Talk

Advanced search

to be dreading Christmas morning already.... (very privileged children)

(58 Posts)
altinkum Tue 02-Oct-12 18:20:38

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

NatashaBee Tue 02-Oct-12 18:22:50

avivabeaver Tue 02-Oct-12 18:23:58

ask them to put money into an account towards uni fees. set a limit of £20 per person. get them to use their imaginations.

ProudNeathGirl Tue 02-Oct-12 18:24:28

Can you ask them to spend a maximum amount each (£50?)

Some if the already bought presents could be kept for his birthday.

Sirzy Tue 02-Oct-12 18:24:43

Get him tickets to a panto?

I think encouraging the days out type things sounds good!

AngryFeet Tue 02-Oct-12 18:24:46

I think you need to have words with them. It is lovely that they are so generous but that is an awful lot of presents for one child! Too late for this year though...

SlightlySuperiorPeasant Tue 02-Oct-12 18:25:12

Definitely put forward the 'time presents' when asked for suggestions. Just be honest and say he has everything he could possibly want or need but he loved spending time with you at x so something similar would be brilliant.

Derceto Tue 02-Oct-12 18:25:21

Is it possible that you buy next to nothing to add some balance.

Have you asked people to buy less, when I make that request I am listened to.

HecateHarshPants Tue 02-Oct-12 18:25:22

What about saying "oh, you're so kind, he's got so many things that you know what he really love? A day out with you at such and such a place. Perhaps you could mock up a voucher promising one fun day with X at Y. He'd be so thrilled."

Would that work, do you think?

Flojo1979 Tue 02-Oct-12 18:26:03

Isnt it deaf ears?

flyoverthegoldenhill Tue 02-Oct-12 18:26:07

You need to have a serious talk with all your relatives. If they dont get rid of some of this shit then let ds take it, still wrapped to the local childrens ward, hospice, etc. They are seriously out of order. But at least your ds sounds a sweetie, just make sure you keep him that way!

McHappyPants2012 Tue 02-Oct-12 18:27:08

it would fall on deaf ears in my family.

days out sounds a great idea, may use that one myself smile

sookiesookie Tue 02-Oct-12 18:27:13

You say they won't listen and its not a bragging thread, so what is it you expect MN to magically do?
The only thing you can do is tell them you want them limit the money and tell them to stick to an amount.

OstrichSized Tue 02-Oct-12 18:27:27

I don't think I can help but I can sympathise. Just in the fact that my dd would rather spend some time with the aunts and uncles playing with a stick rather than on her own with the toys.
But some people just don't get it. I'm not sure how they can be persuaded otherwise.

I'm sure they tut at how little I get mine for Xmas but really, what's the point in adding to the craziness.

Leena49 Tue 02-Oct-12 18:28:03

Mm it's all got a bit out of hand I feel. Tone it down a bit now. Money towards a trip a good idea. My dds friend has always had everything. They just got back from a 3 week holiday to California and she couldn't even remember going to Las Vegas. Desensitisation.

sookiesookie Tue 02-Oct-12 18:28:41

flojo i am glad someone else has said that. i thought I had been using the wrong saying for years....or have I. I always though it was deaf ears.

Felicitywascold Tue 02-Oct-12 18:32:09

Days out.

Talk to them.

Encourage DC to donate whatever he has but doesn't use from last Christmas/birthday so at least it goes to a good home and your house doesn't fill up and up. There is nothing intrinsically wrong in your DC getting a lot of material goods as long as you encourage him to give back to the community in an age appropriate way (donate to charity, make up amazing gifts for the hospital/do stonking shoeboxes etc..etc..

Sirzy Tue 02-Oct-12 18:35:59

I would certainly encourage a pre Christmas "thin out" of toys. Take them to the local childrens ward (as long as no soft toys) and they will be put to good use!

altinkum Tue 02-Oct-12 18:36:16

Lulabellarama Tue 02-Oct-12 18:37:40

We've had to instigate a rule that DS1 gets an 'experience' rather than a physical gift because it was getting silly. (He and his brother are the only kids in the family so far)
So my mum is taking him to Dubai for his birthday. hmm
Not sure they've got the hang of this yet

Viviennemary Tue 02-Oct-12 18:38:38

A lot of very wealthy parents manage to ensure their children are not spoilt and brought up in a balanced way. I wouldn't stress too much over this unless you are a multi billionaire.

altinkum Tue 02-Oct-12 18:39:01

PropositionJoe Tue 02-Oct-12 18:40:10

Can you have a heart to heart with them, look really upset, explain how awful you feel and how difficult it makes it as one child has so much more than another and how you worry the kids will become really materialistic and not value their stuff? Or direct them towards national trust membership and Oxfam goats?

sookiesookie Tue 02-Oct-12 18:41:17

Why send them an email if they won't listen?
FWIW i think that's a good idea and tell them why.
You certainly can put rules on gifts for your own children, imo. Or you can not put them under the tree.

altinkum Tue 02-Oct-12 18:41:45

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now