Talk

Advanced search

to remind those of you who would rather that your school DIDN'T support Operation Christmas Child/Samaritans Purse this year..

(9 Posts)
AuntLucyInPeru Tue 02-Oct-12 09:57:09

..that this is the week that the leaflet goes out in schoolbags, so if you were planning on proposing a different charity for this year, you need to get your letters/emails off to the charity rep super quick!

(for those of you who have no idea why, previous threads here)

I will watching out for this in our school - they didn't do it last year but I will be waiting to see if they are proposing it this time.

shrinkingnora Tue 02-Oct-12 10:20:11

Can we keep this thread for suggestions of alternatives? I don't think any more debate is needed and would really like some good ideas to offer the school if anyone has any?

AuntLucyInPeru Tue 02-Oct-12 10:24:51

I've suggested the local Family Centro, who supports homeless families, newly arrived refugees in B&B accommodation, and 'cared-for' children. DV refuges are also often willing recipients but some schools are reluctant as they don't want to open discussions ref DV with reception age children.

WorraLiberty Tue 02-Oct-12 10:25:15

As much as I think it's hilarious anyone would get the hump about spreading the word of God at Christmas of all times....

Someone posted a link to this charity last night and I think it's brilliant. Even if your school doesn't get involved, your kids might still want to write to/send a gift to one of the sick children or their siblings.

Link here

AuntLucyInPeru Tue 02-Oct-12 10:31:45

Hi Worra - I'm a practicing CofE Christian, send my children to a religious school, and will be in Church on Christmas Day - but I'm not a hardline 'burn the Muslims/abortion is murder' right-wing American Evangelical christian - which is the ethos of Samaritans Purse. They're nothing to do with The Samaritans helpline people.

There are a couple of informative websites below, if you're interested.

www.pursestrings.ca/ (Canadian site about the charity)
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Franklin_Graham (Wiki article on the founder)
www.humanism.org.uk/humanism/humanism-today/humanists-doing/charities/samaritans-purse Site with alternative suggestions for schools who do not endorse the extreme evangelical messages.

Diddydollydo Tue 02-Oct-12 10:43:31

Worra that website is fantastic thank you for posting it.

Mary's meals is another alternative that could be suggested to schools. I think I would opt for this one if it comes up.

It is non-denominational but started from the founders Catholic faith (according to the website) They welcome church support/prayers but don't seek to convert the children they are helping to anything. I am an atheist but I would happily support this. As far as I can see, it does the Christian 'helping those less fortunate' but without any sneaky tactics.

WorraLiberty Tue 02-Oct-12 10:55:56

You're welcome Diddy, I can't take the credit though...someone posted it last night but I can't remember who grin

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now