Advertisement

loader

Talk

Advanced search

To think that I should be able to get more than 6 months wear out of £95 boots?

(7 Posts)
LetsFaceTheMusicAndDance Fri 28-Sep-12 18:13:57

Hi
Serious question as I think my consumer protection rests on things lasting a 'reasonable' amount of time.

So....
I bought a pair of boot for £95 in M&S last Sept (have receipt). I've got them out to wear this week and there are cracks across both soles.
Timpsons said they can't really repair them as they will only crack again and that the boots should last longer.
I have the boots in another colour bought a month later which are fine - and obviously I haven't been wearing them in the summer or everyday in the winter as I wore both pairs alternately and wore other boots/shoes.

Any ideas about what a 'reasonable time' is please? I'm going in tomorrow to try to get M&S to repair them.

CakeMeIAmYours Fri 28-Sep-12 18:26:11

have a look here

The reasonable time depends on a lot of factors, the price being one of them; the price you paid for something carries implications of quality.

I think is is quite reasonable to assume that a £95 pair of boots should last more than 6 months.

I suggest you follow the steps in the link above and if you have no joy, make an appointment at the CAB and they will be able to help you further.

itsaruddygame Fri 28-Sep-12 18:27:14

Not sure if you will have much luck after a year but would recommend jones the boot maker for hard wearing boots! I have a pair on their third winter and I have hammered them and they still look good!

CakeMeIAmYours Fri 28-Sep-12 18:33:26

Oh sorry, just saw it was a year since you bought them, thought from the title that it was 6 months.

Still, I think you would have a case - it certainly can't hurt.

I recently got a brand new dishwasher from Bosch after mine had suffered the same fault 3 times in 2 and a half years. Their warranty only runs for 2 years, but I managed to argue the above and got a new one.

Stand your ground!

loveschocolate Fri 28-Sep-12 18:41:20

Taking them back after a year does sound a bit unreasonable though I get your point about not wearing them over the summer. M&S is one of the best for refund / vouchers and I've always found them v reasonable. They refunded a picture I returned for my sister with no questions or comments even though DH had torn the box apart to use the cardboard!

LetsFaceTheMusicAndDance Fri 28-Sep-12 18:44:46

Thanks for your replies.
I did buy them a year ago but even if I wore them 15 days per month, that would be only 90 days wear maximum. I'm not expecting a refund or exchange, but I think a repair isn't unreasonable after that amount of wear.
I'll give it a go.

CakeMeIAmYours Fri 28-Sep-12 18:48:22

That does count as a year's wear unfortunately. The shop have no way of verifying how many times you have worn them and it is kind of assumed that you won't wear the same boots/shoes every day.

A year's wear doesn't mean you haven't taken them off your feet for a year.

Still, I don't think you are being unreasonable to ask for a repair.

Good luck!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now