Talk

Advanced search

To start the 'fireworks should be banned' in September?

(33 Posts)
Iamsparklyknickers Sat 29-Sep-12 19:32:44

Having just heard my first load of ear piercing rockets of the season?

Poor cats have just hot footed it in like they're in the middle of the blitz!

I love a good display,but I hate the amateur ones that just seem to be about the noise, let off at any old time from early evening till after midnight, have no restrictions about how far away from houses they should be let off (our gardens are like shoe boxes and it's a very densely populated area).

This won't finish till after new year now, although there was someone nearby who was still partial to them after the clocks changed in the spring and it was still light hmm

UnChartered Sat 29-Sep-12 19:38:14

uncanny

i can hear fireworks too confused

bureni Sat 29-Sep-12 19:41:56

Thankfully fireworks are banned here except for properly organised and policed displays which are far and few between.

FreddieMercurysBolero Sat 29-Sep-12 19:43:30

Fireworks are supposedly illegal here (Ireland) unless you obtain a licence for public events or somesuch. This year I heard the first one in the last week of August. I expect to hear the last in mid- November. Humph.

CanIOfferYouAPombear Sat 29-Sep-12 19:46:03

I don't know if Yabu or not, me and DP love fireworks and we use them before and after bonfire night. However we are very careful, we have a big garden and we don't do it late at night.

I think it's fine to use fireworks whenever you want but you should be considerate in your use.

TidyGOLDDancer Sat 29-Sep-12 19:47:17

Oh God, I expect I'll start hearing them too. I also love the big public displays, but think they should be banned from general sale.

FreddieMercurysBolero Sat 29-Sep-12 20:04:04

Bureni- I take it you are not in Ireland then!smile

Iamsparklyknickers Sat 29-Sep-12 20:10:37

Where are you bureni? What are the house prices like grin

catgirl1976 Sat 29-Sep-12 20:11:38

YABU. I love them. But I don't live somewhere where people are inconsiderate enough to let them off late(except NYE and Bonfire night of course) so perhaps I would feel differently if I did

MrsRobertDuvallHasRosacea Sat 29-Sep-12 20:18:20

I hate loud bangs .
I don't mind the whooshy ones.

We have never done fireworks at ome, or taken the dcs to a display either. Just doesn't excite me.

ilovesprouts Sat 29-Sep-12 20:21:06

dreading bf night ds2 hates em crys hours on end sad

marjproops Sat 29-Sep-12 20:24:02

Hate them and so does my autistic child, the elderly, and animals.. i dont mind organised in a park but not in streets and gardens. one place we lived in yobs bought them and put them through elderly neighbours letter box, gave the poor guy a heart attack and he didnt survive. of course the yobs got off with light slapped wrists..whole street was livid.thankfully we moved (so did a few people cos the yobs didnt move) but dont know what itll be like round here, weve only been here seince feb. fireworks are bloody dangerous and shouldnt be sold to all and sundry. there are age limits on fags and alcohol so why not these? rant rant!!as i said, fine in a field, an organised display at the time (nov 5th and new year) but not any other time.

Canidae Sat 29-Sep-12 21:10:58

Marjproops - there is an age limit on fireworks. It's 18. But like cigs/alcohol teens will get hold of them.

My currant dogs don't mind them but my old dog used to be terrified for hours and it was distressing to watch.

The large displays give people time to prepare kids/animals. We used to turn up radios and TVs and create a den for her but people letting them off all the time makes it hard.

Dolallytats Sat 29-Sep-12 21:20:17

Are we all in the same place?!? Fireworks were just going off here too!!

Sparklingbrook Sat 29-Sep-12 21:21:41

Fireworks here too tonight. shock

SarahStratton Sat 29-Sep-12 21:22:38

They were going off last night too. I bloody hate fireworks, and wish it was illegal to sell them.

TeacupTempest Sat 29-Sep-12 21:22:58

Bloody love fireworks!

laracroft2001 Sat 29-Sep-12 21:23:54

Wondering if anyone on this thread is living in east london....

Also been hearing fireworks

Sparklingbrook Sat 29-Sep-12 21:24:53

Anyone mentioned drug dealers yet? grin

Wolfiefan Sat 29-Sep-12 21:26:06

Not in London. They scare the pants off me! I'd never have anything to do with them unless I'm at an organised display.

Sirzy Sat 29-Sep-12 21:26:16

I hate fireworks, really wish they were limited to organised displays only.

If any of those who can hear fireworks tonight are near southport they have their big fireworks competition thingy tonight I believe.

UnChartered Sat 29-Sep-12 21:27:39

since am roughly half way between southport and east london, maybe i can hear both? grin

SuperTressy Sat 29-Sep-12 21:27:46

We live near to a wedding venue and they're always letting really loud fireworks off. The dog hates it and takes ages to settle down when they've had a display (which is at least once a week). I wish there was a law that made people use the noiseless ones except for Bonfire Night and New Year.

laracroft2001 Sat 29-Sep-12 21:28:18

Lol Unchartered grin

Dolallytats Sat 29-Sep-12 21:34:49

Yep Lara, I'm in East London!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now