Advertisement

loader

Talk

Advanced search

to be sick of the constant health scare/health miracle headlines in the Daily Express

(6 Posts)
upsylazy Fri 28-Sep-12 14:40:16

Let's be clear, I don't buy this piece of shit and, before I read Bad Science, I had never really noticed this. Every front page screams some nonsense about potatoes curing cancer, "miracle" pills for diabetes, high blood pressure etc or about potatoes causing cancer or about 2 cups of coffee a day making your legs fall off. They are all completely factually wrong - the latest one was a "miracle anti-ageing pill" which will be able to stop or reverse the ageing process so that everyone lives to 250 without ever getting wrinkles or dodgy knees. When you actually read the article, it says that scientists have found some molecule that contributes to muscles and bones weakening with age and that possibly in about 100 years, they may be able to use this knowledge to develop medication which slows down osteoporosis. Ben Goldacre illustrated this perfectly after a study showed a possible very slight increase in a relatively rare kind of cancer if people took the max dose of Ibuprofen every day for more than about 2 years translated into the headline "How pills for your headache can kill". I know that most sensible people aren't going to buy the DE or believe this rubbish but I'm sure that some more vulnerable people get quite scared by some of these headlines or falsely get their hopes raised by thinking that eating bananas will cure their terminal cancer.

LadySybildeChocolate Fri 28-Sep-12 14:40:59

Why don't you read something else? confused

WorraLiberty Fri 28-Sep-12 14:42:59

How do you get to read it without buying it?

upsylazy Fri 28-Sep-12 14:43:37

Lady, I do read lotsof other things and I don't buy it, I just find myself drawn to looking at the front page to see what new depths they can reach in terms of inaccuracy.

upsylazy Fri 28-Sep-12 14:45:10

Worra I don't read the whole thing, I read the headline and then the column on the next page when it explains that the headline is not actually true. Then I put it down and buy The Guardian.

WorraLiberty Fri 28-Sep-12 14:51:55

So you're one of these annoying people who treats their local newsagents like a library?

Just buy it instead of reading it for free ya tight git! grin

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now