Talk

Advanced search

to think that 'inner city kids' are not 'hardened'?

(100 Posts)
CandiStaton Sun 30-Sep-12 23:03:25

just read this on another thread about shouty teachers and bringing bullies into line

a poster said you have to shout to get through to some kids, and you have to shout loudly if the individual is a 'hardened inner city kid' sad

ive heard it before

we are inner-city

kids are kids

you're as likely to find a hideous bully in the country or the leafy suburbs as you are inner-city

and LOUD does not equal naughty...

sad

WorraLiberty Sun 30-Sep-12 23:05:36

Yanbu

But some people are either prejudiced or ignorant when it comes to these things I suppose.

lovebunny Sun 30-Sep-12 23:07:06

sometimes teachers get tired. i'm likely to shout if i'm tired, if behaviour is dangerous, or if someone sneaked up behind me and closed the windows (if i can't get the oxygen panic mode takes over - some classes do it just to see how long it takes).

no, not all inner city pupils are 'hardened'. but some are. some have terrible lives and there isn't much their teachers can do to reach them.

CandiStaton Sun 30-Sep-12 23:08:45

some kids in the countryside have terrible lives lovebunny

CandiStaton Sun 30-Sep-12 23:09:47

hold up, what? lovebunny ...some kids close the windows to make you panic?? confused

WorraLiberty Sun 30-Sep-12 23:13:56

Wtf??

You don't need an open window for an oxygen supply confused

crazynanna Sun 30-Sep-12 23:14:40

Sometimes I get tired at work...but I don't shout at my patients'

CandiStaton Sun 30-Sep-12 23:21:41

haha crazynana...YY...good point...just imagining whether i would be dismissed immediately if i shouted at work because i was tired or if i could collect my things? grin

lovebunny Sun 30-Sep-12 23:24:20

you might not, worra, but i do, and an open window is enough...yes, candi, a shortage of oxygen makes my body go into panic mode.

crazynanna never shouts at her patients (wish i could say the same for my gp) and i'm off to bed.

CandiStaton Sun 30-Sep-12 23:26:40

lovebunny i was asking if the kids a) know that and b) close the window on purpose to make you panic?

are you claustophobic?

WorraLiberty Sun 30-Sep-12 23:28:43

So you would shout at a pupil for simply closing a window rather than seeking help for your own problem? confused

How is that fair?

crazynanna Sun 30-Sep-12 23:31:20

If I shouted at one of my patients',I would expect him/her to make a formal complaint and for me to have to answer to my manager (and maybe worst)...and rightly so.

If tiredness meant I shouted at people I provide a service to...then I am in the wrong job,surely.

akaemmafrost Sun 30-Sep-12 23:32:13

lovebunny from this and other threads I hope massively you are not one of my child's teachers.

crazynanna Sun 30-Sep-12 23:34:36

And yes lovebunny...I can honestly say I have never shouted at a patient...as strange as that sounds to you.

Rubirosa Sun 30-Sep-12 23:37:15

Some children have terrible lives so you have to shout at them confused

Is there a big difference in the amount of oxygen inside compared to outside?

crazynanna Sun 30-Sep-12 23:39:02

Maybe if you stopped shouting you would have more oxygen

steppemum Sun 30-Sep-12 23:41:08

I used to teach in an inner city school. they were not hardened (primary) I found that often they were amazingly naive and innocent. Many of them had so little exposure to anything outside their local environment that they were as I said naive.
They needed firm clear boundaries if home was chaotic. But they needed less shouting and more calm as many of them came from homes where there was a lot of shouting.

Having written all that, I would never any assumptions about home, as we had a wide variety of backgrounds.

And yes I did shout, when I had a bad day, when it was hard work, when I was less than perfect. It wasn't best pratice and I regretted it, but it happened just as it happens now as a mum.

lovebunny Sun 30-Sep-12 23:41:09

you're so right. i'll give up my job immediately. thank you mumsnetters. if only i'd listened to you before.

RaisinDEtre Sun 30-Sep-12 23:42:23

yes children can have pretty awful lives, inner city or remote country, all shades inbetween

BOGGLING at lovebunny shouting at pupils; what if they are cold during lessons, how frankly odd. Please get help lovebunny

WorraLiberty Sun 30-Sep-12 23:44:01

You could give up your job or you could take responsibility for yourself lovebunny

If one of your pupils had a problem would you not advise them to seek help for it?

Or would you advise them to simply shout at everyone and anyone who simply closed a window?

steppemum Sun 30-Sep-12 23:44:52

and my kids went to a village school in an idylic countyr village. I helped in class and was parent governor. There were several families in that school that were on apr with the saddest kids I came across in east London. One liitl girl especially springs ot mind. She was the one who taught my kids every swear word in the dictionary aged 4. But she was such an unhappy little scrap of a thing.

lovebunny Sun 30-Sep-12 23:51:45

Message deleted by Mumsnet for breaking our Talk Guidelines. Replies may also be deleted.

CandiStaton Sun 30-Sep-12 23:54:54

lovebunny confused

TuftyFinch Sun 30-Sep-12 23:57:18

Quick! Open the windows!!!!

WorraLiberty Sun 30-Sep-12 23:57:41

I tell you what I'd like you to do next...and yes I do realise this might be a new and radical idea from a 'silly person'.

But how about you...hmmm let's say take responsibility for yourself as an adult and seek the help you need instead of shouting at school children for simply closing a window?

Strange idea I know but heck you might want to take it on board?

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now