Talk

Advanced search

to ask for best tips re self motivation and kids

(14 Posts)
dubbada Tue 02-Oct-12 13:32:55

So its a lovely day i have a list as long as my arm for jobs to be done, not depressed my kids are lovely (sometimes!) my DH is at work and very supportive. So how come im and struggling to get into gear and do something productive.

What would you recommend as a good way to kick start the day to avoid these funks?

Ladies throw me the best you got!!!

JamieandtheMagicTorch Tue 02-Oct-12 13:50:56

dubbada

Are you a SAHM? How old are your children?

I was a SAHM for 10 years. I can honestly say that I only became productive when I had more to do - there simply wan't enough pressure to motivate me - things could always be left for another day. So my recommendation would be to get some voluntary work, or a part-time job.

If that's not possible/desirable, I found I was more productive if I got stuff done in the morning, didn't meet people for coffee/lunch too much, and had a project to do - clearing out a cupboard, decorating a room

JamieandtheMagicTorch Tue 02-Oct-12 13:55:56

P.S, If your children are very young, don't feel guilty about not being "productive". Your "job" is to look after them, primarily.

WilsonFrickett Tue 02-Oct-12 13:56:02

Switch of the interweb.

Sad but true.

JamieandtheMagicTorch Tue 02-Oct-12 13:56:46

Oh yes, that too. I would have been absolutely in a mess if I'd found MN when mine were small.

lljkk Tue 02-Oct-12 13:58:00

Could set yourself goals, like setting timer to do 20 min of housework & "jobs" every hour, and rest of same hour you let yourself potter.

I also find exercise helps; the more exercise I get the more energy I have for other stuff.

But mostly you're just exhausted, I imagine, and need more downtime than you can possibly get (I know that's how I feel).

JamieandtheMagicTorch Tue 02-Oct-12 13:58:59

I also agree with that. If your DCs are small, you are probably very very tired

TroublesomeEx Tue 02-Oct-12 14:02:16

MN is ruining my life in that respect.

I need MN Anonymous.

And The Big Bang Theory has just started on E4.

And I'm thirsty.

And I need to clean the kitchen.

And I can't be arsed.

And I don't even have children here to blame!

dubbada Tue 02-Oct-12 15:51:36

Jamie one has just started and one at home, have decided to write off today and determind to get 5 positive things done in the morning then have afternoons off.

Here goes?!

Nagoo Tue 02-Oct-12 15:58:34

Don't switch the computer on until you have done some of your jobs.

If you start doing things as soon as you get up it is better than trying to force yourself up off the sofa.

So I get up, do school run, shopping on the way back, and tidying before I sit down for brew and MN.

Once i'm settled it's hard to get motivated again.

Also split the things you need to do into small little tasks.

I like to try to do my housework in a hurry, so I kind of pretend someone is ocming round in 30 mins and what can I do to make it all look nice. That sounds pathetic, doesn't it? But it is a way of whipping round and getting lots done in no time.

Inneedofbrandy Tue 02-Oct-12 16:12:50

Get off of MN.

If I had MN when they were small we would of been living in a hovel.

Early starts and to do lists help, rewards to. As I will take the kids Togo collect pine comes and conkers, on our way back from my latte at the cafe.

Startailoforangeandgold Tue 02-Oct-12 16:17:43

sodding MN, I haven't done my jobs either and the DDS will be home very soon.

Goofus Tue 02-Oct-12 16:27:12

I so agree about not turning on the internet. I still have youngest at home and I feel guilty because I know I spend far too much time on here and I'm not giving her my complete attention. I was actually thinking about it today and I feel pretty shit and there's just no excuse for it.
I like the idea of doing everything in the morning before I even turn the laptop on.
Bit of housework, at least one full on 1-1 activity with DD and then relax a bit with a cuppa and MN.

Nagoo Wed 03-Oct-12 12:47:38

How did it go today OP? And everyone else grin

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now