Talk

Advanced search

To use this broth again?

(24 Posts)
slatternlymother Sat 06-Oct-12 19:12:05

I'm not sure if this is a culinary crime.

I made lamb shanks in the slow cooker tonight. Leftover is a really rich broth, with heaps of lovely veggies. Would it be bad if I kept the broth in the fridge overnight and reuse it tomorrow to cook some casserole beef in?

Or am I risking E. coli etc?

Indith Sat 06-Oct-12 19:12:59

It would be a crime to not use it.

GoSakuramachi Sat 06-Oct-12 19:13:39

Thats how to make a proper soup, so no. Where would it suddenly acquire e.coli from? confused

slatternlymother Sat 06-Oct-12 19:13:44

Thank you indith grin
Sorry about there being 2 threads, I have no idea how that happened blush

slatternlymother Sat 06-Oct-12 19:14:50

go I was just concerned I was being really silly re using something which everyone (apart from me), knows should never be reused.

WorraLiberty Sat 06-Oct-12 19:20:42

I'm gobsmacked that some adults know so very little about cooking shock

Of course it's ok!

McHappyPants2012 Sat 06-Oct-12 19:25:02

It is fine to use, that rich sauce would be criminal to waste.

Once it's cold any fat will harden so I would use that fat to brown the meat off smile

slatternlymother Sat 06-Oct-12 19:26:19

I am trying, I just asked for help; not judgement about how little I know.

No one bothered to teach me this stuff, so I'm learning to cook from scratch on my own.

slatternlymother Sat 06-Oct-12 19:26:49

Oh good idea mchappypants

starfishmummy Sat 06-Oct-12 19:27:43

Yum!!

My late mum used to make big pan of soup on a Sunday and keep it going all week by adding in things like your broth. She never refrigerated it, but made sure she gave it a good boil every day. None of us ever got food poisoning!

aldiwhore Sat 06-Oct-12 19:29:12

You so NEEED to get some confidence in old school cooking... lamb shank broth on one night, you can use the stock to make enough dishes to see you through the week! grin

Careful with the reheating inifinite times, but really, if you plan, and divide the broth, you could easily be in food heaven for at least 7 days.

And you'll save a fortune on oxo cubes.

slatternlymother Sat 06-Oct-12 19:31:13

aldi yes, I've never done this before; I'm 24 and have a young child, and left home at 16 so no one ever taught me this stuff so I'm sort of muddling through, really. If no one tells you, you're never going to know are you? smile

aldiwhore Sat 06-Oct-12 19:31:23

slatternlymother There's loads of great books out there, but even though I'm now far too advanced for her (actually she wrote my bible and I refer to it a lot) Delia's complete cookery course gives you the BIG PICTURE and rules for seeing the pattern of cooking... she rocks. (Even if she's not trendy)

It's the only way I have become a fairly good(ish) cook.

McHappyPants2012 Sat 06-Oct-12 19:32:10

Well done for having a go, food is such a good thing to experiment with smile

aldiwhore Sat 06-Oct-12 19:33:37

Slattern nowt wrong with you and I completely agree. My mum is an amazing cook but would never teach me... family 'tradition' (very annoying and unhelpful)

I can only make egg custard 'like my Granny used to' because she died and Mum accidently gave me her old baking tin (which cleverly my Granny had inserted the recipe for IN the 50yr old piece of greaseproof paper) boak

WorraLiberty Sat 06-Oct-12 19:34:18

Yeah sorry, I was just a bit shocked that's all blush

slatternlymother Sat 06-Oct-12 19:38:11

aldi I have her how to cheat book, and used it all the time until recently. I work ft and am trying so hard not to slip into bad habits and just bung a pizza in the oven every night. I will certainly look at that one though, I've seen it before and it looks really good.

If I can learn better myself, hopefully my DS won't be such a helpless little bambi when he moves out blush

McHappyPants2012 Sat 06-Oct-12 19:49:29

Once you have sealed the meat, drain off any excess fat then using either wine or water pour it over the burnt on bits and bring to the boil. ( it's calle deglazing the pan)

Not only will this give the dish extra flavour but it makes washing the pan easy smile

McHappyPants2012 Sat 06-Oct-12 19:50:37

Forgot to say make sure you strain the liquid first

kittyandthegoldenfontanelles Sat 06-Oct-12 19:50:48

Slatternly, good for you for trying to learn. The broth sounds amazing and will be even better tomorrow after standing all night! Just make sure its piping hot before you eat it.

Oh, and what time are you serving?! I don't want to be late! wink

GhostofMammaTJ Sat 06-Oct-12 19:52:25

Trawl the charity shops for good recipe books. That is where I have bought most of my favourites.

Good for you for trying to learn.

I am already teaching my DC age 6 and 7.

slatternlymother Sat 06-Oct-12 19:58:56

Thanks for all the tips mchappypants grin

FizzyLaces Sat 06-Oct-12 20:10:02

Aldi, Delia taught me to cook too and I am actually rather good at it now, at 35 grin. I was a young mum with no cooking knowledge but lots of enthusiasm, slatternly. Love cooking now. And homemade food is so much cheaper and nutritious than convenience rubbish.

TodaysAGoodDay Sat 06-Oct-12 20:20:03

If you don't want to use it tomorrow, then you can always freeze it, and use it some other time. I do this with mine, and use it for gravy, soup or casseroles. Don't chuck it please.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now