Talk

Advanced search

AIBU to think that the over formatting of TV shows

(5 Posts)
BenandBolly Sat 29-Sep-12 18:01:27

is really patronising to viewers.

It's as though producers think that once a show is successful they have to dumb it down and flog the format to death.

For example Come Dine With Me used to be a show about cooking and the characters were secondary or equal, now it is just an over edited dumb down version showing extreme people.

Xfactor, started out showing the talented auditions. Now it is so formatted, laugh at this person, show a sob story (because the viewers will like that) and show a weird person.

Disclaimer, I don't watch x factor any more but just saw a clip and it made me want to throw something at the TV.

KentuckyFriedChildren Sat 29-Sep-12 18:18:44

Yanbu. This is why I just don't bother with tv and watch catch up of a select few programmes instead. It's not quite as bad as American shite tv though. Yet.

Ilovedaintynuts Sat 29-Sep-12 18:36:07

Oh I agree. But they do it because it works (in the short term).

X-factor is so boring and predictable now but someone must be watching it!

Big brother was like that, though. The first few series were brilliant - it was truly a social experiment and anyone who loved psychology saw real life theories in practice. I was fascinated! Then it became a victim of its own success and became a parody of itself. Just a joke show.

There is a lack of original thought. That is what I do love about American telly - Pilot season is so competitive, writers and producers competing with each other for the next big thing.

BenandBolly Sat 29-Sep-12 18:40:54

Yes true big brother first series was brilliant then slowly became unbearable and predictable.

All the property programmes as well, it's so patronising.

cogitosum Sat 29-Sep-12 18:44:12

I agree mostly but xfactor has always shown loads of the bad auditions (as did pop idol etc) in fact they probably show less of the actual audition now and more of the inane chat from the host (which is more irritating IMO)

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now