Talk

Advanced search

To ask for lent item back after three years

(11 Posts)
wheremommagone Tue 02-Oct-12 20:20:20

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

Yika Tue 02-Oct-12 20:23:05

Ask for it! But since you didn't specify whether it was given or lent, don't be too upset if it's been passed on etc.

HecateHarshPants Tue 02-Oct-12 20:24:54

If you didn't specify, then they may well have assumed you gave it to them. That's going to be awkward if so.

All you can do is say hey, remember that X I loaned you, can I swing by and pick it up, only such and such has happened and I need it back now.

But be aware they may have, since you didn't specify, assumed you gave it to them. Maybe they don't even have it any more?

Did they ask you for it or did you offer?

wheremommagone Tue 02-Oct-12 20:28:20

RaisinDEtre Tue 02-Oct-12 20:29:36

please please let it not be a black coat eh

The time elapsed without you asking for return could easily have been misconstrued as you having actually given it to them

awkward

squeakytoy Tue 02-Oct-12 20:29:56

well you could ask if they still have it, and if they dont just buy a secondhand one, presuming £70 was the new price.. and the one you get back would be second hand if they did still have it..

cfc Tue 02-Oct-12 20:31:21

What is it wmg? Like a Tens Machine or sommat? Can we help if they've passed it on perhaps?

Defo just say it as Hecate says, all nonchalant like...

MisForMumNotMaid Tue 02-Oct-12 20:31:37

I'd go with the line 'I'm after an x,y,z. Do you still have one and if so are you using it?'

Tryingtothinkofnewsnazzyname Tue 02-Oct-12 20:31:59

Potentially awkward given that it wasn't made clear whether a loan or a gift. But could you say 'Oh, have you still got that X that you had off me a few years ago?' and then if they say yes, you can say 'Well, I wasn't that clear about it, I know, but I meant it as a loan - it hasn't been a problem before but right now I really need it. Can I get it back from you? You can always borrow it again if you need it' (if that's true, which I assume it would be).

If they say 'no, we got rid' then I think you have to chalk this one up to experience.

HeadfirstForHalos Tue 02-Oct-12 20:52:44

Just say "I don't suppose you still have the xxxx you had off me a few years ago?". But be prepared to shrug it off in a "no problem" way if they haven't, it will avoid/minimalise any embarrassment.

wheremommagone Tue 02-Oct-12 21:39:38

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now