Talk

Advanced search

to wish that bloody estate agents gave more notice/did what they said they were going to??

(11 Posts)
Herrena Tue 02-Oct-12 14:26:07

FFS.

We are moving house this week and our current place is going to be rented out by the new owner. She asked if we'd mind the estate agents carrying out viewings for potential tenants while we were still here and we said it was fine as long as they didn't expect us to be keeping it tidy for them (we have 2 DSs, 15mo and 2mo, and housekeeping chaos has ensued).

The estate agents keep calling us up at 1-2 hours' notice to ask if it's ok to do a viewing. I am currently a SAHM so we are usually here, eating/napping/destroying furniture etc. The agents either turn up ridiculously late/early or just don't come at all (and don't tell us if it's cancelled, delayed or what). The last one is especially annoying if you're delaying putting a toddler down for his nap until after the scheduled viewing ('cos they'd want to see his bedroom and he'd wake up).

At least we only have to put up with it for 3 more days, but ARGH. AIBU?

plutocrap Tue 02-Oct-12 14:42:54

If it's only 3 more days, LET THEM WAIT.

xkcdfangirl Tue 02-Oct-12 15:32:00

It's only 3 days. Tenants looking for a place to rent move fast - if the EA asks them to wait then more often than not they will see a place that they like an sign contracts immediately and you will miss the boat. Early october is absolutely prime time for renting changeovers (and not just for student tenants - this is generally when lots of people move) but if you miss the boat your property could be empty for a while - if you can afford that then by all means let them wait. f the rent is going to be important for making ends meet then put up with it, this is always how it will be but it's only 3 days.

edam Tue 02-Oct-12 15:33:47

It's not the OP who is renting out, it's the buyer. So I'd say sod them, tbh.

OldLadyKnowsNothing Tue 02-Oct-12 15:33:56

OP's not getting the rent from her home, new owner will be. So Op has all the hassle and inconvenience, for absolutely no benefit.

anice Tue 02-Oct-12 16:00:25

Its par for the course with letting agents. Believe it or not, the agents who do sales rather than lettings are usually the better of the two.

Just give them some rules, don't let them schedule viewings during naps times and turn them away if they arrive outside the appointed time. They will figure it out fast. (They will still be rude and obnoxious but that's just what makes them who they are!)

impty Tue 02-Oct-12 16:15:13

3 days! Let them wait. It's of no benefit to you.

Dillydollydaydream Tue 02-Oct-12 16:22:37

Just be too busy to agree to any viewings. They can't wait 3 days.

QueenStromba Tue 02-Oct-12 18:26:30

Next time they call tell them that you are no longer allowing viewings/will only allow viewings at a particular time/will not allow viewings without a certain amount of notice - whichever you prefer. If they try and argue with you about it being in your contract that you have to allow viewings in the last two months then tell them that they are depriving you of your right to quiet enjoyment and according to the housing act 2004 this right supersedes anything in the contract.

LRDtheFeministDragon Tue 02-Oct-12 18:28:51

Yeah, I'd just say no. I'd say it nicely, but if you are busy, you are busy. They can do it by the book and give you proper notice, since you are doing them a favour here.

Herrena Wed 03-Oct-12 14:30:48

Thanks all - we are actually moving tomorrow (got my days muddled) so the last viewings are this evening. They've already missed the afternoon one without any word of notice angry so only 2 to go I guess.

Also our buyer asked the estate agents to let her know our new address (running it past us first, obv) because she wanted to send us a present to say thanks for being accomodating. I'd rather that she'd added a few grand onto the purchase price of our house but I won't say no to chocolate!

I can't bring myself to be mean or snappy to the individual agents, they are all very polite, nice and so young!! It's not their fault that their industry is demonic. Sigh.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now