Talk

Advanced search

to think nobody should ever be asked if they want a senior ticket?

(44 Posts)
greyvix Sun 30-Sep-12 00:05:27

OK, so I am 52 and not looking very youthful, but I was shocked and upset this evening when the cinema attendant asked if I wanted a senior or adult ticket. I pointed out that anyone wanting a senior ticket would ask for one, and that it is offensive to ask.
DH said I should have said yes, and got a cheaper ticket, but it ruined my evening. Am I being unreasonable?

maytheoddsbeeverinyourfavour Sun 30-Sep-12 00:08:43

I think the cinema attendant was probably trying to be nice and save you a bit of money. My mum is over sixty and always appreciates being asked because she forgets to ask for it herself (nothing to do with her age she's always had a memory like a sieve grin)

WorraLiberty Sun 30-Sep-12 00:12:30

Oh gosh no

Lots of people won't ask for a senior ticket because they don't know about them.

In the same way some don't know about child/student/other kinds of tickets.

I'm sure the member of staff was only doing his job.

AgentZigzag Sun 30-Sep-12 00:12:48

YANBU to find it cheeky or to tell him.

Although I would have probably taken the ticket just to get one over on them grin

What did you go to see? Was it any good?

AgentZigzag Sun 30-Sep-12 00:13:03

And did you get salty or buttery popcorn?

greyvix Sun 30-Sep-12 00:17:33

We went to see Untouchable. It was a fantastic film, but spoiled by the fact that I was sitting there feeling really old!

WorraLiberty Sun 30-Sep-12 00:23:55

Don't let it worry you OP!

Some people look older than their years and some don't.

Some people dye their hair and try other ways of making themselves look younger and some don't.

I've known my DS's best friend's Mum for nearly 10 years and I was shocked when she invited me to her 50th birthday party because I was convinced she's at least 60.

Then again she's completely grey haired, wears no make up and is married to a man 15yrs older than her so I think that's maybe what contributed to my thoughts.

However, she's a stunning looking woman and she doesn't even have to try at it...think Helen Mirren and weep grin

greyvix Sun 30-Sep-12 00:25:59

Not really making me feel better, to be honest!

WorraLiberty Sun 30-Sep-12 00:27:42

I think I waffled a bit...sorry blush

What I'm trying to say is it's not an insult to look like you might qualify for a senior ticket even if you don't.

overthehill Sun 30-Sep-12 00:40:05

I know what you mean, greyvix, and how disconcerting it can be when it first happens. I'm 54, don't dye my hair or wear make up but don't consider I look that ancient and have had this a few times lately. When I was on holiday last year I went to a concert and was pleased to find that the ticket was cheaper than I'd expected - until I realised that they'd given me a senior ticket without even asking! I went to an art gallery recently and was asked if I'd like a concession price. I barked at the man, asking what sort of concessions there were and, obviously realising his mistake, he told me everything under the sun except for over-60s! I had done a uni course a few months ago so, to spite him, produced my student card and so he had to give me a student concession!

somedayma Sun 30-Sep-12 00:55:36

YABU. get over yourself. He was trying to do you a favour

IdPreferNot Sun 30-Sep-12 00:58:40

YABU, but I can understand why.

omfgkillmenow Sun 30-Sep-12 01:03:10

I got ID in saisburys for 2 bottles of wine I was 34, and had a weeks shopping on the belt, not just the wine, of course being a mature student I produced ID but student card not good enough, I had to have proof of age card, driving licence or passport, didn't have driving licence on me as had given it to work to drive pool car and not gotten it back, and who carries about their passport? So I walked out and left about £80 worth of shopping for them to put back...

folk said oh its a compliment, oh yeah, when you feel totally undermined I guarantee you its not...

CaliforniaLeaving Sun 30-Sep-12 01:08:30

I've taken offense at the same question.
It did make me take a hard look at myself, I had to admit I'd been busy and letting myself go. My clothes were getting old and I was looking frumpy, so I went and bought better fitting jeans and trousers and a few tops and got my bum into the hairdresser and viola I haven't been asked since.

FredFredGeorge Sun 30-Sep-12 07:49:20

Is the response not "Yes!" and then feel all smug about the money you've saved?

EugenesAxe Sun 30-Sep-12 07:49:29

I feel sorry for you but let it go. If you are that bothered you should do something about it. I've had a couple of times when not pregnant when people have asked if I wanted a seat - I just said 'Yeah thanks very much!' (because it was rammed), or 'Oh no thanks, I'm not actually pregnant at the moment'.

By age 60 there must be quite a lot of variation according to whether you go in the sun much and whether you have a predisposition to grey hair (or baldness, if you're a bloke). I agree with Worra; there may be people who don't know about concessional tickets and they must ask quite a broad spectrum of faces 'just in case'.

exoticfruits Sun 30-Sep-12 07:57:34

I sell tickets for something occasionally and it is the one thing that I really hate - I fudge it by pointing to the sign and saying ' these are the prices' and hope that they will then make it clear which they want.

honeytea Sun 30-Sep-12 08:01:47

YABU. Most young people can't tell the age of people over 40. No reason to be offended, I would have said yes and saved a bit of money.

ThompsonTwins Sun 30-Sep-12 08:09:43

I am 60 and until the last few months haven't looked it. Suddenly, despite the exercise, attitude, taking trouble over my appearance etc etc I look older than I am for the first time. It's sad but I do so much like not having to pay bus fares (live in a place with great bus services).

Tee2072 Sun 30-Sep-12 08:12:53

Next time say 'yes, I need a senior ticket' and pay less money for an over priced film.

Really, get a grip.

sookiesookie Sun 30-Sep-12 08:22:18

Yabu, mainly sue to the fact that I bet they get loads of complaints for not pointing out there is a cheaper ticket.

whois Sun 30-Sep-12 10:03:13

YABU

Get over it, asking you if you wanted a senior ticket wasn't done out of spite!

Seeing as its bothered you so much though, maybe you could do some clothes shopping, get a hair cut etc etc and you might feel better about yourself.

greyvix Sun 30-Sep-12 11:35:37

Thanks for all the support. IABU to post on here and not expect honest answers.

Sirzy Sun 30-Sep-12 11:37:14

Make the most of being offered the senior ticket and getting in cheaper!

WofflingOn Sun 30-Sep-12 11:41:03

My first thought was that the attendant was probably under 21. smile
They thought they was being helpful.
Rather like being a teacher, where you learn very quickly not to assume it's grandpa or grandma...

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now