Talk

Advanced search

to think no I do not want my parcels to be delivered to a neighbour if I am out and

(78 Posts)
threesocksmorgan Mon 01-Oct-12 08:35:40

I don't want to take theirs in either.
I only speak to my next door neighbours, other than that I either don't know the others or they are not nice.
so why would I (SAHM so I will be lumbered) want to play post offices for them

featherbag Mon 01-Oct-12 08:38:22

So opt out? It's not compulsory to do your neighbours a favour. hmm

threesocksmorgan Mon 01-Oct-12 08:40:07

why the hmm?

Fairylea Mon 01-Oct-12 08:40:26

You can let the post office know and they won't ask you to do it.

Sirzy Mon 01-Oct-12 08:40:41

Is it really that much of a hardship to put a parcel in the corner until they come to knock for it?

Certainly much easier to just have to nip next door for a missed parcel than to have to traipse god knows where for it!

detectivebeaver Mon 01-Oct-12 08:42:29

Yawn.

Wasn't there an entire thread on this a couple of weeks ago?

threesocksmorgan Mon 01-Oct-12 08:43:19

so you think that it is a good idea for parcels to be left with people you don't know?

Ragwort Mon 01-Oct-12 08:44:09

Perhaps it would be an opportunity to get to know your neighbours? hmm

Am constantly amazed at the number of people who seem to make no effort whatsoever to meet their neighbours - we have moved a couple of times in the last few years and had no local family or friends,, if we hadn't taken the time & effort to get to know our neighbours we wouldn't have known anyone. There have been a few emergancies where we live and neighbours have really helped each other out.

Sirzy Mon 01-Oct-12 08:44:34

If it saves me traipsing across town or further to get a parcel then yes!

Perhaps (and I know this is a daft suggestion) you could use it as a chance to get to know neighbours!

Bunbaker Mon 01-Oct-12 08:45:54

Can you specify which neighbours parcels are left at? In our cul-de sac we have two sets of neighbours I would be happy to use and one I wouldn't.

StopEatingThatMud Mon 01-Oct-12 08:46:10

Is there a way of having a preferred neighbour does anyone know?

Or more specifically a non preferred option. We barely speak to one side of our neighbours (mid terrace), but I'd be happy for my parcels to go to any of my other neighbours or take theirs in. Not sure if royal mail will be too bothered about that though?!

puds11 Mon 01-Oct-12 08:46:31

I don't mind taking parcels for my neighbours, and i would also rather they took mine, as the office they go to is miles away from me and i don't drive.

throckenholt Mon 01-Oct-12 08:48:32

No real problem, unless someone gets lots of deliveries and is never home. Otherwise, it is a fairly easy and harmless way of building a bit of goodwill between neighbours.

Trills Mon 01-Oct-12 08:51:57

Not everyone wants to get to know their neighbours.

Not all neighbours are the sort you would want to get to know.

Stop looking on the bright side - this isn't about getting to know neighbours and having lovely street parties where the children all play together, it's just about what happens to your parcels.

threesocksmorgan Mon 01-Oct-12 08:52:34

I do know the neighbours near me.
they are not nice.
I take in already for next door who are. but I am unlucky to have some not so nice neighbours.

fanjoforthemammaries7850 Mon 01-Oct-12 08:52:52

When you order stuff there is usually a box where you can specify not to leave parcels with neighbours

threesocksmorgan Mon 01-Oct-12 08:53:34

oh and I would have loved to have "got to know my neighbours" when we were having years of abuse from the local yobs.

squeakytoy Mon 01-Oct-12 09:02:34

anyone read this??

"From tomorrow, postmen will leave parcels with a neighbour if you are out.
Instead of posting a ‘sorry you were out’ note, Royal Mail will deliver next door.
Households can opt out by putting a special sticker near their letter box. And Royal Mail will still be responsible if the post goes missing."

TakeMyEyesButNotTheGoat Mon 01-Oct-12 09:06:40

I don't mind taking in a parcel for my neighbours, I do it quite often for my immediate neighbour.

What pissed me off was my next door but one neighbour. Twice I took in a delivery, twice I had to go and then deliver it to them as it was in my hallway for 2 days.

I won't do it for them anymore.

squeakytoy Mon 01-Oct-12 09:09:38

It doesnt mention Recorded Delivery items on that article either. This is a bit of a worry for me, as I sell a lot on ebay, and I can just imagine this will create further problems with buyers who say they have not received their items.

Trills Mon 01-Oct-12 09:18:55

Does that mean that they'll give it to someone else and not tell me where it is...?

fluffyraggies Mon 01-Oct-12 09:19:02

Good point Squeaky. Recorded has to be handed in at the address and signed for i would hope.

Here we have been taking in parcels for neighbours for years. It's not a new thing at all. Or the postie has them left somewhere hidden near the door and put a note in to say where.

It seems only recently, in fact, that we've started to getting notes saying 'you were out so it's gone back to the PO'. Whyyyyyy?

REALLY annoying! 'Specially when the darn parcel is tiny.

ontheedgeofwhatever Mon 01-Oct-12 09:25:43

I'm actually really pleased about this. However, it remains to be seen whether it will solve the problem i seem to have of the post man sticking a card through my door even when I'm in to say the parcel is at the office. I caught him the other morning and asked for the parcel and got told he hadn't got it with him but had just put a card through "as a courtesy to let me know the parcel was at the sorting office". not the first time either.

I'm lucky thought as i know my neighbours on either side quite well and some of those across the road from me at least to say hello to. I can quite understand that for some having parcels taken by neighbours may be the last thing they want

Peachy Mon 01-Oct-12 09:29:35

I am wondering if I dare have a sticker on my door saying 'leave with anybody but number 9'; in fairness I think she'd do the same for me, we are not fans of each other!

Our postie has taken to signing for recorded items.

I think I will just end up having everything sent to DH's work address instead, we pay a receptionist to take stuff in so may as well. Am very happy to take stuff in for my neighbours, often do, even the mean one, but a lot of our stuff is dh work related and expensive kit so not risking it in an ancient feud.

EdMcDunnough Mon 01-Oct-12 09:33:15

Where do you get the stickers from?

I need a sticker.

Not because we have crap neighbours but because I hate feeling obliged to them and hate them having to take in my crap I've ordered.

I'd rather the postie just left it under something by the door - goodness knows there's enough places to hide things. needs to clear up

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now