Talk

Advanced search

To think toddlers with cold sores shouldn't be in nursery

(133 Posts)
ScariestFairyByFar Tue 02-Oct-12 20:54:00

One of the kids at dd's nursery had a big nasty cold sore last week now she has one. Argh! They don't let them in with cp and once it's done it's done as long as your not high risk, she'll have this virus for the rest of her life.

vodkaanddietirnbru Tue 02-Oct-12 20:58:34

hpa says no exclusion needed for cold sores. She must have had pretty close contact with the infected child to manage to get it or maybe she picked it up from elsewhere

unclefluffy Tue 02-Oct-12 20:59:52

I'm with you.

ScariestFairyByFar Tue 02-Oct-12 21:00:52

Not been around anyone else whose had them. I don't get them my mum gets them but hasn't had one for ages. Not been in close contact with anyone else outside nursery.

whistlestopcafe Tue 02-Oct-12 21:01:21

YABU. A cold sore outbreak can last for months you can't lock your children away for the whole winter.

NewishGirl Tue 02-Oct-12 21:02:19

So are you keeping your daughter off nursery now that she has one?

Walkingchloe Tue 02-Oct-12 21:03:04

I would be livid. Cold sores can be passed on by sharing towels and cups etc I'm sure. Ds isn't old enough for nursery yet so I've no idea how much stuff gets shared or how close contact is but I'd still be annoyed. YANBU

AnnaLiza Tue 02-Oct-12 21:03:18

YABU
It's a cold sore, not the plague

ScariestFairyByFar Tue 02-Oct-12 21:03:47

I've put Zovirax on it and its fading, she's off now till Friday.

whistlestopcafe Tue 02-Oct-12 21:04:57

So what do you suggest walkingChloe? Keep the child off nursery for months? What about school aged children?

RandomMess Tue 02-Oct-12 21:05:56

The first attack can be really really nasty, a mouthful of ulcers, child not able to eat etc etc.

I am very surprised that they don't to be excluded for it.

TheSurgeonsMate Tue 02-Oct-12 21:06:11

I'd need more education on this to agree with you. My instinct is - meh. Doesn't nearly everyone carry it? What do you mean about high risk?

[If a similar post by me also appears, that's the one that got lost in the internet, sorry]

rubyslippers Tue 02-Oct-12 21:07:06

You can't catch them from towels can you?!

iliketea Tue 02-Oct-12 21:11:29

YABU and a bit ridiculous. Some people are prone to cold sores (I get one every time I'm slightly stressed or run down), some people seem completely immune (DH has never had one in his.life). If dd ends up like me, she would never be there - am sure our employers would be delighted to accomodate me or DH being off half the year because dd has a cold sore hmm. It's a cold sore, not the plague.

ScariestFairyByFar Tue 02-Oct-12 21:12:06

I think you can catch them from towels.
The high risk was in relation to chicken pox.

rubyslippers Tue 02-Oct-12 21:14:33

Have googled

Can only catch through direct skin contact so NOT through crockery and towels

DS has them - none of us have caught it from him

vodkaanddietirnbru Tue 02-Oct-12 21:16:56

netdoctor says The virus can only be transmitted by close personal contact such as kissing so is not passed by cups and towels

www.netdoctor.co.uk/diseases/facts/coldsores.htm

whistlestopcafe Tue 02-Oct-12 21:17:24

I used to get them as a child and they would last the whole winter. I don't get them anymore.

Ds started getting them last year and again we can't seem to get rid of it. I have no plans to home educate for the winter season!

vodkaanddietirnbru Tue 02-Oct-12 21:18:02

Dh gets cold sores but I have never had one and neither have our two children

ScariestFairyByFar Tue 02-Oct-12 21:18:48

Do they not go away if treated with anti viral cream?

MummysHappyPills Tue 02-Oct-12 21:22:19

Ummm, you'll have chicken pox for the rest of your life too, that's how people get shingles...

Yabvvvu. Nearly everyone has been exposed to the cold sore virus, some people ate unlucky enough to keep getting them back occasionally, others don't. But you won't avoid getting the virus. Even without a visible cold sore you could still pass it on. It's not the bloody plague ffs!

whistlestopcafe Tue 02-Oct-12 21:22:29

Goes away for about a week but keeps coming back.

MummysHappyPills Tue 02-Oct-12 21:24:08

And scariest, anti viral cream is quite often not effective, especially if not used very early, you just have to let the immune system work really, creams may speed up the process but not always.

vodkaanddietirnbru Tue 02-Oct-12 21:24:36

according to the nhs site she could have caught it well before the child brought it into the nursery as it says:

In most cases, the virus is passed on in early childhood, for example, when a child is kissed by a family member or friend with a cold sore.
The virus passes through the skin and travels up the nerves where it lies dormant (inactive) until it is triggered at a later date.

Walkingchloe Tue 02-Oct-12 21:26:53

Sorry I take my misinformed comment back about catching the virus from cups and towels. And I take the point that you can't home educate for months but I still think cold sores are painful, annoying and unsightly and I would rather Ds is not exposed to the virus in the first place. People aren't prone or not prone; they either have the virus or they don't.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now