Talk

Advanced search

Not a AIBU post, but more traffic here and not getting a response in pregnancy section

(30 Posts)
Revelsarethebest Fri 28-Sep-12 14:56:00

im 38 weeks pregnant with first baby.

Had horrendous SPD since 8 weeks preg :-(

Over the last few weeks its got alot worse! I didnt think it could get any worse!

I cant bend down, put my socks and shoes on.

When i walk up or down stairs, i have to do it very slowley and then im panting and sometimes wheezing like mad when i ve reached the top.

Its now becoming too hard to drive. When gettting in my car i have to lift my legs in using my arms as they wont move high enough to get in the car.

Im then panting and wheezing again.

Im 25years old, was perfectly fine before i got pregnant.

I ve put on around 4-5 stone during this pregnancy, and im roughly 16stone now!! Im wondering if this is normal in pregnancy or if its the weight gain?

stoopstofolly Fri 28-Sep-12 15:06:14

I got SPD with both my pregnancies- the first , when I put on 4 stone (blush) and the second when I only put on 2 stone (learning lessons from the first!)
I was a lot more uncomfortable the fisrt time round- the heavier you are, the more uncomfortable the SPD is. However, I still ended up on crutches for the second pregnancy- apparently if you're going to get SPD then weight has nothing to do with it, although it makes it more uncomfortable,

Good news though- it IS possible to lose the weight afterwards and the SPD didn't have any lasting effects!
Good luck

Ithinkitsjustme Fri 28-Sep-12 15:06:18

Doesn't sound anything to worry about massively tbh, but if you are concerned go and see your midwife or GP, they are there to help and reassure you. If you worry about it then you are not going to yourself or your baby any good, so get checked out. On the bright side at least you are pregnant - I can't bend down and do up my shoelaces/ walk upstairs without getting out of breath and weigh 16 stone - and I'm not pregnant grin!

VIX1980 Fri 28-Sep-12 15:09:06

I has spd from 16 weeks onwards and only ended up putting on an extra stone and a half so it has nothing much to do with weight. i did manage to get fitted with a pregnancy belt which helped quite a bit while using crutches also.

i found getting a warm bath when needed also helped, you may be too far to have a belt but just ring your midwife or gp to see what they can offer, i think your allowed to take codeine for pain if it hurts, but pls check with your doctor first as everyones different.

VIX1980 Fri 28-Sep-12 15:10:39

oh and a week after the birth my sod had gone completely, its all about the cervix tilting and bone rubbing against bone basically, soon as the baby pops out the cervix goes back to normal..

(i think its the cervix, could be completely wrong about the part its called, sadly baby brain stick around longer than the spd smile)

VIX1980 Fri 28-Sep-12 15:10:55

*my son

I give up!!

HowToChangeThis Fri 28-Sep-12 15:12:20

A bit of both probably. Your skeleton is under huge strain carrying around a near term baby and excess weight. The good news is that you'll lost about 1.5 stone in the week or so after birth and after that can use breast feeding and exercise to lose weight. Just take it gently a pound a week is a good target and I wouldn't try for that until baby is 4 weeks old.

I'd put on 4 stone by the time i was 39 weeks with dd and lost all but 1 stone of it by the time she was 11 months. Then I got pregnant again but the weight is going on much more slowly now I'm chasing a toddler!

Revelsarethebest Fri 28-Sep-12 15:13:50

the pain is at the front, and legs, just under the bum line, sometimes i cant put weight on one of my legs because of it.

Its the wheezing and breathless i m worried about. Getting up off the sofa or walking into the kitchen has me panting and wheezing like mad!

RightBuggerforGOLD Fri 28-Sep-12 15:14:48

I got spd in both pregnancies. First pregnancy I gained about 2 stone and a few pounds, second pregnancy I gained 4 stone! Both times I had it really bad, but I think the first time was worth wrt stuff like not being able to put socks on etc. Obv the heavier you are, the more it will hurt in general when you have it, but it's not the weight that determines whether or not you get it at all or how severely, iykwim. It'll be gone in a few weeks though, good luck with everything! x

Pinkforever Fri 28-Sep-12 16:11:23

Call your miwife and tell her you want to be admitted to hospital. At 38 weeks your baby is ready to be boren so I wouldnt suffer any longer. I saw my friend go through spd and it was terrible<shudders>

Plus sudden onset of breathing problems could be dvt-please dont panic though as am sure it is not that but pkease do get checked out. All the best.

Revelsarethebest Fri 28-Sep-12 16:26:29

Pink, do you think its that serious???

I do have swollen ankles, calfs and feet, have done for 3 months, no shoes or socks on for three months!!

Afew midwives have seen my feet and ankles, and none of them were concerned. Blood pressure is normal, and urine is normal.

I thought they wont induce you unless in an emergency?

wonderstuff Fri 28-Sep-12 16:30:44

breathlessness can be a symptom of anaemia as well. I would definitely go back to midwife.

bamboobutton Fri 28-Sep-12 16:32:56

Have you had your iron levels checked recently? That may explain the breathlessness. I had very low iron in both mine (and diagnosed fibromyalgia)

bamboobutton Fri 28-Sep-12 16:34:52

Dd pressed post,grr.

So i was very breathless and was puffing and panting doing the simplest of domestic tasks.

Revelsarethebest Fri 28-Sep-12 16:35:51

iron levels checked at 28 weeks? was very good considering i was pregnant i was told.

wonderstuff Fri 28-Sep-12 16:41:38

Could have changed in 10 weeks, worth having them looked at again.

Pinkforever Fri 28-Sep-12 16:42:52

At 38 weeks weeks and in your position I am saying that I would go into hospital and basically I wouldnt leave until they had agreed to induce me. Some times you have to make a little noise to be heardgrin

Seriously do you think you could cope with another 4 weeks of this as thats how long you could have.

At least if you are in the hospital you are being monitored...

Pinkforever Fri 28-Sep-12 16:44:01

Please dont panic-very unlikely to be dvt but still think you should call your midwife just to be on the safe side.

Shellywelly1973 Fri 28-Sep-12 16:44:38

Hiya Op.

I had SPD during my 3rd pregnancy. I only weighed 9 1/2 stone when i gave birth.

I would suggest you speak to your midwife regarding the SPD & the other symptons you described.

I spent months in physio whilst pregnant&up untill the baby was 4months old. I could barely walk at times...

Post delivery i went to post natel exercise group and then started doing piliates.

I had very slight SPD in my 4th&5th pregnancy. I still experience slight pain each month around the time of my period...10years later!!

Exercise&really looking after yourself are the best ways to recover. You are at the absolute worst point-it will improve!!

Take care.

sookiesookie Fri 28-Sep-12 16:48:17

Don't worry. But do call your mw for a chat
the breathlessness is more than likely a result of the weight gain and the strain that plus the pg is causing. The weight will also be making the spd worse. The swollen feet and ankles is perfectly normal in pg. However it can be a symptom of more serious issues.
At 38 weeks your baby is not ready to be born and should only be brought if yours or the babys health is at risk.
I don't think you have anything that requires instant medical attention, but could be worth calling mw.

topsmart Fri 28-Sep-12 16:52:39

Have the midwives not referred you to a physiotherapist? That's what mine did, and I was given loads of good advice - simple stuff like sitting down to put on trousers, swinging both legs out of car (ie avoiding scissoring). Have you been struggling on alone? You poor thing!

Badgersnatch Fri 28-Sep-12 16:57:20

The breathing thing does sond a worry, especially if you've go very swollen ankles etc. You need to get checked out for the sake of your unborn child, no one will mind.

Revelsarethebest Fri 28-Sep-12 16:58:48

i ve had ten weeks of physio which stopped around 29 weeks.

I dont have a direct number for my MW, shes only at my docs one day a week which is a wed.

I havent got another midwife appointment either due to my MW being on holiday and the other midwife which was standing in said there was no appointments left until after my due date!!

My own midwife is back this wed, so i have to ring the docs up to speak to her to see if she will see me at her own discrecion !

Im also under a consultant, but thats not for anything serious.

Badgersnatch Fri 28-Sep-12 17:13:21

Phone labour ward at the hospital if you can't get the community midwives.

Revelsarethebest Fri 28-Sep-12 17:16:40

just rang anti natal day unit at the hospital who say its not really anything to be concerened about, as your lungs do have alot of strain on them during late pregnancy. hmm

But they are willing to see me tomorrow afternoon.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now