Talk

Advanced search

To not decorate the shoebox?

(13 Posts)
ValentineWiggins Sun 30-Sep-12 23:09:19

Harvest festival coming up - please can we all provide a decorated shoebox of food...

Now I know said shoeboxes are not given to individuals in need - the contents are packed into sensible boxes and the shoeboxes are collapsed and thrown away.

So AIBU to think that it's more important to spend the time/effort on the contents of the box and not waste time decorating something going straight in the bin rather than spend hours making the box beautiful then just throw in the almost put of date dregs of the good cupboard that most people seem to do?

SavoyCabbage Sun 30-Sep-12 23:13:43

YANBU. My dd loves decorating a box. I would be hard pressed to find an undecorated one.

aMashedUpPhraseWithGravy Sun 30-Sep-12 23:14:29

YANBU. Decorating a shoebox is not a good use of your time.

noblegiraffe Sun 30-Sep-12 23:16:44

Presumably it wouldn't be you decorating the box anyway?

MsVestibule Sun 30-Sep-12 23:20:32

When I read the thread title, I thought you were talking about Operation Christmas Child and had my "YABU, you wrap your DC's Christmas presents, don't you, ya miserable fecker?" response all ready.

YANBU wink.

5Foot5 Sun 30-Sep-12 23:22:19

"rather than spend hours making the box beautiful"

Crikey how long do you really think it would take to gussy up a little box? Get your DC to stick some pictures on while you are doing something else. Or slap on a bit of paint it will take 5 minutes. Then tie a ribbon round.

Might seem silly if the box is not to be used but I assume it is intended to make the Harvest Festival a bit more picturesque and really it doesn't have to be that difficult

sashh Mon 01-Oct-12 03:47:20

When I read the thread title, I thought you were talking about Operation Christmas Child

If you were giving to operatioon christmas child you really would BU.

Op let your child put a few stickers on the box

3duracellbunnies Mon 01-Oct-12 04:27:49

Yes get a fairly plain box and let the dc loose with glue and glitter (ideally in the garden), then transport it in a plastic bag before the glitter has a chance to populate your house. Let the vicar/ ht enjoy their glitter laden decorated shoebox. Really should get back to sleep, sleep depriivation brings out the worst in me!

exoticfruits Mon 01-Oct-12 07:28:34

YABU - your DCs will love to decorate it, love taking part, love seeing the other efforts and love people seeing theirs. Not doing it strips it of all the fun and makes it boring.

usualsuspect3 Mon 01-Oct-12 07:38:55

Let your DCs decorate the shoebox, job done.

Himalaya Mon 01-Oct-12 07:49:22

I thought this thread would be about Opperation Christmas Shoebollocks too grin.

Harvest festival and the whole tins in boxes thing is a pointless charade. I would love to see schools teach usefully about poverty, social exclusion, homelessness, third world development and social change, but this mawkish tradition isn't it.

That said, DH usually counters my 'bah, humbug' ways and sends stuff in. As to decorating the box, if your kids want to let them get on with it. If they are not bothered send it in as is.

exoticfruits Mon 01-Oct-12 07:50:45

It isn't as if you have to get involved- give them the materials and leave them to get on with it.

Flobbadobs Mon 01-Oct-12 10:16:15

YABU, give DC a glue stick , some glitter and some stickers and make yourself a brew grin
I thought you were on about Operation Christmas Child too and was perfectly prepared to flame you for it smile

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: