Talk

Advanced search

AIBU to be slightly miffed?

(27 Posts)
neverputasockinatoaster Wed 03-Oct-12 16:39:35

As part of her uniform DD wears a -nasty, synthetic- cardigan with the school logo on. It was flipping expensive. DD is in F2 ( Reception).

I am a teacher and thus know the pain of the unlabelled clothing and so DD's cardigan is labelled in 2 places - on the label near the hem and on the size label in the collar. I am a bit funny about how things look, hate iron in labels and thus have used a laundry pen and my lovely, neat, primary school teacher handwriting. Both labels are clear and easy to read.

Yesterday DD came out of school clutching her cardigan and some one has written her name in HUGE letters in -nasty- black marker pen in really scruffy handwriting ON the fabric of the cardigan.

I am a bit miffed. I don't feel IABU to be miffed but I thought I'd check. If I'm not BU I might have to say something. If the teacher had come to me and asked if I could make the labelling larger I might not be so miffed. But I am. Miffed that is.

YoullLaughAboutItOneDay Wed 03-Oct-12 16:41:02

They have written on the actual cardigan? YANBU. I would be furious.

NervousAt20 Wed 03-Oct-12 16:42:13

YANBU and I would deffinatly speak to the teacher

Catsdontcare Wed 03-Oct-12 16:43:54

I would be really pissed off about that

mnistooaddictive Wed 03-Oct-12 16:44:07

I would be furious, I use see on labels so it can be passed on to dd2 without her having to wear clothes with her sister's name in.

MrsMangelfanciedPaulRobinson Wed 03-Oct-12 16:44:40

I would be very cross! YANBU. What an odd thing for a staff member to do, I'd say it almost counts as vandalism!

neverputasockinatoaster Wed 03-Oct-12 16:45:28

Yup YoullLaugh on the actual cardigan.

See, I was planning to pass the cardigan on to the PTA once she had outgrown it as they sell the uniform on to raise funds. It can't be passed on now.

MadamFolly Wed 03-Oct-12 16:47:35

I would be very irritated, why on earth would they do that?

YoullLaughAboutItOneDay Wed 03-Oct-12 16:47:41

I would be going in to complain. If they had written in ugly marker pen on the label or something, well you live with it. But you don't write on clothes. Even if you thought it wasn't labelled, you don't write on clothes.

NatashaBee Wed 03-Oct-12 16:49:33

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

slartybartfast Wed 03-Oct-12 16:50:50

thats pathetic of whoever wrote it

neverputasockinatoaster Wed 03-Oct-12 16:51:33

When I had a class ( now a 1 2 1 support teacher) we all had laundry marker pens and we would write on the labels if the clothes were unlabelled. BUT we used neat writing and an appropriate pen!

Glad I'm not BU. Now to pluck up the courage to speak to teacher. She scares the pants off me!

neverputasockinatoaster Wed 03-Oct-12 16:54:34

NatashaBee - DD has confirmed that it was her teacher that did it. The writing is too well formed to be the writing of an F2 child despite being a bit scruffy.

Apparently it was because my label on the label wasn't clear enough and her cardi was getting muddled up with another persons. (DD has reported back now I've asked the right questions).

slartybartfast Wed 03-Oct-12 16:55:24

will it come out in the wash after a year or use?

MrsMangelfanciedPaulRobinson Wed 03-Oct-12 16:56:08

So you labelled a cardigan twice in the normal places where people name cardigans and the teacher says it wasn't clear enough? How ridiculous!

cheekybarsteward Wed 03-Oct-12 17:03:00

That would explain the handwriting I guess Natasha?
Thank you for reminding me to order more nametags OP.
I would be livid.

fryingpantoface Wed 03-Oct-12 17:03:46

I'd complain. That's just ridiculous

MarysBeard Wed 03-Oct-12 17:05:42

Definitely complain. What arses.

neverputasockinatoaster Wed 03-Oct-12 17:06:22

It is going in the wash tonight...

Am thinking of being a bit PA about it - I have a meeting on Friday with teacher for settling in progress report. I thought I might drop in that I was a bit worried that the children seem to be writing on each others clothes and while nobody can see the marks on DD's cardi as it is at the back they may do damage to other clothes in more obvious places..........

OnwardBound Wed 03-Oct-12 17:08:44

I would be very cross too and i don't think this is the right message that the teacher is sending to the children, that writing on clothes is acceptable!

The least she could have done is reported to you that she was having difficulty with seeing your DDs name on the label and asked you to put in a bigger label or something.

But to write on her clothes, I am shock!

On another point, I was interested [and heartened!] to see that you are terrified a bit scared of your DDs teacher.

I also feel like a quivering flippity gibbet around my DSs reception teacher.

She feels quite powerful as the top dog in that environment and you can just tell she loves ruling the roost and has complete control over the children, if not the staff and parents too!

I mean she seems very nice but also makes it very clear that she is in charge. And picks me up on various small misdemeanors every day, like pushing my baby in pushchair into classroom [against fire safety, fair enough], or staying too long if DS is distressed at my leaving [saying he is power struggling with me] or not putting his book bag on the correct peg...

Sorry I digress but I just found it interesting that we are two professional women way past school age ourselves who are a bit intimidated by their Dcs teacher!

slartybartfast Wed 03-Oct-12 17:08:44

<<evil>> op grin

MrsMangelfanciedPaulRobinson Wed 03-Oct-12 17:10:06

I would just go in tomorrow and complain about it. In fact, I'd make quite a big deal actually about the teacher de-facing your property and tell her in no uncertain terms that is isn't to happen again and if it does you will make a formal complaint.

Badvoc Wed 03-Oct-12 17:16:06

Complain.
That's wilful damage of personal property!!

neverputasockinatoaster Wed 03-Oct-12 17:22:21

OnwardBound - she was DS's teacher too........

I have a problem with eye contact - I can make eye contact but too much of it upsets me.... she has read my mind and now makes it her mission to hold eye contact with me for as long as possible!

And, on a different note, I am sooo pleased I have done and AIBU post and not had to retreat in tears!

Yanbu - I'd ask for a new cardigan to be provided!

Tangent - my dd's reception teacher (well the equivalent here) was in Father Ted so if I ever felt intimidated I just had to watch that episode (not telling you which one for fear of outing myself)!

And no, she wasn't Mrs Doyle!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now