Talk

Advanced search

do they really humiliate Bigger BMI pregnant women now?

(179 Posts)
KillerRack Fri 28-Sep-12 14:53:54

I am a bigger BMI, and have anxiety issues.

I've been turning my own stomach recently worrying that in hospital they will make me you have to use a fat person delivery room, or a huge bed or god knows what.

just need some reassurrance it hasn't turned into a circus really?.

AIBU to worry so much??.

Boggler Fri 28-Sep-12 14:59:28

I think you'd have to be very big before they made you have a special bed or use a special room. Obviously if you're too big for a normal one then this would have to happen or you couldn't o to hospital. I'm not small my BMI=30 and nothing was ever said about being singled out for special treatment - other than a glucose tolerance test which is standard practice for higher BMI's. So Op I wouldn't worry and none of the mw's will be unkind especially if you explain your anxiety issues.

pinkdelight Fri 28-Sep-12 14:59:57

Is this because of the other thread? I wouldn't let it alarm you unduly. I had an 'obese' category BMI during my last pregnancy and it just meant I had to do a fasting blood test and go to a clinic to check for gestational diabetes. I didn't have it. (My non-obese friend did and wasn't checked so didn't find out till very late on.) That aside, I just got the occasional comment about healthy eating, which I took on board and two years later I'm a healthy BMI. Hope that's reassuring.

I wouldn't say humiliate, no. In my experience they like to make sure you are aware of the risks involved. Although how that is at all helpful once you're already pregnant I failed to understand!

Don't be anxious about it. If your BMI is over 35 you will be consultant led and have extra appointments (in my area anyway) but its really nothing to get het up about smile

MrSunshine Fri 28-Sep-12 15:02:44

nobody wants to humiliate you, you will only get special equipment or attention if it is medically necessary.

KillerRack Fri 28-Sep-12 15:03:21

Which other thread??

Tbh I huge amounts of people are classed as obese now, who looking at them you've think , nah..just a bit chubby.

I am classed as m.obese by my BMI blush but I can fit in a normal bed perfectly :/ I am v.tall I suppose it disguises ^some of it.

Oh and I didn't have to do a gtt despite a BMI of 36. Maybe I should have though...my ante natal care was a bit chaotic!

KeemaNaanAndCurryOn Fri 28-Sep-12 15:06:38

I was obese when I had my last DC and they made no reference to it during the birth at all.

The only comment was on my scan that said that it wasn't clear due to "maternal habitus" which basically meant my fat belly. grin

No one will humiliate you or make you feel bad. They just want to make sure that you are cared for properly and your baby delivered safely.

frootshoots Fri 28-Sep-12 15:08:30

I was just over 15st when I was pregnant, was never once mentioned except for in my first scan notes when it said something like 'quality poor due to maternal BMI". I hadn't glucose tolerance test, which was fine. And gave birth in a normal room. I actually had a very smooth pregnany and easy birth. Have since lost all excess weight, be interested to see how different a pregnancy would be now!

ChazsGoldAttitude Fri 28-Sep-12 15:10:32

Another obese mum here. It wasn't even mentioned when I was giving birth and mine was a higher risk delivery because it was a VBAC (normal delivery after previous C Section).

Faverolles Fri 28-Sep-12 16:17:07

I was a BMI 40 when I had dc4. I was consultant led anyway because he was my 4th CS.
I had a GTT, but all was fine, and I actually had my easiest pregnancy, CS and recovery.
The midwives and dr's I saw we're all lovely, no-one humiliated me at all. They were honest about any risks, and advised me to aim for no weight gain (which I easily managed)

BikeRunSki Fri 28-Sep-12 16:21:01

Not at all. Not in Barnsley anyway.

OddGoldBoots Fri 28-Sep-12 16:25:48

It seems that each NHS trust has it's own guidelines but the lightest I have seen from a quick google is 28 stone to need a bariatric bed so if you are lighter than that you don't need to worry but if you are heavier then talk to your midwife about your concerns.

DesperatelySeekingPomBears Fri 28-Sep-12 16:31:29

My BMI. was 35 at my booking appointment. I was told I should aim to be a stone lighter at the end of my pregnancy (so taking into account the weight of full term DS, fluid, placenta etc) so basically to lose 2.5st of my own weight. Whilst pregnant.

My consultant very kindly told me "fat people are more likely to have stillborns, you know". Which I found awfully reassuring at 32 weeks pregnant. I do think they could withhold the "helpful" advice about weight in pregnancy, after all, if you're already pregnant there's naff all you can do about it, which means they're just scaring women, really, which seems cruel and unnecessary.

PomBearWithAnOFRS Fri 28-Sep-12 16:31:57

I was over 20 stone when no4 son (fifth baby) was born. I also have various things wrong with my back and hip and am like a beached whale once I'm lying down, especially with a 40+ bump, and none of the medical staff were anything other than professional, helpful, kind, and polite to me at any time. They did broach the subject of my weight, they had to, but they never made me feel bad about it, or that I was being "got at" or singled out/picked on, and they were actually kinder to me than I was to myself iykwim.

Bunbaker Fri 28-Sep-12 16:34:22

"Tbh I huge amounts of people are classed as obese now, who looking at them you've think , nah..just a bit chubby."

Who are you kidding?

MrSunshine Fri 28-Sep-12 16:37:54

Only the obese people are classed as obese. The standard hasn't changed, just there are a lot more of them and your norm has shifted towards it.

Boggler Fri 28-Sep-12 16:44:59

A bit mean bunbaker.

Chandon Fri 28-Sep-12 17:08:57

Hello Killerrack,

in my experience hospital staff never set out to humiliate anyone, and will be very discreet and sensitive but mainly practical and to the point.

they will look after you and it will be fine. Nobody asked my weight when I went into labour.

My bmi was 30 and i didnt even have the gtt. Was only mentioned once in my two pregnancies, when i saw a consultant for an unrelated issue and she said obese people are recommended to take multivits

Icelollycraving Fri 28-Sep-12 17:38:56

I had consultant led care for a few reasons,one being my bmi. I found some of the comments a bit patronising but nothing too bad really. They were doing their job,I took it on the chin(s).

MammaTJisWearingGold Fri 28-Sep-12 17:44:41

They were all lovely to me in hospital and I am very cuddly obese. Don't worry about it.

WorraLiberty Fri 28-Sep-12 17:45:15

You can probably expect the same comments and advice that smokers get during pregnancy regarding the possible risks to you and your baby.

However, I certainly don't agree with your comment that people who are 'just a bit chubby' are being classed as obese now.

It's more likely that if you really think that, your judgement is a bit skewed on what overweight/underweight people actually look like.

I havent been humiliated once during either of my pregnancies.

MerylStrop Fri 28-Sep-12 18:12:14

I had a BMI of 29 in my second pg
and probably weighed about three stone less than most of the midwives and HCPs I saw...
You should expect to be treated with respect and understanding, I know that I was. And FWIW I would read around whether a Glucose Intolerance test is really necessary if your routine tests are all normal.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now