Talk

Advanced search

I'm on the phone to orange

(22 Posts)
Choufleur Tue 02-Oct-12 09:17:31

to cancel the contract my mum had with them as she has died and they want to charge me 13 months that is left of the contract. That's ridiculous right

IANBU

Anniegetyourgun Tue 02-Oct-12 09:19:19

But it wasn't your phone confused

shock surely that cant be right.

Sorry to hear about your mum though sad

SoleSource Tue 02-Oct-12 09:21:54

Yanbu

The fact they're still expecting to be paid is horrid.

Sorry about your lossx

So sorry about your mum sad

That's terrible........sort em out! How dispicable.

Jins Tue 02-Oct-12 09:22:18

I wouldn't put anything past them.

Sorry to hear about your mum.

SparklyGothKat Tue 02-Oct-12 09:26:08

Sorry to hear about your mum. sad

Tell them to forget it and hang up. They can cut it off and try and get the money from your mum. Which of course they can't.

littletingoddess Tue 02-Oct-12 09:28:59

YANBU

Most companies I have dealt with or worked for have written off money that is owed to them by somebody who has passed away. Ask to speak to a supervisor or manager. If asked for documentation (some companies will), offer to send an emailed, scanned copy of these documents. Don't offer to post or fax it unless they offer to pay for the cost to do so. HTH

LunaticFringe Tue 02-Oct-12 09:29:44

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

littletingoddess Tue 02-Oct-12 09:30:17

By the way, I am sorry about your mum. sad Hugs

QuietNinjaTardis Tue 02-Oct-12 09:36:05

Tell them they cannot charge you as you have no contract with them. And neither does your mum now so they can whistle.
I'm sorry for your loss.

KenLeeeeeee Tue 02-Oct-12 09:36:49

I'm sorry about your mum sad

I would definitely challenge that charge. I've worked for Orange before and have never, ever heard of charging relatives to cancel a contract after someone has died. Ask to speak to a manager, and don't be afraid to write in and complain.

HmmThinkingAboutIt Tue 02-Oct-12 09:39:04

They can't charge you. You didn't sign the contract. Your mum did. Ask to speak to a manager. You may need to prove a copy of your Mum's death certificate to prove you are telling the truth but I am pretty damn sure that contracts like this are not binding after a death.

jimblejambles Tue 02-Oct-12 09:41:20

Sorry to hear about your mum
When my dad died my mum rang orange to cancel his contract they told her they couldn't without speaking to him first. Luckily my aunt was there to explain to them that that wasn't possible.

ScarlettInSpace Tue 02-Oct-12 09:43:39

I had something similar, try not to get upset with the jobsworth you are talking to just ask to speak to a manager. The person they have the contract with is sadly no longer able to honour the contract so it is void and you are simply letting them know. Sorry to hear about your loss.

storminabuttercup Tue 02-Oct-12 09:48:59

So sorry about your mum x

They cannot charge you cancellation charges in these circumstances, ask to speak to a manager. X

DogsCock Tue 02-Oct-12 09:56:46

So sorry about your mum. They are out of order. Is the phone in your name? Is that why they want to charge you? Outrageous even so.

Choufleur Tue 02-Oct-12 10:05:30

No not in my name - it was my mum's phone. I've had an argument with them now and confirmed that I don't have to pay and just need to send a copy of teh death certificate. Could do without it though - everyone else I've contacted has been fine.

DogsCock Tue 02-Oct-12 10:13:50

If you can cancel the direct debit then they would have a job to recover the money anyway. Orange a bastards. Was with them for ten years but they got worse and worse with customer service, especially that they charge you to talk to them, so moved to o2.

Choufleur Tue 02-Oct-12 10:17:20

The bank accounts are frozen anyway so that can't take the direct debit

Iheartpasties Tue 02-Oct-12 10:19:22

oh dear - how upsetting. They shouldnt make it stressful for you.

ShellyBoobs Tue 02-Oct-12 10:36:11

So sorry about your mum. sad

I'm glad that you've managed to sort it out with them but it's very sad that they have to put you through additional stress like this.

They really should have a simple process to follow for terminating contracts due to bereavement and it shouldn't include getting into arguments with relatives.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now