Talk

Advanced search

To give a second hand birthday present?

(10 Posts)
ellargh Thu 04-Oct-12 08:59:44

DC1 is going to a birthday party this weekend for someone in the Reception class. I don't have a lot of money so picked up an almost new looking popular character cushion to wrap up. It's lovely (or so I think) and I would be thrilled for it as a gift for my DC but was wondering if it's okay to give a second hand gift with no tags?

I've run the steamer over it to make sure it's clean and plan to just wrap it up nice with a birthday card.

AIBU?

mollymole Thu 04-Oct-12 09:00:58

I don't see a problem with this as long as it has the fire safety tag on.

pigletmania Thu 04-Oct-12 09:23:09

YANBU sounds lovely. If its in good clean safe condition, why not!

fuckwittery Thu 04-Oct-12 09:27:21

No not at all. When DD had her last birthday she wanted to invite everyone in the class but ended up with way too many presents. Half of them "got lost" on the way home from the party (she didn't notice!) and I have since recycled as presents. I am all for cheap and recycled presents!

SalagadooLamagicaboo Thu 04-Oct-12 09:41:30

I wouldn't mind at all,

I buy most of dd's toys second hand, so she wouldn't notice the difference!

snigger Thu 04-Oct-12 09:50:04

Recycle away - some mums at toddlers when DD was small actually colluded on this point, with the proviso that no 'in-law' (ie loud, requiring many many batteries, prone to go off at three am unattended) toys were in the mix.

crocodilesmiles Thu 04-Oct-12 13:28:24

YANBU - I've bought DVDs from the exchange shop before and given them as presents. It saves money, the recepient was happy and it's better for the environment - So, it's win win. smile.

purplehouse Thu 04-Oct-12 13:30:26

They won't know anyway will they? Some items aren't tagged to start with.

Spidermama Thu 04-Oct-12 13:32:35

I would be delighted to receive a second hand present. I'm all for pre used stuff. There's enough junk on this planet and when I think of the presents I've been given in the past which my kids have ignored or crunched underfoot so have ended up in landfill, I feel depressed.

familyfun Thu 04-Oct-12 13:35:21

im going to be the odd one out and say i wouldnt want my reception age child to receive a 2nd hand cushion.
plastic toys can be washed/wiped, 2nd hand books fine, but cushions that kids lie on, may have come from a smoky house/dog house, i wouldnt give it my child and i know people will think im rude but its true.
if it was machine washable fine but if not i wouldnt use it.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now