Talk

Advanced search

Aibu to think this might teach him what it's actually like to be a parent?

(6 Posts)
Mydogsleepsonthebed Mon 01-Oct-12 19:12:22

My ex that is. I have the kids on a Monday night, they go to activities, on a Tuesday he's supposed to have them but he doesn't have them until after they've done their activity, Wednesday is activities, same on Thursday and Friday ... he never takes them anywhere or does anything he does his best to get out of it if he can. DD2 goes to gymnastics on a Monday night from 6 to 7.30. I pick DD1 up from school at 5.15 after she does training. Went to get into the car tonight - it's dead as a dodo. Phone car mechanic and ex - starter motor has failed. Tell ex he'll have to pick DD1 up from training, and come and get DD2 and take her to gym and then pick her up and either take her to his or drop her here. He is not impressed.

AIBU to think fuck that it won't do you any harm to see what it's like to actually be a parent for an evening instead of picking and choosing the bits you want?

HecateHarshPants Mon 01-Oct-12 19:14:49

Not unreasonable at all.

Although I bet he'll still be moaning about it in 2020 and you will be treated to endless reminders about what a huge favour he's done you.

Mydogsleepsonthebed Mon 01-Oct-12 19:16:19

grin I think you might be right. he tried to persuade DD2 not to go to gymnastics tonight - you'd have thought he was taking her to the fucking artic ciricle. Or timbucktoo. Or something.

MammaTJisWearingGold Mon 01-Oct-12 19:20:22

YANBU!! I have an ex who still chooses his parenting duties, even though DD lives with him. Anything too hard gets dumped on me. Not that I mind, I relish every oportunity to do things for her.

Mydogsleepsonthebed Mon 01-Oct-12 19:22:34

The thing is, I don't mind doing it, except that sometimes it gets tiring and boring. But he can't pick and choose the nice bits. Disney dad personified. Wants the glory but doesn't want to do the graft.

ThreeEdgedSword Thu 04-Oct-12 21:33:11

I know exactly how you feel, it takes almost two days of constant phone calls and fighting to get my ex to take DS, and even then it's only one night. YANBU at all, he needs to make a bloody effort for once!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now