Talk

Advanced search

AIBU - RE Scarlet Fever

(23 Posts)
Rachog Mon 01-Oct-12 18:40:42

DP took our 11 week old ds to visit his mother this afternoon. His sister and nephew were also there, both have scarlet fever.
The NHS says most under 2's will have immunity from their mothers.
AIBU to think that dp should have brought our son home and not assumed that he is one of 'most' under twos? why take unecessary risk, most is not all!

I am prepared to accept if iabu anf ptb (precious third born)

frootshoots Mon 01-Oct-12 18:42:53

YANBU, unneccessary risk imo. But its done now, make him see to poorly baby during the night if god forbid he does get it smile

LonelyCloud Mon 01-Oct-12 18:44:40

YANBU, you're right, it's an unnecessary risk to take. I hope your DS is okay and doesn't catch it.

Pixieonthemoor Mon 01-Oct-12 18:49:21

Don't know about the AIBU but I would just keep a close eye. I had scarlet fever about 11 years ago and then dc1 got it about 4 yrs ago when dc2 was 5 wks old. The GP did not ask any questions about immunity from me (don't know how long it lasts? Some one with greater knowledge will be along to answer that in a mo) but told me to keep a close eye. A rash duly appeared on the baby (I do believe it is highly contagious) and so dc2 got their first dose of the ghastly anti-bios at 5 wks old.

phantomnamechanger Mon 01-Oct-12 18:52:31

But once he was there the potential damage was already done - no sense at all in coming home when baby had already been breathing in there!

as most infectious diseases are at the most infectious before symptoms appear and dx takes place, you could just as well pick up something nasty in Tescos without ever knowing who infected you. still could happen - you would be blaming DH and the rellies, but baby could have picked it up somewhere esle!

I hope your baby is OK, but I think you are over reacting.

MolotovBomb Mon 01-Oct-12 19:00:40

My DD1 had scarlet fever when she was 11mo. She was very ill. I thank my lucky stars that I got her to a Dr who prescribed the necessary antibiotics in time.

Look for a raised, rough-to-the-touch red rash on baby's body. Get your DS to A&E if he's floppy or listless.

Hopefully, he won't get it. And I'd I were you, I'd go postal at your DH (i.e. get very cross indeed).

Rachog Mon 01-Oct-12 19:03:13

thanks for all replies.

pixie that just proves that not all babies are immune. hope you all recoved well!

phantom he would have seen their car so didnt need to take ds in, he already knew they had scarlet fever. I know ds could pick up anything anywhere unknowingly, i just dont think it was sensible to take ds somewhere that he knew there were germs flying about. You can't do anything about passing strangers and their germs, you can avoid people that you know are ill.

G1nger Mon 01-Oct-12 19:03:27

Did he know before he went? If not, his mother should have warned him. He should have stayed away.

Rachog Mon 01-Oct-12 19:06:23

thank you for the advice molotov I will keep a close eye and go straight to a and e if necessary. Glad your dd was ok.

I told him I was furius and told him to go out for awhile. I didn't want to argue infront of the dc and didn't trust myself not to go nuts if he stayed in!

Rachog Mon 01-Oct-12 19:07:48

g1nger, he knew they had it but didn't know they were there when he left. He would have seen their car when he arrived though.

phantomnamechanger Mon 01-Oct-12 19:09:25

why are they even out visiting the MIL?

are they past the infectious stage? maybe DH assumed they were given they were out and about?

G1nger Mon 01-Oct-12 19:13:47

I think he was wrong to go in there. I hope your baby doesn't get too I'll with it. If you're not bf'ing, tell your DH to enjoy his sleepless nights ;)

IneedAsockamnesty Mon 01-Oct-12 19:14:41

i would be mortified if i hadnt told a person who was visiting in advance about something like that.

yanbu to either be cross if they didnt tell him or if they did and he still decided to go

Rachog Mon 01-Oct-12 19:17:09

I have no idea why they were out, DP said he didn't see the need to come home because most babies are immune.

thanks g1nger I am breastfeeding but I will make sure he doesnt sleep ither if ds gets poorly!

eosmum Mon 01-Oct-12 19:25:54

Ds has had it a few times recently, my gp said no contact with anyone until he had been taking the antibs for 3 full days, it's really horrible, poor ds's hands and feet peeled terribly and were really sore for weeks. Hope your lo doesn't get it so young.

eggsandwich Mon 01-Oct-12 19:28:05

Hi All, just like to say that I had scarlet fever when I was 27 years old, was on my way to work had this rash that spread by the time I'd got to work I was covered in it so they sent me home. Went to the doctors who was a little surprised that I had scarlet fever, and signed me off for 2 weeks. I was told however that it was highly contagious, it usual takes five days from infection before the first symptoms appear, however the incubation period may be as short as one day and as long as seven days. It usually clears up after a week on antibiotics.

DigestivesWithPhiladelphia Mon 01-Oct-12 20:26:04

My DS had this when he was around a year old. He was admitted to hospital for a few days & given IV antibiotics. He looked awful & I can still remember it clearly now. YANBU, if your DH knew if advance he shouldn't have gone there & if he didn't know then his sister should face warned him.

DigestivesWithPhiladelphia Mon 01-Oct-12 20:29:20

Another of the early signs was that DS had white blistery patches on his tounge - this was on the first day he had a temperature I think, as far as I remember the rash didn't appear until he'd already been poorly, with a very high temperature, for at least 24 hrs, maybe longer than that.

Rachog Mon 01-Oct-12 21:30:46

Digestives, I am checking his temperature and keeping an eye on him, hopefully for nothing but i have read it is highly contagious.

DP said I am in idiot for checking his temp..

DigestivesWithPhiladelphia Mon 01-Oct-12 21:56:01

Fingers crossed that your DS hasn't picked it up. Re: my DS going into hospital for IV's, I hope that hasn't panicked you if your DS does get it, as it seems that most children have antibiotics at home. My DS just seemed to react strongly to normal childhood illnesses (chest infections, tonsillitis etc) for the first couple of years of his life & had to go in several times for IV's - so it was probably a reflection of his weak immune system rather than the Scarlett fever itself - I just realised I may have scared you by writing that - sorry blush

I'm surprised your DP thinks you are silly for checking his temp though! Your baby is only young & you are his mother, of course you will worry & check on him. Maybe your DP is feeling a bit guilty himself now & that's why he's being defensive?

WidowWadman Mon 01-Oct-12 22:08:56

If they're diagnosed they've been getting their antibiotics already haven't they? IIRC it's not infectious anymore 24 hours after start of antibiotics. That said, I think she should have warned you.

OwedToAutumn Mon 01-Oct-12 22:10:02

Another person saying YANBU.

I had scarlet fever when I was about 8 or 9. I was off school for 6 weeks, despite being treated with antibiotics. I must've been ill as my mother wasn't one to keep us off school for no reason.

Although my younger brother (2or 3 at the time) had it much less severely. Maybe that was the immunity NHS Direct refers to.

Rachog Mon 01-Oct-12 22:22:02

I think you are right digestives, he is the type to get defensive when he realises he is wrong. Don't worry you've not scared me, I realise that must be a sever case.

Widow, I hope you are right, they got their antibiotics from the out of hours docto on saturday.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now