Talk

Advanced search

To think it's not worth risking your life to save a pet?

(209 Posts)
Liketochat1 Fri 28-Sep-12 18:22:45

A few weeks ago a young rugby star, his father and brother died after his dad jumped in a slurry pit to save the family dog. Earlier this week a mum and her partner died jumping into a river to save their dog. They died and the dog survived. Are pets worth this risk?

MrsRajeshKoothrappali Fri 28-Sep-12 18:23:27

Mine are!

SaraSidle Fri 28-Sep-12 18:24:23

Another thread designed to kick off 'liketochat'?

SammyTheSwedishSquirrel Fri 28-Sep-12 18:24:43

I think that in those circumstances people don't think, they just act. My sisters dog fell through the ice on a lake. She ran out instantly to save him. Thankfully they did both survive. But afterwards, once she'd been well and truely told off by me, she said that her own safety never even entered her head.

SaraSidle Fri 28-Sep-12 18:24:49

liketochat

whois Fri 28-Sep-12 18:25:17

YANBU

Unfortunalty I guess people don't realise quite how strong the river is, or how deep at the time.

I mean, if someone said "wait, I am from the future and the outcome of this is death for all involved" you wouldn't jump in! But you probably think you can save the dog and yourself at the time.

hiddenhome Fri 28-Sep-12 18:25:57

No, I wouldn't risk my life to save a pet, and I'm pretty fanatical about animals.

lydiamama Fri 28-Sep-12 18:26:21

They are not, but their owners loved them too much to stop and think about their own lifes before jumping in the water.

PoppadomPreach Fri 28-Sep-12 18:26:40

Ten years ago, when I had no partner and no family, and that was getting me down in a big way, I'd definitely have jumped in to save a family pet.

Now, with a DH and two kids, there's no way (despite how much it would traumatise me)

I think generally you shouldn't risk your life for your pet, and absolutely not if you have dependants, but I can understand why people do.

CamperFan Fri 28-Sep-12 18:28:17

As much as love our cats, if DH risked his own life to save them, I would be beyond furious.

babybythesea Fri 28-Sep-12 18:29:24

Well, in theory, I wouldn't.
In the heat of the moment, and seeing a creature I loved struggle for life, I suspect I might do.
I have worked in zoos for years. It's also worth noting that it's not just pets people would risk everything for - every so often we'd get a stern talking to by management along the lines of "If there is a fire, no-one but no-one is to risk anything going in to rescue animals." Because they all knew that if push came to shove, most of us would do anything to rescue animals we cared for who were in danger.

freddiefrog Fri 28-Sep-12 18:30:02

I love my dog but I wouldn't risk leaving my children without their mother

My dog loves water so when it's freezing I never take him anywhere there's ponds or lakes. He is a bull in a china shop and would jump in without thinking twice and I'd never forgive myself if he did come to any harm

TwllBach Fri 28-Sep-12 18:31:01

I don't think I would set out to 'risk my life to save my pet' but if she fell in a lake I'm pretty sure I would go in for her, because it wouldn't cross my mind that I wouldn't be able to get us both out.

HolyAutumnGoldBatman Fri 28-Sep-12 18:31:03

People probably don't think they're risking their lives at the time though. They either don't think at all or think they'll be able to save both the pet and themselves.

trixymalixy Fri 28-Sep-12 18:32:06

YANBU. There have been several stories recently about people sacrificing their lives to save their pets. It's such a waste and very very sad.

zukiecat Fri 28-Sep-12 18:32:26

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

HolyAutumnGoldBatman Fri 28-Sep-12 18:34:18

babybythesea your post just gave me the mental image of giraffes, lions, elephants etc all evacuating the zoo in pairs in an orderly manner and assembling in the car park.

FionaOJ Fri 28-Sep-12 18:34:34

Yanbu, but I can understand why people do it. And they didn't all die for the pets,.I think the first person that jumps in dosent think, they just react to their pet being in trouble. When that person gets in trouble themselves, other people jump in to save the person, not the pet (at least I hope so).

amillionyears Fri 28-Sep-12 18:35:03

But zukiecat,your DC may then be left for life without their mother.

FionaOJ Fri 28-Sep-12 18:36:16

And everything trixymalixy said ^

LilyCocoplatt Fri 28-Sep-12 18:38:11

YANBU, I would risk my life for a human family member but not my cat, I am fond of her but at the end of the day she is an animal not a person.

SoleSource Fri 28-Sep-12 18:38:45

yabu my goldfish are my life.

scottishmummy Fri 28-Sep-12 18:41:32

no
I'm not That sentimental or daft
pets replaceable

Onemoreforgoodmeasure Fri 28-Sep-12 18:42:51

What whois said!

LRDtheFeministDragon Fri 28-Sep-12 18:43:33

shock

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now