Advanced search

To remind you York is open for business

(9 Posts)
kim147 Fri 28-Sep-12 17:39:06

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

Bilbobagginstummy Fri 28-Sep-12 18:24:38

Wellies advised?

Trills Fri 28-Sep-12 18:28:14

I went to York in November 2 years ago and it was a little bit floody by the river then (some hotels with underground carparks were a little damp, some picnic benches by the river were unfit for picnicing) but most of the city is built up on a hill, as most old cities tend to be.

This is not an AIBU though.

nirvana1111 Fri 28-Sep-12 18:34:04

Half my street was flooded yesterday! Its gone now though, and luckily all houses are fine!
the flooding has peaked and going down quite fast now

TunipTheVegemal Fri 28-Sep-12 18:44:23

YABU if you come in without checking the traffic situation first though! Depending on where you're coming from it may not be good. DH was stuck in a jam for 45 mins on the way home tonight because of bridges over the Derwent somewhere being closed.
At least one of his colleagues couldn't get to work today from an outlying village on the Ouse.

quirrelquarrel Fri 28-Sep-12 19:10:56

Quite a few times this year on the way to school the bit near the Millenium bridge was completely underwater, with the bit going through the woods impossible to cross (tho it was fun trying....)....I dread to think what it's like now, when it's Officially flooding!

kim147 Fri 28-Sep-12 19:19:43

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

Saltire Fri 28-Sep-12 19:23:38

I live in an outlying village near the Ouse. Any more rain and I think we'd have been cut off. It already is taking more than an hour to get to York via diversions.
However no one got hurt or killed and although there ha sbeen some damage to some properties, they can be fixed

quirrelquarrel Fri 28-Sep-12 22:19:50

I rode through it when it was manageable and was wondering how to keep my legs up....then realised they're automatically up because of pedals hmm

I thought that they let the area around the pub be flooded just for the photos and journalists? doesn't make sense.

The Fulford area is gorgeous with or without floods.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now