Talk

Advanced search

To try and get an emergency appointment at the walk in surgery today

(8 Posts)
LesleyPumpshaft Sun 30-Sep-12 07:04:55

Sorry, Boring topic, but advice appreciated. Does anyone who know about how these walk in surgeries work?

I came down with a vile cold/flu type virus on Monday and I started to feel better, but then developed a chesty cough. I'm 99% certain that I have a chest infection now.

Been coughing myself awake at night for the last 3 nights and started getting a temperature yesterday. Woke up this morning with a temperature of 37.9 and feel like death warmed up. I freelance and have lots of jobs scheduled for next week.

Freelancers simply aren't allowed to be ill and it's very easy to lose clients if you let them down! Plus, DS is behind on homework, so I need to be on the ball enough to help him kick his ass into gear in the evenings.

If I leave it 'till tomorrow I honestly don't think I'll be well enough to drag myself to the doctors!

AIBU to try and get an emergency appointment today as DP will be able to run me up to the surgery?

Megatron Sun 30-Sep-12 07:06:31

Go. Get yourself sorted and hope you feel better soon. thanks

Sirzy Sun 30-Sep-12 07:06:53

If you feel so ill of course you need to try to see a dr!

LesleyPumpshaft Sun 30-Sep-12 07:11:49

Thanks Megatron & Sirzy. I'm worried that they will politely tell me to bugger off and go to the doctors tomorrow. DP works an hour away and GP's will be closed by the time he gets back tomorrow.

I've just had some paracetamol and will retire back to bed I think!

PinkPepper Sun 30-Sep-12 07:16:27

My walk in centres not 'emergency only' or anything. I used to be registered to it as a normal doctors when I lived right next to it. Only without the need to set an alarm for 8 to ring up for a chance of been seen.
There is normally a few hours wait and you have to physically go to get the appt unfortunatly. If you can't get one on phone at yours can dp go, get appt for you, then take you when it is. That's what I've done in past.

nextphase Sun 30-Sep-12 07:32:58

If its a walk in centre, you do exactly that, roll up, give the receptionist your details, and wait til your turn comes around. iirc, there is some sort of priority system, so a very severe case may skip some queues.

The other way we have got an appointment out of GP surgery hours is to phone NHS direct. A dr has phoned up back, and then requested we go to the hospital at X:YX time for a GP appointment.

Hope your feeling better soon - but if it is a chest infection, your better starting on the antibiotics.

PurpleCrazyHorse Sun 30-Sep-12 07:52:00

As others have said, try you local out of hours GP service. You usually get given an appointment and turn up at set time. At least you don't need to sit and wait in the reception. Walk in centre sounds good too. Definitely see someone today.

LesleyPumpshaft Sun 30-Sep-12 07:55:19

Thanks, I'm going to call NHS direct and try to get an out of hours appointment. Hopefully they can give me some antibiotics!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now