sat 06-Oct-12 19:54:36

He didn't get a £150 fine. He got a £50 fine and didn't pay it. People chuck their shit out of card round my way all the time, it makes me purple with rage, I am glad some councils are doing something about it.

Pancakeflipper Sat 06-Oct-12 19:57:20

Oh Crikes, I also put apple cores on the hedgerow if we have been munching and crunching outside. They decompose and good compost material.

I hasten to add I don't throw sweet wrappers, bottles etc.. Just apple cores and pea pods.

elizaregina Sat 06-Oct-12 19:57:20

I remeber Richard Madly once on that program he used to do - saying how he was furious when a man threw a banana skin from his car window onto a grass verge and how he wanted too - or even did - retreive it and threw it back through the mans sun roof!

UTTERLY ignorant and ridiculous.

I get angry about plastics and fag packets and dog shit - not natural bio degradable stuff on greenery!

Kalisi Sat 06-Oct-12 20:06:05

I fucking hate littering it is absolutely one of my pet peeves! I'm one of those really annoying people that reads a story in the newspaper about some poor old geezer dropping his cigarette butt on the floor whilst fishing his medication out of his bag and screams " too right they should fucking fine him!!!"

Funnily enough though, even I would say the council are being ridiculous here. I've never really considered an apple litter and as others have said, it will get eaten or biodegrade anyhow. Maybe I'm being a bit hypocritical on this one but logically I can't seem to change my mind confused

alemci Sat 06-Oct-12 20:12:34

i hate it too. when i was walking home, 2 teenagers threw a lidded cup on the floor. i wanted to say something but i worried they might get abusive and see where i live etc.

ShutTheFrontDoor Sat 06-Oct-12 20:20:13

How were the council supposed to know it was an apple core though?

MortaIWombat Sat 06-Oct-12 20:31:22

The same way they knew he had littered? Because some officious idiot council person saw him, I presume. The article says the guy was behind him in a queue. An apple core is easy enough to recognise, I should think.

Kalisi Sat 06-Oct-12 20:34:49

Yeah that's probably more to the point actually Shutthefrontdoor. It's quite easy to jump on the 'pc gone mad'/"The Suns Common sense campaign bandwagon but in reality the guy in question probably just saw someone throw something in the hedge and acted accordingly.

Kalisi Sat 06-Oct-12 20:37:48

But it should have been dropped once they realised what it was, mind you if he hadn't 'forgotten' to address the fine then it wouldnt have got so far...oh I'm so confused!

YouMayLogOut Sat 06-Oct-12 20:40:25

YANBU. There's enough real litter out there without them bothering about apple cores!

ShutTheFrontDoor Sat 06-Oct-12 20:42:12

Sorry didn't read the article I thought he was behind him in a car. Bit different then if he knew it was an apple core. Jobs worth .

Blu Sat 06-Oct-12 20:43:24

He was feeding the birds, surely?
wink

I should have been a lawyer.

RuleBritannia Sat 06-Oct-12 20:46:34

Sowornout

I've nothing against apple cores being thrown into a hedge but don't throw your apple core into a ditch. The seeds might germinate and a tree will grow. Nothing wrong with that, you might think, but, when it's grown, the ditch can no longer carry water and could be the cause of a flood somewhere.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now