Talk

Advanced search

To become a slob

(13 Posts)
Doogle2 Wed 03-Oct-12 19:45:11

OK I'll admit I am a crap house cleaner. I have not tried really hard but I just can't get it right. Kids, dog and husband all leave a mess and I just don't find satisfaction in tidying it all away. I can't be the only one who has a kitchen table that represents a letter/toy/random objects palace or be the only woman who is actually scared to discover what is underneath the sofas.

Please please help find the 'how clean is your house' excitement before I am found lying underneath a deadly pile of ironing, or at least admit you are the same as me....

McHappyPants2012 Wed 03-Oct-12 19:48:38

disclaimer my house is newly decorated and new carpet throughout.

my house at this moment of time all that needs doing is 1 load of washing and to unload the dishwasher.

table is always clear and i set routine when things are done.

SoleSource Wed 03-Oct-12 19:51:17

Welcome to my world. Be scared, be TERRIFIED!

MammaTJisWearingGold Wed 03-Oct-12 19:51:59

Doogle your house sounds like mine.

I am, I really am, going to sort the living room out this weekend. Then the kitchen next weekend.

Then maybe my room the weekend after that.

scarlettsmummy2 Wed 03-Oct-12 19:54:47

It's just constant isn't it! I try and do something every day so I don't get overwhelmed. In particular I try and iron three or four times a week as it builds up so quickly.

Inneedofbrandy Wed 03-Oct-12 20:18:03

I can't sit in a mess, I can't tidy up unless it's already tidy. I find being organised and tidy lets me be lazy. For example, if your kitchen is spotless apart from 3 or 4 cups, you wash the 3 or 4 cups while the kettles boiling and the kitchen is back spotless again. It did take me a couple of years to get that right mindset and a house house clearance and re decoration whichmylovely--stepdad--did

McHappyPants2012 Wed 03-Oct-12 20:25:05

i iron most evening, just the bits we need for the next day.

once 1 load is dry put it away until you plan to wear it.

Soditall Thu 04-Oct-12 11:04:18

I cant relax if there's a mess around me it just seems to invade my space.

Why can't your husband pick up after himself or help out and how old are your children? If they're old enough to pick up after themselves then there's your answer to your problem every one else around you isn't doing they're share.

We have 5 children and 10 pets,but the house is still clean and tidy.I have jobs I do every day and my husband and our 4 older children pick up after themselves,so I pick up after myself and our youngest child and tidy after the pets.

ellargh Thu 04-Oct-12 11:06:39

I have stained carpet on the stairs and landing that I can't afford to replace and the bathroom needs a really good scrub.

Generally untidy sad

Startailoforangeandgold Thu 04-Oct-12 12:22:06

Chaos abounds, but MN and lunch call.
Tidying can always waitgrin

dolcegusto123 Thu 04-Oct-12 12:32:11

My downstairs is okay at the moment but the upstairs is a bombsite, looks pretty much like I have been burgled and they have trashed the place plus clothes (they are cleaned just not put away) everywhere. I have alot to do actually but I just cant get motivated at all. hence why im on here and not cleaning. ahh well I will get there

Doogle2 Thu 04-Oct-12 13:54:16

Thanks for the ideas/comments. Will get started on the ironing, just 5 more minutes on mumsnet......grin

maddening Thu 04-Oct-12 14:24:29

Clear everything that doesn't belong where it is and you table of crap into a box or two. Then do a good Hoover and dust, clean bathroom, clean windows etc

Create a file system - e.g. in, out, to file.

Each night spend 30mins going through the box and redistribute items to their rightful home. Once the box is empty do the kitchen cupboards. Going forward - If dc or Dh leave anything lying around chuck it in the box. Maybe take turns with dc and Dh clearing out the box but that is the only clutter place going forward. Dc and dh might see the error of their ways if they have to sort it too.....

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now