Talk

Advanced search

Come Dine With Me

(22 Posts)
GoldShip Sun 30-Sep-12 18:27:48

Before I start... I love it. It's a guilty pleasure.

One woman on it now though has just said 'oh a young man, I do love young boys' and got a bit giddy
The other week there was an older woman on it who claimed to be a 'cougar' and wouldn't leave a younger lad alone. Making him feel uncomfortable, sexual innuendos all over the show.

AIBU to think that if it was a man saying 'oh I do love young girls' he'd be called every name under the sun? And this 'cougar' business, if it were a male it'd be more like 'perv'.

I don't usually like getting into feminist debates but I keep thinking about it, how come its acceptable for women to behave like this and its all 'a bit of fun' and theyre 'empowered', but not men?

No flaming please, just your thoughts! No right or wrongs I suppose! grin

GoldShip Sun 30-Sep-12 18:28:22

Just realised the title isn't good at reflecting the subject matter! Didn't really think about it

caramelwaffle Sun 30-Sep-12 18:35:36

No grin

McHappyPants2012 Sun 30-Sep-12 18:37:48

As far as I know cdwm is an over 18 show so these young girls are actually adults smile

Alliwantisaroomsomewhere Sun 30-Sep-12 18:39:33

YANBU enjoying CDWM or regarding your comments about older women / younger men vs older men / younger women.

grin

GoldShip Sun 30-Sep-12 18:39:45

McHappy - so are the 'young boys' then? But no-one would have pulled the woman up for saying that. But if a man said 'young girls' people are up in arms?

GoldShip Sun 30-Sep-12 18:40:17

alliwant I bloody love the narrator. (Is that the right word?) he's so funny

McHappyPants2012 Sun 30-Sep-12 18:41:41

Of course they are adults smile

GoldShip Sun 30-Sep-12 18:42:10

Exactly McHappy but are you purposely missing my point?

McHappyPants2012 Sun 30-Sep-12 18:46:05

Got to love Dave lamb smile

I think the thread is about women not getting a backlash from her actions toward a young adult, but in the opposite if genders was reversed he would have some serious negative comments made.

From me no comments would be made

kittyandthegoldenfontanelles Sun 30-Sep-12 18:47:31

You are absolutely right. Apparently its fine for older women to be pervs. hmm

MrsWolowitz Sun 30-Sep-12 18:49:41

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

OldGreyWiffleTest Sun 30-Sep-12 19:09:37

As I keep saying - one day we will all be exactly the same and it really really doesn't matter.

pigletmania Sun 30-Sep-12 19:15:49

Love that programme very addictive

Leena49 Sun 30-Sep-12 19:53:16

They just look like sad old twats I'm afraid. I don't think perv I think saddo.

WanderingWhistle Sun 30-Sep-12 19:57:34

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

pumpkinsweetie Sun 30-Sep-12 19:59:39

I know which show you are talking off it was hilariousgrin.

OutragedAtThePriceOfFreddos Sun 30-Sep-12 20:01:20

I find it really cringeworthy when women do this. With men it's just disgusting and smarmy, but there is something really embarrassing and uncomfortable to watch about seeing a woman chasing after younger men. It makes me feel sorry for them because they don't seem to realise how desperate they look.

Fairyjen Sun 30-Sep-12 20:03:10

Forme it's all about the voice over! Quality it really is

complexnumber Sun 30-Sep-12 20:08:53

Wasn't there a thread started quite recently about how it is never reasonable to call a woman 'A young girl'

Is this what you are relating to OP?

GoldShip Sun 30-Sep-12 20:20:36

complex I did have that in the back of my mind but I just meant in general really

I agree it makes women seem desperate and silly. I just think its weird how the worst thing they'd get from others is pity, whereas a man doing the same would have a big backlash.

allthefun Sun 30-Sep-12 20:30:53

Why are 90% of the winners the one's that go last?

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now