Talk

Advanced search

AIBU to be really annoyed at my friend for blaming every cold she gets on me?

(18 Posts)
PenguinBear Fri 05-Oct-12 06:55:04

My so called best friend often gets a cold. She works in a school ( I work in a different one) and IMO colds etc are par for the course, especially when you work with very little ones.

The other week I had a cold. She didn't see me till the Sunday when she already had cold symptoms and is claiming she caught the cold from me. 

She has made comments such as " I always get a cold a few days after you" or "no-one at my chool had a cold so it couldn't be from there" hmm

I have tried explaining how the cold virus can be transmitted and incubation periods etc but she doesn't seem to believe any of it. I even tried to explain how the virus can be transmitted via hands such as touching door handles or petrol pumps and not washing hands before eating but she rubbished all that too.

She also believes that paracetamol actually cure colds but that's another story

What can I say or do to show her she isn't catching all her colds from me? 

AIBU? It's really starting to annoy me now and would love to know what to say to her.

LittleAbruzzenBear Fri 05-Oct-12 07:02:11

YANBU - you are right about incubation periods, you wouldn't have been infectious when you saw her and she works in a school. No-brainer. I would print out an article on colds and give it to her, along with a slap box of tissues.

OutragedAtThePriceOfFreddos Fri 05-Oct-12 07:53:08

If she is stupid enough to believe that paracetamol actually cures colds, then you have no hope of her understanding sense.

Caerlaverock Fri 05-Oct-12 07:59:26

Wear a surgical mask next time she come round and spray her in disinfectant every 5 mins

RunsWithScissors Fri 05-Oct-12 09:12:31

Simple. Don't meet up with her for the next few months (prime cold season). See is she gets a cold. Tell her that you haven't (even if you need to stretch the truth), then say that you must have been getting your colds from her ;-)

RunsWithScissors Fri 05-Oct-12 09:13:04

See IF, not IS.

CuriousMama Fri 05-Oct-12 09:19:09

How old is she? What a odd way of thinking in this day and age when there's so much information out there. Even the tv ran adverts on the transference.

caramelsmadfuzzytail Fri 05-Oct-12 09:29:41

Tell her that you like to share things because you are generous. [ grin]

ZiggyPlayedGuitar Fri 05-Oct-12 09:31:25

I'd just keep it simple and tell her to STFU.

cheekybarsteward Fri 05-Oct-12 09:44:19

You should say "Oh, you are funny when you pretend to be stupid, I hope that isn't contagious as well?" grin

pictish Fri 05-Oct-12 09:46:59

No-one at her school has got a cold? hmm
Really? Not one single person in the whole school?

I'd have to tell her. Stop blaming every cold you get on me - it makes you seem bizarre!!

DameFanny Fri 05-Oct-12 09:50:12

Yy to the surgical mask and antiseptic spray grin

MrsRajeshKoothrappali Fri 05-Oct-12 10:02:43

I agree with not seeing her.

If she asks why then say that you would hate to make her ill again .

SoleSource Fri 05-Oct-12 11:29:41

Yanb b b aiiiitttchhhoooooo!

hmm

PenguinBear Fri 05-Oct-12 16:42:20

I am glad I am not rig unreasonable as the regular comments have been rather irritating of late.

PenguinBear Sat 06-Oct-12 08:41:16

She saw me last night with a cold. It was a big event and She wasnt even anywhere near me for most of it. Any useful things I can say if she gets one over the next week and tries to blame me? grin

GrimAndHumourless Sat 06-Oct-12 08:43:52

I wouldn't bother

Try to distance self, she sounds a real drag

"Dear friend, your comments are scientifically inaccurate and personally offensive. Either get over this stupid belief, or decide never to see me and my super-bugs again. Yours infectiously, PenguinBear."

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now