Talk

Advanced search

To think the dental industry is full of tw#ts??

(20 Posts)
BoyMeetsWorld Mon 01-Oct-12 16:54:53

Sorry...need a rant.

Have an abscessed tooth sad first dentist attempts to say they 'accidentally' registered me as a Private patient (I specifically said I was nhs) so would have to charge £700 for root canal and a crown or leave me nearly 2 months with the abscess for nhs.

Second dentist was good on check up but turned up today to begin root canal, to be told "oh sorry, we changed the time of your appt. we did text you..." They had my old phone no on file despite the fact the receptionist at my check up got me to update all my details. I had to leave work 2hrs early for this appointment, get a taxi across town. & even though it was their mistake, they wouldn't fit me in tonight. So now I need to take MORE time off work. & still have the abscess.

How can an industry that charges so much be so spectacularly bad????

Rant over sad sad sad

Trills Mon 01-Oct-12 16:55:55

YABU to think that the industry is full of twats - your sample size is not big enough.

Trills Mon 01-Oct-12 16:56:20

YABU to rant about these two incidents though as having toothache is horrible.

GobblersKnob Mon 01-Oct-12 16:58:37

YAB hugely U, all the dentists I have had have been lovely, my current one far above and beyond the call of duty.

I really dislike it when people say they 'hate dentists' I am not keen on having dentistry done, but that is not the same thing.

Sorry you have an abscess though, hoope you get it sorted soon.

cumfy Mon 01-Oct-12 20:00:30

Ouch, hope your abcess gets sorted out.

I have experienced excellent and useless, arrogant dentists (in the same practice).
It's a bit of a lottery.

BrianCoxIsUpTheDuff Mon 01-Oct-12 20:02:57

I used to train dental nurses.

Some were lovely.

Others were twats.

I shudder to think about the hell some of them put me through.

YABU though, most of the dentists/staff I met were very lovely and seemed to genuinely care for the patients.

YANBU to rant however, having been messed around.

JarethTheGoblinKing Mon 01-Oct-12 20:05:26

Where are you? Maybe someone can recommend a good dentist? I'm with a private dentist personally, but their prices aren't much different to NHS ones.

LaQueen Mon 01-Oct-12 20:06:36

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

LaQueen Mon 01-Oct-12 20:07:43

Sparklingbrook Mon 01-Oct-12 20:09:49

My dentist is fabulous. confused

fanjoforthemammaries7850 Mon 01-Oct-12 20:09:59

Having just got home from a day working in a busy practice and working my arse off to help people as much as I could, I'd better give you a biscuit or else I will say something rude.

JarethTheGoblinKing Mon 01-Oct-12 20:10:20

LaQueen - out of interest, what would two white fillings cost? A friend had them done with an NHS dentist and charged her £600! shock

bumperella Mon 01-Oct-12 20:11:43

Some dentists are dreadful. Others are great. In an ideal world you need to find one you like - and whilst NHS dentists used to be very VERY hard to find/register with, now it seems much easier.
I do wonder why anyone in their right mind would choose to be a dentist though - yukkedyy yuk yuk. Think I'd rather be a colonic irrigator then a dentist (am not sure on the ££ though...)

Tuttutitlookslikerain Mon 01-Oct-12 20:12:39

When I left school, I trained and qualified as a dental nurse. We wouldn't have texted you an appointment change and as it would have been our mistake we would have fitted you in.

I had an appointment for Wednesday at 3.40, I got a text this afternoon to remind me to go tomorrow. I know I didn't make it for tomorrow becuase DS2 has after Maths revision that ends at 4 and I have to pick him up. When I phoned the receptionist, who is spectaularly bad, didn't even apologise.

YABU for making such a sweeping statement, but the service you have received sounds awful TBH.

Tuttutitlookslikerain Mon 01-Oct-12 20:14:11

To be fair to the OP, the £700 was for a RCT and a crown.

wishiwasonholiday Mon 01-Oct-12 20:16:59

Yabu but don't blame you for being annoyed abscesses are horrible.

I am terrified of dentists after bad experiences but luckily have found a lovely dentist who is helping me get over my fear.

LaQueen Mon 01-Oct-12 20:19:55

LaQueen Mon 01-Oct-12 20:21:33

squeakytoy Mon 01-Oct-12 20:22:57

I am surprised they would do anything before treating the abscess with anti-biotics though.

JarethTheGoblinKing Mon 01-Oct-12 20:23:26

Thanks LaQueen - that included a clean and check up, but even so!

I had an hour long appointment recently, 2 tricky white fillings (small ones though), full clean and polish and it was £180 which I thought was quite reasonable?

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now