Talk

Advanced search

To have reservations about Whooping Cough jab whilst pregnant?

(5 Posts)
SomebodyIUsedToKnow Fri 28-Sep-12 11:13:24

Have seen on the news that this vaccine will now be offered to all pregnant women, at reportedly very low risk...
But, as this vaccine isn't typically offered to pregnant women, can I be sure there is no risk to the baby?

PeshwariNaan Fri 28-Sep-12 11:21:54

You can't be sure, but the vaccination has been standard in the US and many other countries for years with no ill outcomes in children. It's been studied extensively in the US. By the way, there's a thread in Pregnancy about this if you're interested.

ProudNeathGirl Fri 28-Sep-12 11:22:08

A new born baby is at far greater risk if it catches the disease than it would be from having the vaccination. There's currently an outbreak of whooping cough, which isn't all that serious in older kids, but can be fatal in new borns.
They are vaccinated at about 12 weeks anyway. Pregnant women in Europe have the whooping cough vaccination as routine.

Sirzy Fri 28-Sep-12 11:29:14

Babies are vaccinated at 8 (?) weeks anyway, but there have been a number of cases of babies younger than this being very ill with whooping cough so this is a measure to try to avoid that as the situation seems to be getting worse at the moment

SomebodyIUsedToKnow Fri 28-Sep-12 12:03:50

Ah, I didn't realise it was standard in other countries, that's interesting - thanks.
I will check the pregnancy thread!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now