Talk

Advanced search

to be ashamed by how untidy my house is when I feel like I'm cleaning all the time!

(15 Posts)
newmummytobe79 Fri 28-Sep-12 09:35:37

That's it really.

Went to visit friends newborn and her house was just so lovely! Clean, tidy and just so homely.

Mine on the other hand is a tip! I'm constantly hoovering and mopping the floor (crawling little one so it's a must really!) - there are toys and books everywhere! Our house looks like a laundry as I'm drying daily washes on hangers, raidiators, maiden etc

The spare room - well you just can't see the bed as it's covered in clothes/baby stuff that we're not using/boxes of crap!

There are piles of clothes I haven't got round to ironing and piles of mail I need to sort out etc

Granted she has more storage space and assures me that stuff is just shoved in cupboards grin - but I just feel I spend my days cleaning/tidying but the house always looks a tip!

Loft is full, under beds are full - do I just chuck a load of stuff out?

AMumInScotland Fri 28-Sep-12 09:51:55

Things can be really clean without being tidy, its more about how much stuff you have and what storage options. PLus a newborn is a lot easier than a crawler in terms of having toys out everywhere!

Is a lot of the clutter in daily use, or is it stuff that has nowhere to go? If you are bothered by it, and are out of storage space, then a good clearout of the loft etc may be a good investment - then you'll have available cupboards you can actually use, instead of ones that are already full of things you never use.

ChiefPotterer Fri 28-Sep-12 09:51:56

Haven't much advice for you but plenty of sympathy!. My house is exactly the same, I am a SAHM and feel like although I do stuff every day my house never looks any better-we don't have any storage space and I have bought plenty of those little plastic drawer sets off argos for toy storage but they are now full to capacity of plastic tat so kind of defeats the purpose!. Will keep an eye on this thread for advice/solidarity.

bubalou Fri 28-Sep-12 09:57:13

I feel the same.

I work 30 hours a week and have DS aged 4 who started school a few weeks ago - plus DH who works and goes away alot plus 2 very hairy dogs that malt everywhere!!!!

It feels like a big circle when I just keep going round and then I have to start at the beginning again.

However I do occasionally have a day when I feel the 'need' to sort stuff out (not very often)

I recently did a massive clear out of everything - both the spare rooms, the loft and all the crap piled in my study - all wardrobes and draws too!!!

I did a bootsale and made £300 - then took the remaining clothes to salvation army, all the other crap in the house (2 large cars full) we took to the tip.

I can honestly say I've never felt better? It's weird and kind of cleansing to be really brutal when throwing stuff out.

Get chucking.
grin

tiggytape Fri 28-Sep-12 09:57:24

It is lack of storage. Even if it is spotless it can still look messy if you don't have enough room to store things away.
You'll either have to be ruthless and throw stuff out / give to charity or slowly invest in great storage like cupboards and shelves built into every alcove. Boxes and baskets are great but to hold serious amounts of crap stuff, you need at least a couple floor to ceiling cupboards / shelves. And even then you have to have a cull every so often and throw away things you don't use.

Ambi Fri 28-Sep-12 10:02:50

You sound like my friend, she has a small house but lots of stuff, it's really clean but she comments on how tidy our house is. I'm no domestic goddess at all (rarely mop the floors etc) but we have hardly any things so it looks tidier. Maybe a big clearout would help.

PostBellumBugsy Fri 28-Sep-12 10:03:38

It really is storage. You don't have to have a big house to have loads of storage, you just have to get organised. There are so many fantastic storage solutions & they don't have to be expensive either.

The long shallow boxes that you often see piled up near the tills at supermarkets are fantastic for under bed storage & they can be decorated & used to stack up for storing children's toys. You can also use them to store stuff on top of kitchen cubpoards too, if you have a gap there. If you have a bit more cash, you can buy baskets or coloured containers & use them.

Clear stuff out too. Use those bags the Salvation Army shove through letter boxes, take stuff to the tip, flog it on ebay, give it to friends. We all have far too much stuff - just get rid.

It is much easier to clean too, when you have less stuff. Think how quick it is to wipe the kitchen & bathroom surfaces, when they are not covered in stuff and to hoover the floors when you are not dodging clutter.

Jahan Fri 28-Sep-12 10:05:34

Yes - chuck stuff out that you don't really need and your boxes of crap.
I hardly iron any clothes (we are not unkempt though or look scruffy). I fold or hang clothes as soon as they're dry. You'll find that most clothes can get away with not being ironed. I usually only iron uniforms, work clothes and jeans. Other kids clothes do not need ironing.

My house is similar but is getting better. I've done loads of decluttering and am reorganising storage space.
The kids room is v bad but I'm ordering a large wardrobe as the one they have at the moment is not suitable for 2 kids sharing. I've also got rid of lots of toys and clothes.

I was chatting with a friend about how messy my house is 'But your house is always tidy!' she exclaimed. Its good to know I give that impression by quickly whizzing around and shoving things away when I know I have someone coming over smile

porcamiseria Fri 28-Sep-12 10:05:51

its all about the storage

you have shit everywhere, as clearly nowehere to store it

look at house and envisage what it would look like if u had books/toys etc all stored asway?

declutter
throw away
and buys some boxes!!!

Alliwantisaroomsomewhere Fri 28-Sep-12 10:12:11

I have STUFF everywhere, too. I childmind - so that's my excuse!

Tryharder Fri 28-Sep-12 10:12:42

I work FT and have 3 young children and my house is Ok in terms of clean and tidyness albeit in major need of decorating.

The trick is to be ruthless with stuff. I eBay/take to charity/tip everything once it has been grown out of or no longer used. Plus I have a very large shed in my back garden that is full to the brim.

Friends I have with messy houses are nearly always hoarders!

RaisinDEtre Fri 28-Sep-12 10:13:46

Hmmm perhaps you need to rein in your spending a tad ?

VinegarTits Fri 28-Sep-12 10:17:32

i agree, you need to de-clutter, and you dont need to do it all in one go, tackle a small bit every day by the end of the month it will look tidier

i think even the cleanest of houses will feel untidy if there is lots of clutter

ellathefox Fri 28-Sep-12 10:25:29

Maybe she has secret mess? My house can look spotless when people come over but only because I spend 10 minutes ramming everything into cupboards then force the door shut. When I'm not expecting anyone it's a tip.

Chandon Fri 28-Sep-12 10:25:37

yes, the secret is to chuck things out if you'll never use them again (old baby clothes, slightly stained blankets, shoes that are old but still have a bit of wear in them, yet you never wear them, endless art work of the DC (keep a few, chuck 95%), DVds you'll never watch again, books you don't even like, old magazines etc etc OUT OUT OUT).

It is liberating. One corner at a time . have just done my wardrobe, chucked everything on the bed only put back what I actually wear. Some "special" pieces that I rarely wear in loft, rest to charity (two bin bags full).

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now