Talk

Advanced search

to think I am doing something wrong here?

(19 Posts)
extremepie Fri 28-Sep-12 15:23:17

I have always struggled with my weight but lately have gotten into much better eating habits since moving to a different part of the country and getting a job.

I was really hoping to have lost some weight over the last few months and I have - a grand total of 5lbs.

I know it is still a loss but what I feel is a really small one! This is taking into consideration the fact that I usually cycle 4 miles each way to and from work - plus I spend my entire shift standing up and walking around. Also the fact that I don't have a lot of money to spend on food and am not drinking much (if anything).

I cook proper meals and don't eat a lot of junk - I don't snack either as I work with food and so am not allowed to eat 'on duty'.

What am I doing wrong? I used to drink a lot of fizzy drinks but have cut those out too! Dh thinks I might be putting on muscle, hence why I am not losing much but its so frustrating when people hear about the fact I cycle to work & say 'oh, in a few months you'll be skinny as a rake' when in fact I'm averaging about 1/2lb a week if that sad

It's doubling annoying that my housemate's girlfriend moans about the fact that she is 8 1/2 stone and wants to lose more whereas I am over 4 stone heavier than her and despite working my arse off it doesn't feel like I am getting anywhere!

Sorry, rant over :P

Nancy66 Fri 28-Sep-12 15:24:56

are your portion sizes too big?

cozietoesie Fri 28-Sep-12 15:27:14

How do you look and feel, though?

smile

WorraLiberty Fri 28-Sep-12 15:27:47

Walking and cycling will rarely help anyone lose weight...it's great for maintaining it though.

If you want to lose weight and you think your diet and portion size is fine, you'll probably need a good old sweaty workout...rigorous exercise 2 or 3 times a week.

FredFredGeorge Fri 28-Sep-12 15:28:13

Are you changing shape? Lots of things do change when you get fitter that make you heavier but in a good way (you get more blood, you store more glycogen and water and things, you build muscle mass) and they will counter fat loss initially. Tracking how your shape's changing may well show more than just the scales.

CailinDana Fri 28-Sep-12 15:28:28

What are your reasons for wanting to lose weight?

wisden Fri 28-Sep-12 15:28:33

Have you measured yourself? Your weight loss might be slow but I bet you are losing inches. Do your clothes feel looser?

MotherOfNations Fri 28-Sep-12 15:29:10

Perhaps you'd be better to keep a record of your measurements rather than weigh yourself as it's perfectly possible that you could be losing inches even if you're not actually losing weight.

MotherOfNations Fri 28-Sep-12 15:29:41

Oops x post

frootshoots Fri 28-Sep-12 15:30:51

You need to start focussing on portion sizes. I've seen so many people who say "oh I'm so active, I run/cycle to work twice a day 5 days per week" and then go on to eat far too much food during their evening meal because they can 'afford to'.

Try keeping an honest food diary for a couple of weeks and I bet the problem is obvious.

frootshoots Fri 28-Sep-12 15:32:27

Ps you will not be gaining enough to muscle by cycling to only lose 1/2lb per week, it takes some serious muscle building and seict diet to bulk up. It's a common myth that muscle weighs more than fat, a pound is a pound. It's denser than fat, but no heavier.

cozietoesie Fri 28-Sep-12 15:33:49

Just to add - although my situation isn't quite the same as yours.

Until recently, I was exercising quite assiduously. Then I've had a fortnight off. My weight has remained much the same but over the fortnight I've got wobbly in places I was pretty taut before. Have a look at inches rather than raw pounds.

extremepie Fri 28-Sep-12 15:37:35

I want to lose weight mainly because I feel too big - I'm generally a size 14, which isn't massive but I just feel like 12 1/2 stone is too much for someone who is 5ft4. I'm sick of the BMI charts telling me I am obese!

I really want to slim my legs & belly down. I have measured myself as well as weighing myself since doing all this and my measurements have not changed at all - although according to that myhealthchecker thing where you put in your measurements to check your body fat I am within the healthy range.

My portion sizes have been a bit too big in the past but since I have moved I find my appetite has decreased somewhat and I just can't eat as much as I used to be able to.

Like I said, I'm not really sure what I'm doing wrong!

WorraLiberty Fri 28-Sep-12 15:39:24

Can you take up jogging or another strenuous activity to burn it off?

wisden Fri 28-Sep-12 15:40:58

Honestly, I would write down everything you eat for, the next 2 weeks. Really look at your portions, weigh out your pasta/meat/potatoes etc. It is frightening what we consider to be a small portion, and it is anything but. Plus I would ditch any low fat crap and diet food crap.

<wishes I could take my own advice, because I know it works>

cozietoesie Fri 28-Sep-12 15:42:14

Well I would try to concentrate on the fact that you're getting healthier - to enjoy the food you're eating and the exercise you're doing and just let the rest go on by. Grimly looking at the scales every time you go to the bathroom, or wherever, is no way to lead your life. You've made the lifestyle change for the healthier - now get on with living.

smile

wisden Fri 28-Sep-12 15:44:11

Oh and just because you aren't eating as much as you used to doesn't mean your portions still aren't too big.

I know it is hard when the weight comes off slowly, but like cozie said, you are getting healthier and you are making lifestyle changes. That is far better than a quick fix which would see you lose weight more quickly.

PropositionJoe Fri 28-Sep-12 15:45:39

Yup - food diary. Also, are a lot of your meals carb based? It helps me if I cut out carbs at lunchtime.

Lillabet Fri 28-Sep-12 15:52:45

All the advice given so far is good; keep a food diary (My Fitness Pal is very good and free) and be honest about your portion sizes (a teaspoon generally means a level teaspoon not the whacking great scoop of Nutella you can fit onto a teaspoon wink - applies to me by the way, not suggesting you do this). If you want to up your exercise, I can recommend 30 day shred, it really does give you a fab workout and the inch loss is great!
Congrats on making the changes you have so far thanks

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now