Talk

Advanced search

Cealiac disease - They took seven tubes of blood, 2 weeks ago and then say...

(13 Posts)
tjah04 Fri 05-Oct-12 19:30:56

the tests are inconclusive as not enough blood and I need to repeat. It means that I have to continue eating gluten and suffer the excrutiating pain so that I can do the blood tests again.

JacqueslePeacock Fri 05-Oct-12 20:08:41

Oh no! That is really shite.

monkeysbignuts Fri 05-Oct-12 21:28:11

i thought it was a simple test for ceoliacs, no intrinsic factor=ceoliacs
do you also have a b12 deficiency?

PurpleRayne Fri 05-Oct-12 21:59:47

Not enough blood? That's ridiculous. Can you get the GP to get it fast-tracked in the circumstances?

auntpetunia Fri 05-Oct-12 22:06:34

I understand your pain I had this same scenario 2 years ago, test still inconclusive so had to have a tube down my throat to check for damage to the gut and stomach lining...And for the tube test you have to eat for a month to show any signs. It was hell, the test itself wasn't nice but at least it showed what I had known for a number of years I am coeliac and can't tolerate wheat of any sort. other gluten's don't bother me.

Hope you get the tests done again soon.

thebitchdoctor Fri 05-Oct-12 22:30:21

Monkeys ignite, intrinsic factor is to do with pernicious anaemia, not coeliac disease. Recommended test for coeliac is IgA tissue transglutaminase blood test but as with a Jejunal biopsy you have to include gluten in your diet for 6 weeks for it to show anything unfortunately.

OP did you exclude gluten as soon as you had the test? sad

thebitchdoctor Fri 05-Oct-12 22:30:45

*big nuts, not ignite. Stupid iPad!

monkeysbignuts Fri 05-Oct-12 22:34:20

b12 is often an indicator of ceoliacs though.
good luck op x

BlackholesAndRevelations Fri 05-Oct-12 22:39:07

I was told the blood test was 99% accurate and the camera procedure (too tired to remember what it's called) just the "gold seal" on the diagnosis. How can it be inconclusive if you definitely have it? Unless you've not been eating enough gluten? I also don't know how a coeliac can tolerate other glutens except wheat (other poster whose name I can't check as on phone). Are you sued you're not doing yourself silent damage?

BlackholesAndRevelations Fri 05-Oct-12 22:40:15

Oh and, what's intrinsic factor please?!

Brightspark1 Fri 05-Oct-12 22:48:26

Intrinsic factor is produced by the gut, it's function is to turn vitamin B12 into the active form, i.e. aform that the body can use. Without it you can still become B12 deficient no matter how much B12 rich foods you eat.
OP I'm sorry your diagnosis is taking so long, but it is important that you get the right diagnosis, and any other reason for your symptoms is excluded. Coeliac UK is a brilliant source of information and advice. Good luck

thebitchdoctor Fri 05-Oct-12 22:50:41

Vitamin b12 deficiency is typically associated with untreated coeliac disease likely due to a malabsorption process. Is not necessarily an indicator of coeliac disease but would be on the list of differentials. Folate deficiency is more common with coeliacs (probably because it presents quicker). Either way testing for Intrinsic factor has no merit in coeliac disease investigation and pernicious anaemia is not commonly associated with it.

thebitchdoctor Fri 05-Oct-12 22:54:39

Some blood bottles need a certain amount of blood in each one to be processed by the lab machines etc, so if there wasn't enough blood in the bottle as you say OP it will come back as inconclusive as the machines wouldn't be able to run the tests.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now