Talk

Advanced search

To be at my wits end on how to get theset texts to stop?

(80 Posts)
Lambzig Fri 28-Sep-12 16:50:39

I am currently 33 weeks pg with DC2.

When I was pregnant with DD (now 2.5), I found out very late in the pregnancy that I would not be able to breastfeed due to medication I am on and need to take every day (consultant assumed I knew and no-one discussed until 38 weeks). I was absolutely devastated at the time and it stopped me going out of the house when she was very little as I was ashamed to be ff in front of my bf friends (who btw were amazingly supportive when they found out).

Obviously, this time I know that I wont be able to BF and although I really explored with my doctor and my midwife if there was any way around it or the possibility of taking a break from the medication, but its not possible and although it saddens me, at least I am expecting it this time.

In the past three days I have been bombarded with texts (25 and counting) from the hospital (the same dept where my midwife sits), demanding (they really are written very pushily) my attendance at breastfeeding workshops. After the first few, I rang up and asked to be take off their list as I would not be attending. They said yes, but this has been ignored and more texts came. I spoke to my midwife yesterday who apologised and said she would sort it, yesterday, but another 8 texts today so far. I am finding it really distressing as its a constant reminder of my failure.

Have just called the number again and asked again for the texts to stop as I would not be attending and got a very aggressive person on the phone who said "dont you think sparing the time to get the best for your unborn child is important, or dont you care?". I didnt feel like explaining, so put the phone down and burst into tears.

How can I get this to stop?

LFCisTarkaDahl Fri 28-Sep-12 16:53:23

Call back and get the name of the twat who was so rude to you and then REPORT them, actually make a complaint. Bet they stop then.

Text Stop back to the number. Usually its a seperate company that is hired to send out these things on behalf of the council/hospital/school ect,

I would definately complain, what you describe is bordering on harrassment.

Mydogsleepsonthebed Fri 28-Sep-12 16:55:55

Or, alternatively, PM me the number and I'll ring them. and rip them a new one grin

gymmummy64 Fri 28-Sep-12 16:57:04

Good heavens how horribly insensitive. I would be very seriously considering a complaint.

I have no advice on how to get the texts to stop - it's a long time since I was involved with midwives, but I couldn't read your post and not reassure you that you ARE NOT A FAILURE in any way, shape or form for ffing, medical reasons or not. It's a great shame you weren't helped to come to terms with this the first time round and that it's affecting you badly this time as well.

Who can you talk to? Your midwife? Don't let this spoil the arrival of DC2!

ps, can you block the number on your phone? I can't block numbers on mine but I think you can on some

nickeldaisical Fri 28-Sep-12 16:58:19

i agree with LFC - you need to complain about the twat who was rude to you.

Besom Fri 28-Sep-12 16:59:48

Yes complain! FFs not what you need.

Lambzig Fri 28-Sep-12 17:01:18

I have just done the stop thing, so will see if that works. Another two came (several are quite different content, so do they do this to everyone) while I was posting so its 27 now.

I wondered if they bombard people on 3rd or 4th child as presumably if you had bf a couple of children before or even one and fully intended to bf your next, you still wouldnt want to attend their (no doubt rubbish) workshop.

Thank you mydog. I am not normally such a wimp, but will definitely complain (when I have my act together again).

OHforDUCKScake Fri 28-Sep-12 17:02:27

What?! She really said that?!

BlueSuedeStiletto Fri 28-Sep-12 17:05:14

How irritating. And what a rude, horrible person you spoke to. How dare they!? Complain.

If you have an iPhone or any Android phone you can download an app that blocks texts from specific numbers. You can set it to store the texts and read them later (might be helpful as evidence for a complaint) or just set it to delete all texts from that number. Maybe give that a go?

Lambzig Fri 28-Sep-12 17:07:02

Have a blackberry which obviously I dont know how to work properly - dont think you can block numbers on it. Am storing the texts to show my midwife when I see her next week.

badbride Fri 28-Sep-12 17:09:28

Alternatively, agree to go. Then don't turn up. If they complain, point out that if they don't want you wasting their time, perhaps they shouldn't waste yours by harrassing you with texts when you've clearly and repeatedly told them no to.

LulaPalooza Fri 28-Sep-12 17:14:52

If you have asked them not to text you and to remove you from the list then the organisation sending the texts is arguably in breach of the Privacy and Electronic Communications Regulations 2003 because these are in essence marketing a service, albeit a free one. Contact the person at the hospital who deals with information management.

Have a look at this and this from the Information Commissioner's Office website. It tells you more about your rights and how to complain.

TodaysAGoodDay Fri 28-Sep-12 17:15:24

That's shocking behaviour from the NHS. Please complain as previous posters have suggested.

Lambzig Fri 28-Sep-12 17:40:55

Another three texts, all different, all saying the same thing, so STOP didnt work.

Tried to call again, but obvs no-one there at the moment. Am dreading them arriving all weekend.

At least now its getting ridiculous instead of upsetting.

badbride Fri 28-Sep-12 18:10:46

Good advice from other posters regarding making official complaints. These things tend to work at glacial speed, unfortunately.

For a faster result, get a mate to pose as a journalist and phone up your NHS Trust's press office. Claim they're doing a story on how the NHS is wasting public money harassing expectant mothers with serious health conditions, while phone companies pocket the profits. Watch your problem get resolved with lightning speed ;)

Alternatively, phone one of the newspapers and do it for real smile

Lambzig Fri 28-Sep-12 18:13:24

oh, could definitely get my DH to do that, he would love it.

Will make official complaint and seeing my midwife on monday so will make complaint to her too (she is lovely).

perplexedpirate Fri 28-Sep-12 18:37:31

I am angry on your behalf.
Complain to the highest level.

angry

lydiamama Fri 28-Sep-12 18:42:12

If they ever text again, give them a call and ask to be deleted from their list again, and that you will claim against them for harassment if they ever contact you again.

IneedAsockamnesty Fri 28-Sep-12 18:42:36

is there any chance your meds could be changed to a different one?

WelshMaenad Fri 28-Sep-12 19:21:27

Text back FUCK OFF

I was getting millions of 'your loan has been approved, call us to arrange payout!' And 'stop' didn't work.

FUCK OFF worked a treat.

LOL i was going to say if stop doesn't work try fuck off lol

Chubfuddler Fri 28-Sep-12 19:52:53

Call PALS at the hospital. Then put complaint in writing, copied to chief executive of the trust, superintendent of midwives and your local councillor and MP. It's got to be a technical glitch but it must be costing £££ as well as upsetting you.

KenLeeeeeee Fri 28-Sep-12 19:58:17

Oh my god, I am so angry on your behalf! They have no right to harass you like this. Please do complain as highly as you can.

I'm pretty sure there IS a way of blocking specific numbers on a BlackBerry though, in the meantime. Whichever network you're on, try popping into their nearest shop as soon as you can (possibly avoid tomorrow though as they tend to be absurdly busy on Saturdays) and ask one of the staff to show you how to do it.

Dramajustfollowsme Fri 28-Sep-12 20:19:06

I found I shouldn't have been bf my dd because of my medication after I had been successfully feeding for 3 days. It made her poorly and that is how I found out. All my meds were written on my notes and nobody thought to say. angry
I was devastated that I had made dd ill by feeding her. We were still in hospital and I was giving her a ff when a new shift started. A nursery nurse gave me such a hard time about giving up bf and "no wonder dd was losing weight"
My dh came in and found me sobbing my heart out. sad I was so, so upset. We made a complaint and got an apology.
I hope you get it sorted. I agree breast is best -for most people. Just not us!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now