You need to think about it at a local level. Choose someone who you think will represent you best. Of course they all buy into a particular ideology generally but often when you you get down to local issues you want someone who won't always toe the party line. Do some research and 5efinitely vote
It's difficult and I feel as if I am in the same position. However, I agree with Seeker that this is how extremists get in. I think that the Lib Dems are really going to suffer next time and I don't think Labour have enough support to get in, so the result could well be an overall majority for the Conservatives. Out of the frying pan into the fire...
Where I live there are (thankfully and so far) no BNP candidates etc. If I lived somewhere where there was I would vote for the least worst. I have never not voted, but as things are I would struggle to pick between the atm.
I expect I will still vote Lib Dem, but it's with an air of resignation and purely because I feel obliged to vote for someone.
If you are part of a society that votes, then do so. There may be no candidates and measures you want to vote for But there are certain to be ones you want to vote against. In case of doubt, vote against. By this rule you will rarely go wrong. If this is too blind for your taste, consult some well-meaning fool (there is always one around) and ask his advice. Then vote the other way. This enables you to be a good citizen (if such is your wish) without spending the enormous amount of time that truly intelligent exercise of the franchise requires. Robert Heinlein, speaking through Lazarus Long in Time Enough For Love
I've spoilt a vote before, I think its important to get out to vote and I don't agree with voting for the best out of a bad bunch - imo that's how parties are allowed to flourish when they're shite. I think a spoilt vote is just as valid a choice as a vote vote.
But we're not really at risk of extremist candidates getting in on a wide scale. The turnout for the last election was 65%. If the other 35% spoiled their papers, we'd have the same result yes but at least there's be a recognition that people don't like any of the other parties.
Yes, it is - its my choice not to simply stick an x beside the party that my parents vote for, that I agree with 90%, 50% of their policies. I've heard people wonder how certain parties came to be the ones with the mandate in NI (where I live) - just voting for the sake of it is how.