Advertisement

loader

Talk

Advanced search

Help!!!

(18 Posts)
TheCalvert Tue 02-Oct-12 21:16:47

Sorry, have posted here as it has the most traffic, but i have been following Jane Sherriff and her campaign for stopping glass bottles/glasses in pubs/nightclubs with late openings following the fatal stabbing of her husband in April.

It is heart-breaking. It was in the national news and it has been getting a considerable amount of publicity.

She needs 100k signatures on her petition to get her cause to parliament and she is well on the road, but she needs more!

Please can you (if you have time) check out her website at www.pop-campaign.co.uk.

She is also available on Fb on at Bottle Stop and @JaneySherf on twitter.

Please help her reach her target, it is such a brilliant cause, and has really touhed me.

Thanks!

quoteunquote Tue 02-Oct-12 23:34:35

just horrible, thanks for the link.

theoldtrout01876 Wed 03-Oct-12 01:08:26

a friend of mine was glassed for refusing to dance with a guy at a function.

She wasnt rude or nasty just said no thanks.We were all with her and honestly before anyone could blink let alone react he had smashed his pint glass on the bar and ground it into her face. Missed her eye by a fraction of an inch and she was heavily scarred from that point on.

It took years for her to get to the point where she could go out again and was always extremely self conscious about the scars.

That split second haunts me 25 years on. God knows what its done to her ( we lost touch when I left the UK). Ive signed

ripsishere Wed 03-Oct-12 01:40:36

Hideous. Signed the petition.

Napdamnyou Wed 03-Oct-12 01:43:25

Signed.

AngryBeaver Wed 03-Oct-12 01:45:57

I have signed it already, and I share most posts she makes on fb. It's so awful,they looked such a lovely family

TheGOLDCunnyFunt Wed 03-Oct-12 08:51:44

I signed, the Smith and Jones pub and the Wetherspoons in our town switch the glasses from glass to plastic at around 8pm

TheGOLDCunnyFunt Wed 03-Oct-12 08:54:32

I signed, the Smith and Jones pub and the Wetherspoons in our town switch the glasses from glass to plastic at around 8pm on the weekends and we had a nightclub that ONLY had plastic glasses and bottles.

So some places already do have plastic glasses and bottles. Hopefully it won't be 'some' soon, it'll be 'all'.

TheGOLDCunnyFunt Wed 03-Oct-12 08:55:28

Oops, didn't realise the first one posted!

porcamiseria Wed 03-Oct-12 08:55:38

GAWD

i do however think that the problem is people, not glasses. sorry

jojo1983 Wed 03-Oct-12 08:58:24

Signed so hope the government pass this

BLOO3Z Wed 03-Oct-12 09:01:30

I've already signed tragic you can feel her pain in the posts on fb..such a unnecessary loss of life.

MavisG Wed 03-Oct-12 09:38:09

OldTrout, please tell me he went to prison for that? Appalling.

theoldtrout01876 Thu 04-Oct-12 00:45:58

MavisG Im ashamed to say I have no idea what happened to him,I assume he went to jail.

I know that by the time the cops came for him hed mysteriously "fallen down the stairs". We were at a navy function,(we were both wrens) and the guys got hold of him before the cops got there.

She never actually talked about it much,I always got the impression she was too traumatized tbh. She wasnt a close friend so I wasnt someone shed confide in too much. I just know her life changed forever that day

MavisG Thu 04-Oct-12 06:37:17

It must have been so horrible just to witness such a hateful act of violence. I'm glad at least he was caught. I had a horrible vision of him melting into the crowd and getting away with it. Not that any of it could be much comfort to that poor woman.

TheCalvert Mon 08-Oct-12 23:57:16

*bump

wherearemyGOLDsocks Tue 09-Oct-12 00:43:43

I'm a publican, I've signed it.

Years ago when I was at work I thought I was going to get glassed once. It was the last Friday before Christmas, we had a bunch of drunk guys in, I'd warned the manager hours before about them but he didn't do anything until they were really really drunk. Eventually he kicked them out, I was near the door, one of them had a glass in his hand which I asked to take. He came right up into my face with it threatening me whilst his friends all surrounded me so I couldn't go anywhere. I just stood there and didn't say a word, luckily for me he just slammed the glass down on the table and walked out. I left a few weeks later but not before telling the manager what a dick head he was. Unfortunately there are still some publicans out there who just want to take as much money as they can and worry about the consequences later.

Pinotgrigioplease Tue 09-Oct-12 01:00:15

Signed

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now