Advertisement

loader

Talk

Advanced search

To believe that most mini-cab drivers have no manners? (rant)

(17 Posts)
pointybird Fri 05-Oct-12 16:35:22

Why do they find it necessary to hoot their horns in my street at 5am? If I'm giving a lift to someone, I get out of my car and knock on their door. Why do they have to double park? Why can't they indicate like normal drivers? Why do they pull out in front of you and not even raise a hand in thanks?

My hatred is verging on pathological and why did no-one tell me that you can have menopausal and pmt symptoms at the same time....grrr

greenbananas Fri 05-Oct-12 16:59:20

The taxi drivers near you must be very different to the ones who work near my home. I am generally a pedestrian (as I don't drive) and have noticed that taxi drivers drive more considerately, more slowly, and are much more likely to indicate at junctions, making it much easier for me to cross the road safely. And they do get out and knock on doors around here.

I called a taxi to take me to the hospital 2 days ago because I am 35 weeks pregnant and had a nasty fall. The taxi driver was so kind and patient and fetched my heavy hospital bag from upstairs for me. He also undercharged me when we got there.

JamieandtheMagicTorch Fri 05-Oct-12 17:02:51

Min cab drivers round her (London) are not the best drivers, I have to say. I wince sometimes as a passenger. 9 times out of ten if you get cut-up, someone pulls out with no signal, drives up your bum, and too fast, it's a minicab driver or someone with a Baby On Board sign.

Not noticed bad manners in other ways - actually mostly very courteous. And the firm I use rings to say they are outside your house.

catwomanlikesmeatballs Fri 05-Oct-12 17:05:56

I wouldn't get out of my car to knock on someones door at 5am, why expect a cab driver to do that?

pointybird Fri 05-Oct-12 17:12:22

therein lies the difference catwomanlikesmeatballs, I would. I certainly wouldn't sit outside honking my horn!

JamieandtheMagicTorch Fri 05-Oct-12 17:14:17

I wouldn't either. You could argue that the person getting the lift is rude for not being there at the door so the driver doesn't have to honk, as well

pointybird Fri 05-Oct-12 17:19:27

exactly JamieandtheMagicTorch On the rare occasions that I do order a cab I'm looking out for them

Aboutlastnight Fri 05-Oct-12 17:25:23

All my cabbies buzz my mobile when approaching.

Spuddybean Fri 05-Oct-12 17:34:24

I'm with you OP. They have me foaming with rage sometimes. We moved to an area which has 2 cab firms a year ago and they are both atrocious.

I have too many anecdotes to write here (also i may bring on some kind of seizure having to think about them all). These include, but are not limited to, not knocking on the door and parking round the corner and when i call when they are late, rudely telling me they have been waiting for ages. Going to the wrong airport and going to the right airport but on the wrong day and calling both times indignantly demanding to know where i am. Calling me at 4am to say they are at the airport to pick up DP - despite his plane not being due till 10am. Refusing to help me put the buggy in the boot, then throwing it on the floor in a huff when we reach our destination. Trying to drive off with the car seat not attached because 'it will be fine'. Never holding a sign up at the airport so we are wandering around looking for them asking randoms if they are a cab. Picking up someone else then telling me they have already picked me up when i chase up where they are (3 times when needing to go to a hospital app in my lunch break). i could go on...but i might explode. <deep calming breaths>

pointybird Fri 05-Oct-12 17:44:10

aah Spuddybean we must live in the same area!

TheGOLDCunnyFunt Fri 05-Oct-12 18:01:20

What's a mini-cab? confused

We only have plain old taxis round here!

pointybird Fri 05-Oct-12 18:08:50

It used to be (in the olden days) that you had to pre-book a mini-cab, but a taxi could pick you up off the streeet

NulliusInBlurba Fri 05-Oct-12 18:35:21

Our local mincab firm texts you when the car is just drawing up to tell you exactly which make and colour of car it is - it's a really good idea, because not only do you know exactly when to go out of the house, but you also have a good idea which car to get into.

In Newport the minicabs are normal cars with a sign on the side and they collect you from your home or wherever (as pointy says, prebooked), whereas the taxis are the proper black cabs that stand around in town at the taxi rank.

pointybird Fri 05-Oct-12 19:10:58

NulliusInBlurba they don't do that round here and am actually feeling like a crap mum as I have twice told my 17 year old DD to get a taxi from the rank (not realising that they are all mini-cab drivers) Have emailed my district council to see what checks they have in place

JamieandtheMagicTorch Fri 05-Oct-12 20:18:54

TheGold

I use minicab to distinguish it from a black taxi (London)

Pandemoniumwearspurpleshoes Fri 05-Oct-12 20:42:27

Our minicabs also text when they have arrived, the text contains colour and model of the car, and their number plate. Its great as you can stay inside the house/pub in the warm, and they don't have to leave their taxi/hoot their horn. I never have any issues with their driving when I'm in the minicab, but sometimes find them annoying when I'm driving.

AreAllMenTheSame2 Sat 06-Oct-12 14:05:22

I think you are being unreasonable to assume that most mini-cab drivers have no manners

Unfortunatly the few that you have come across seem to have no manners.but I wouldn't assume that their all mostly like that.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now