Talk

Advanced search

to go back to school?

(20 Posts)
fuzzybuzzy Fri 28-Sep-12 12:59:37

DD 18 months DS 5.
I have not been in employment for a LONG time.I have not very good qualifications and few skills.
I love being a mum, but my life feels a bit ground hog day.I am also very scared of when DD goes to nursery/school.What will I do all day?
I feel a bit depressed and lonely, and disconnected.
I just have such low confidence in my ability to see through a degree.
Obviusly I would have to do a foundation first.
DD would have to go into a childcare setting of some sort.Is 18 months too young for this?
Keep in mind that our family can afford for me to stay at home and be with dd.
Should I wait another year so that she is a bit older?
I have never managed to complete anything.
Dropped out of uni, failed a diploma a few years later.I just feel like a looser, and will be so ashamed in front of DH and family for failing/ not completing the course.
Also I would have to complete a maths GCSE.I never got mine.I am terrified of this.

TheGoldenKnid Fri 28-Sep-12 13:06:33

Have a look at the Open University website. smile

RaisinDEtre Fri 28-Sep-12 13:08:24

Do you know what, I would start with summat like the maths gcse, boost your confidence academically

SammyTheSwedishSquirrel Fri 28-Sep-12 13:10:15

I second the OU. You can do bite sized courses which don't seem as overwealming as a whole degree, but they all count.

SammyTheSwedishSquirrel Fri 28-Sep-12 13:11:22

*overwhelming

Gahd, I appear to have lost my ability to write during the night.

UsingAPsuedonym Fri 28-Sep-12 13:13:17

Ask at children's centres and adult ed as there are often free courses to help with gcse maths. Just doing one class wouldn't take you away from children for too long and increase your confidence. Ou is amazing at. Gcse maths could be very useful, with other people etc.

AMumInScotland Fri 28-Sep-12 13:15:24

How about starting with just the maths then? If you look at your local FE colleges, you'll probably find they have options of either daytime or evening classes, and possibly a "returning to education" option. ANd some provide creches. That way you wouldn't be jumping in all in one go, but can get used to studying a little at a time.

Numberlock Fri 28-Sep-12 13:17:59

Dropped out of uni, failed a diploma a few years later

Can you identify the reasons why you dropped out of university and failed the diploma? Perhaps these have disappeared/changed over time and now you're a little older, you will be approaching it from a different angle. That would be a good starting point in helping you complete the course this time round.

Do you need Maths GCSE for an OU course? What subject would you like to study?

fuzzybuzzy Fri 28-Sep-12 13:22:20

I am 30.
To qualify in my field I need a foundation and a degree.
Just that would take me to 34.I am aware that time is finite and just got the urge to get on with it.The reality of covering childcare , feeling guilty that she is too young to leave and the possibility of dropping out makes me reluctant.
I do not think I have the discipline needed for the OU.
Starting with just the maths is an idea....

redexpat Fri 28-Sep-12 13:25:37

I think it sounds like a really good idea. And I second all the bitesize ideas. If you feel able to tell us, why did you fail the diploma? Did you have other stuff going on, was it the wrong subject, were you not guided in your learning, rubbish teaching, poor attendance?

If you got into uni in the first place you must have done something right! And if you did it once you can do it again. And think of how proud your family will be of you then.

fuzzybuzzy Fri 28-Sep-12 13:26:11

I would like to be a Social Worker.

redexpat Fri 28-Sep-12 13:27:51

Oh I'm 31 and have just started full time on a social owrk course. It will take 3 1/2 years. That leaves me with at least 30 years of working ahead of me. DS is 11 MO and in full time care. I felt awful the first 2 days, then I got over it.

Foxy800 Fri 28-Sep-12 13:28:21

I also back the Ou suggestion, i am currently in my third year with them and finding it really good and rewarding.

fuzzybuzzy Fri 28-Sep-12 13:30:36

I failed the degree because I was not up to scratch.I partied too much and was not that interested.I also smoked too much weed.

The Diploma was kind of the same thing.I was more interested in being there and did really well, other than repeatedly failing one module.It was very hard for me and destroyed my confidence.I failed the same module 3 times.

fuzzybuzzy Fri 28-Sep-12 13:33:53

redexpat How do you handle the workload?
Do you finnish your day at uni , go home and study more?
When do you fit it all in?

AMumInScotland Fri 28-Sep-12 13:34:49

It sounds like you need something to help you get your confidence back, since you got into courses before you must have had decent grades from school so academic learning shouldn't be beyond you, it's just a matter of getting back into it.

OU is brilliant, but if you think you lack discipline then maybe something where you have to be there for set times would help keep you focussed - normally I'd say the flexibility of OU is great with children, but it can be hard to make yourself set aside the time.

And if you're a bit lonely and disconnected, seeing other people on your course might be a help.

redexpat Fri 28-Sep-12 13:43:37

I'll pm you!

Numberlock Fri 28-Sep-12 13:45:37

I would like to be a Social Worker

I don't know anything about this line of work I'm afraid. Are there are other routes into the profession without having a degree?

fuzzybuzzy Sat 29-Sep-12 10:35:41

Thanks all .
I probably will wait till next year, as childcare costs will be too much right now.

TirednessKills Sat 29-Sep-12 11:23:00

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now