Talk

Advanced search

Two faced Vet Nurse

(25 Posts)
CheerMum Fri 28-Sep-12 16:51:18

Am in a bad mood and want to vent. Sorry it is long but I'm very pissed off with the veterinary nurse in my local vets.

Took little Mister CheerCat to vets this morning for the snip. When I booked him in I was told it would be £45 for the op and then if needed we could take home some pain killers. Nice vet person said as he's a boy not a girl he prob wouldn't need the painkillers and to see how he got on as could always pop back if we needed some tablets.
Also asked nice vet person if they could shave around his bum hole as he is a long haired cat and sometimes has poop hanging off his butt which we end up cutting off and if they could shave if it would save me having to try to be his barber for a couple of weeks, No Probs said nice vet person.

So, this afternoon we go to pick up Little Mister CheerCat to be presented with a bill for over £60. When I queried it the snotty bitch veterinary nurse said that it included the painkillers. I said I'd been told he prob wouldn't need them, she agreed with that, then huffed and puffed about having to remove them from the bill. I asked if they had been able to shave his butt for me and then got a FIVE MINUTE lecture on how appalling his poor bottom's skin was and how I needed to take better care of him. It was, apparently, so sore and in a terrible state. She even managed to get in a lecture about regular worming!

I didn't say anything, just blushed, felt like the worst cat owner ever, and took the abuse bitched all the way home until I got home and gently looked at Mister CheerCat's bum. Nothing. Nada. Not even a slight pinkness. (And I know there wasn't a whole heap of poop hanging around when I took him there this morning).

So, AIBU to notice that the moment I questioned them slapping an extra third top of the bill, they went from nice friendly vet to ranting cow bag from hell?

LFCisTarkaDahl Fri 28-Sep-12 16:56:03

Next time instead of blushing and demurring say loudly "There's nothing wrong with his ARSE and I didn't ask for a lecture". Loudly and FIRMLY.

strap on a pair woman wink

Fluffycloudland77 Fri 28-Sep-12 16:58:46

They should be glad you had him neutered, loads dont.

WorraLiberty Fri 28-Sep-12 17:01:13

Can I just say I love the way you're protecting your cat's identity by calling him 'Little Mister CheerCat'?! grin

I expect that'll save him a few blushes....

They should be glad you had him neutered yes..

I am shock that you didn't agree to the painkillers though, i have always gotten them for the dogs, wouldn't like to have an operation then be in pain afterwards if i didn't have to be..

But, YANBU and i would have given as good as i got. Some vets and their staff are extremely rude.
Sorry you went through this and well done for having kitty fixed x

Next time instead of blushing and demurring say loudly "There's nothing wrong with his ARSE and I didn't ask for a lecture". Loudly and FIRMLY.

<LOL... nothing else.. just, LOL grin

CheerMum Fri 28-Sep-12 17:09:33

Tarka, I shall make sure you are free to come with me next time hehe

And yes, poor Pheonix Matthews Little Mister Cheer Cat wouldn't appreciate me telling you how funny he looks with half his arse hair missing and a big plastic collar round his head

pongysticks Fri 28-Sep-12 17:10:04

I had the same situation at my vets, minus the pongy poo bum situation. I refused to take the antibiotics they prescribed for my dog I have a vet that prescribes everything, so said that's great but I don;t want XX they almost tried to force me to buy the darn things as she had stuck a label on them...

twooter Fri 28-Sep-12 17:11:08

Cat castrations are a far smaller procedure than dog castrates, thing.

CheerMum Fri 28-Sep-12 17:12:29

He's fine Things, even I was surprised, but he is leaping around like normal, all in a mad attempt to remove his plastic bucket collar thing (I'm sick of tying the fucking thing back on him)

The most stressful bit has been stopping his best mate from licking his wound better for him ( LittleMisterCheerCat's best friend isn't the other kitty we adopted at the same time.....oh no.....he has to choose to be best buds with our seven stone Rottweiler!)

whogivesaduck1 Fri 28-Sep-12 17:13:31

haha!! i was thinking the same as worra bless you!

kiwigirl42 Fri 28-Sep-12 17:14:31

Lol! Nothing worse than having to trim a daggy cat bum. I have a ragdoll and every couple of mths have to trim the trousers to our mutual disgust!

bonzo77 Fri 28-Sep-12 17:17:27

OP don't worry about lack of pain killers. Little miss Bonzo kitty had none when she was spayed. She was clearly fine as she popped her stitches leaping from the top of the telly onto the top of a door hmm. As for cowbag nurse, she's clearly a liar as she hasn't seen your pristine cat's arse. I hope you gave her a good view of your cats- bum -mouth, before quietly musing that her experience of hairy- pooey- sore -arse was largely personal. grin

Ah right i wasn't going to make a big scene as i thought something similar about the PK's and size of the op lol

DDog (9mo great dane) actually surprised me my being fine and dandy and plastic collar free four days after the op.. had a rottie done a few years before and he was down for about 2 weeks poor lad, he was older though.

Anyway, yes i would definately have had a go, they had no right to belittle you like that.

lemonpie7 Fri 28-Sep-12 17:24:04

well, he is a lucky boy, with a clearly caring and concerned owner, so I have no doubt that he is well looked after and in a nice home. Ignore snooty woman, who is probably upset that you got the bill reduced and is taking it out on you in the only way she feels she has the power to do, lecturing you on animal care.

Merrin Fri 28-Sep-12 18:50:21

You should email a selection of close ups of his arse to her and demand an apology!

LynetteScavo Fri 28-Sep-12 18:57:56

if they could shave around his bum hole as he is a long haired cat and sometimes has poop hanging off his butt

This is why I love MN.

The vet nurse wasn't two faced, she was simply rude.

Find another practice.

We had a long haired cat when I was a child, and I don't remember any poo dongle problems.

I would expect painkillers to be included in the price. Female cats are more £ to spay that male cats are to neuter, so I would expect pain killers to be included in the price. confused

freddiefrog Fri 28-Sep-12 19:05:43

yanbu!

Find another practice!

Our old vets were so sanctimonious I always came out of there ready to report myself to the RSPCA

Our dog didn't need painkillers when he was neutered, we got them (they were included in the price) but I think they're still sitting in the cupboard unopened.

Lukethe3 Fri 28-Sep-12 19:26:01

Are you saying the nurse made up the fact that his bum was sore? Or was it actually sore? If so YABU to get cross with the nurse for telling you how it was.

Hemlet Fri 28-Sep-12 20:20:39

Luke, OP already said that there was no soreness around his bum.

Sounds like she's a self important bitch, a bit like one of the receptionists at my doctor surgery. The only reason she said about having a sore bum is because she couldn't protest you taking the painkillers off and had to get a snipe in there.

IllageVidiot Fri 28-Sep-12 20:52:28

Most common practice will be - painkilling injection given pre-op as part of the pre-med procedure. This will be included in the price (or should be) and painkillers subsequent to that will be on a 'do they need them' basis. They aren't left without painrelief (and often a pre-med will use a drug that has shorter analgesic properties as well as the longer acting painrelief given). By law they should be providing you with an itemised invoice, drugs should be listed and they should (sadly many don't) give a quick run through of what's what - this is pain killer, this is anaesthetic, op, dressings, post op abx etc.

Slight tangent sorry.

If you aren't happy with the service - leave. Seriously. If you have rude staff then your clients will go elsewhere. If you don't want to go then complain and let her head nurse deal with her.

MrsApplepants Fri 28-Sep-12 20:56:07

Change vets and tell them the reason why you are leaving. Rude staff will cost them customers.

DayShiftDoris Fri 28-Sep-12 22:41:48

I am in awe that some of you have been able to get a cat to allow you trim their bum holes!

Mine even resents worming and frontline... Infact I am 'not spoken to' for days after either!

theninjabreadma Fri 28-Sep-12 23:16:48

I had no idea that there was such an issue as poo dongle with cats, and reading about it just reinforces my complete bafflement that people actually own cats voluntarily grin

Meowmi Fri 28-Sep-12 23:23:42

Our old vets were so sanctimonious I always came out of there ready to report myself to the RSPCA grin!!!!!

Oh, i know that feeling well, My first vet was a complete and utter arsewipe
He made you feel like you were not worthy of your pet or his time but would add extra's on at every oppurtunity for your effort!!!! I hated him.

Op, Do change vets if you are not happy i did several weeks ago as i wasn't happy. The receptionist took a right attitude with me and then when i refused to pay for the drugs i had been prescribed, you'd have thought i'd asked her to wash her face in acid!!
I dont know if it was because, i was asking loads of question,s or that she had already stuck the label on (made a big deal about peeling it off again) or the fact they weren't getting any extra money out of me, but i am glad i changed now. New vet is much better (and cheaper)

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now